Looks like another year of cheap/injured/washed up Free Agents for us

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
The FO has its own way of approaching FA. It's not going to change. They build the team from the draft and in FA they try to keep their own guys.
But they tend to also over-sign their own to avoid FA and in the same line push the narrative that they draft well. I get it when you have quality players, but when you over spend to re-sign your own then have nothing left for FA, you're really just missing both worlds. It's not like we get hometown discounts on these deals either...we pay top dollar every time.

Last edited:

MaineBoy

Reaction score
There really is no hope with the Joneses running the Cowboys. I read recently that the Cowboys will have some of the lowest cap space in the next year or so; even after spending cheap in free agency all these years and Stephen as our self proclaimed Cap Manager savant. The one pathetic move they make on Day 1 is to reward our long snapper by cutting him a few games short of the record so Witten keeps it and the PR machine keeps on rolling while they schedule Witten Day so they can sell his jerseys.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Look who they are interested in...

The player is either cheap, old, injured or str8 up washed up, nothing has changed...
This organization will never learn.....

Too bad cause there is/was some good players out there who will help some teams win
Honestly who would you sign for a bunch of $?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Welcome to the next 4 years of free agency
Sorry to break it to you and your delusions that Daks contract is why we wont be signing people. We didnt sign anyone before Dak, during Dak on his rookie deal and wont after. The problem isnt Dak's contract. Its Dumb and Dumber upstairs who dont believe in FA.

blueblood70

Reaction score
hey Karens stop the whiny little chic tears,

day 2 is here and not one of our Targets are off the board yet..no run on DTS or DBS have happened..there are a lot of players left

jrumann59

Reaction score
Funny narrative, over the 26 years they have done it both ways. Their timing sucked but when the roster was bereft of talent and you had guys like Troy Hambrick and QC as the QB they looked at top flight FA. Now when they have talent on paper they don't. That being said most of the players just signed are not generational talents and are not head and shoulders better than the ones still out there in the 2nd wave.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

The player is either cheap, old, injured or str8 up washed up, nothing has changed...

Too bad cause there is/was some good players out there who will help some teams win
I have been saying it for a while. I don't want us to pursue any FAs this year. this defense is a big unknown. we need to let Quinn implement his system, as well as draft defense, evaluate where we are next year and then we know what we have, what we need and how to approach it....with 7,8 starters needed on defense, we shouldn't be pursuing any FAs this year, specially in a year with 182M on the cap.......

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The reality is they can’t afford a big name. Even if Stephen wasn’t an alligator arm spender. Here’s the silver lining...FAs are dicey usually and the draft is deep in the areas Dallas needs to improve like DT, LB, S and CB. Really the formula is trading down to stockpile 3s and 4s. They will get a good DT, S and LB there.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They struggle with placing the right value on their own players, what makes you think they'd be better doing that with other players?

The formula has been in place and we're not used to this by now? They do just enough to give the illusion of really doing something. They're bottom feeders in FA and not really very good at drafting which is why they need to luck into a good season.

Think they're going to change? Why would they?

Trajan

Reaction score
Look, we basically have a better and cheaper version of the Triplets right now with Dak, Zeke and Amari, who cares if the defense is a bottom feeder ? I remember back in 92' we literally had zero talent on the defense, we were ranked like last in defense that year and we won the super bowl. All we need to do is score +40 pts a game, which is easy for our new triplets, so who cares if the defense is atrocious ?

I'm calling it now, 16-0, dominate in the playoffs, and win at least 3 super bowls this year alone !!!!! And then you all can thank Jerry and his genius son for all their amazing work !

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
You don't like yachts? I was just saying go aggressive week 1.
I don’t have any opinions about yachts. I was asking about details (I.e. who, price, terms, restructuring if needed) on FA that you would want and stating the current cap available . So far your referencing yachts.

basel90

Reaction score

The Overpaid overrated stars strategy continues . Good for the ticket box , bad on the field .

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
The reality is they can’t afford a big name. Even if Stephen wasn’t an alligator arm spender. Here’s the silver lining...FAs are dicey usually and the draft is deep in the areas Dallas needs to improve like DT, LB, S and CB. Really the formula is trading down to stockpile 3s and 4s. They will get a good DT, S and LB there.
Only the Chiefs and Bucs who had less cap space than us can afford anyone. The Vikings had far less cap space than Dallas and landed Tomlinson.

Creeper

Reaction score
I do appreciate them sending out their sycophants in the media to spin what they are doing. Jane Slater was in full blown cover mode today and more will come soon. I fully expect a couple of Mickey articles this week talking about how strong their FA strategy is.

Spagnola will single out one or two bad signings by the rest of the league and use them as an argument for why the Cowboys strategy is so much better. In the meantime, the premier NFL franchise is essentially buying an entirely new roster for their HOF head coach before he retires so he can win one more Super Bowl.