Lots of Chiefs fans in DFW now

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I will never stop following the Cowboys. It is impossible at this point. I no longer support them without logic and reason. I will hate on the players for sucking. I will hate on the management for sucking.

Do I feel like an idiot for sticking with them? I sure do. Do I think there is some sort of benefit to be gained from taking a moral high ground and sticking it out with your team? I sure don't.

This team has nothing in common with the team I connected with as a youth. If anything it has morphed into the exact opposite. Should I stick with them because they share the same name?

If I suggested to my son that he get into football and start following the Cowboys he would laugh at me. Why would he watch the NFL it is an antiquated joke and the Cowboys are the punch line. He would much rather watch Deestroying videos or something like that with real entertainment value.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Mahomes is a local kid and Texas Tech great.
He supports the Mavs heavily.
I bought my grandson a Mahomes jersey and he has almost the same haircut.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Not saying the Cowboys will be fan poor anytime soon, however Jerry/Stephen have started costing this team fans. The younger generation is not supporting the Cowboys, and they have significantly less support nationally as well. Locally KC has become trendy and Houston has the potential to swipe some Cowboy fans too.

Typically I would bash fans for not being loyal, but what has Jerry/Stephen done to deserve fan loyalty?
my nephew does not want to be a cowboys fan, everyone thinks they are losers, it's 10x as bad as it was when i was a kid 20 years ago and why would i even want him to be? Are we doing anything in the near future other than wasting our money on this team. At least for 16 games a season he can watch mahomes and watch someone who actually knows how to throw a football, coach that knows how to scheme and enjoy the game.

Who the hell wants to watch Dak prescott feast in garbage time - no one. Jones are losing fans, wont be immediately but you will see the affect in 10 years.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
my nephew does not want to be a cowboys fan, everyone thinks they are losers, it's 10x as bad as it was when i was a kid 20 years ago and why would i even want him to be? Are we doing anything in the near future other than wasting our money on this team. At least for 16 games a season he can watch mahomes and watch someone who actually knows how to throw a football, coach that knows how to scheme and enjoy the game.

Who the hell wants to watch Dak prescott feast in garbage time - no one. Jones are losing fans, wont be immediately but you will see the affect in 10 years.
They aren’t losing anything…you know how many young kids like Lamb and Micah?

Tussinman

Reaction score
You mean his parents live there?

Patrick lives in KC in the big new house they had built.
Patrick actually spends most of the off-season in his house that's 15 minutes from DFW airport. His house backs up to the Vaquero golf course which is a super exclusive club. Lots of good stories of Tiger Woods, Terry Bradshaw, and Drew Bledsoe at that club.
He’s rich enough to have more than one house. He does have a mansion here.
Correct. In the gated Vaquero golf club in Westlake. I've been told he spends a decent amount of time in the offseason at the club especially when the weathers nice (like right now to be exact lol)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Patrick actually spends most of the off-season in his house that's 15 minutes from DFW airport. His house backs up to the Vaquero golf course which is a super exclusive club. Lots of good stories of Tiger Woods, Terry Bradshaw, and Drew Bledsoe at that club.

Correct. In the gated Vaquero golf club in Westlake. I've been told he spends a decent amount of time in the offseason at the club especially when the weathers nice (like right now to be exact lol)
Yep....he usually trains here in the offseason. Dez has been out there with him a few times.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
They aren’t losing anything…you know how many young kids like Lamb and Micah?
Absolutely but do you know how many hate the likes of Skip Bayless? IMO a major issue with the Cowboys and a lack of a championship game appearance in the lifetime of a young football fan is it gives credibility to the likes of Stephen A Smith and other TV characters who have made millions of dollars bashing the Cowboys and labeling them as losers. To younger fans the narrative around a team is almost more important than what actually happens on the field.

I do think the Cowboys are losing a generation of Cowboys fans, however I also think that could change with just one legitimate post season run too.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Again...I'm not saying the Cowboys are hurting for fans, but McDonalds could close down 100 locations this year and still be the leader in fast food.

I'm also not educated enough on sports merch retailers, but is Lids really a telling resource for Jersey sales? I could be wrong and maybe they own several other name brands, but I don't think I would ever make my first stop a Lids store when buying a jersey.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/09/sport/nfl-best-selling-jerseys-popular-dg/index.html - I've found this link pretty interesting when looking at Jersey sales as they break down the top 10 sellers by week. Lamb and Parsons both seem to dominate, which seems odd to me that Lamb isn't even on the Lids list so IDK which would be more accurate in terms of overall popularity. Interesting to see the trends though. Stroud coming on strong, Dak really popping in November when he was playing out of his mind, Hurts selling insane numbers until the Eagles choke job started, Kelce receiving the Taylor Swift push, etc.
That CNN link does a nice job showing the week-by-week sales amount of jerseys last season, but it doesn't matter when in the end, the Yahoo link I previously provided shows the ultimate (overall).jersey sales totals.

chuck520

Reaction score
No it's absolutely true. As I said I'm not saying the Cowboys are struggling to find fans right now, but younger fans are not gravitating towards the Cowboys, especially at the national level and I'm not even sure how that is up for debate. Die hard fans from the 70's, 80's, 90's are starting to die off and the youth that are going to be the money spenders 5-10 years from now are going to other teams. Probably more of an issue Stephen has to worry about than Jerry for obvious reasons.
I said this 10 years ago on here and everyone thought I was wrong, this is before the Chiefs run but I said Stephen is going to have to rebuild the fan base because the younger fans are going for the champion teams and the older fans are discouraged.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
That CNN link does a nice job showing the week-by-week sales amount of jerseys last season, but it doesn't matter when in the end, the Yahoo link I previously provided shows the ultimate (overall).jersey sales totals.
That was where my question came in at though. The list you shared has been circulating for a while now and it's data comes from Lids. To me Lids isn't a top player in the jersey sales industry, but I could be wrong there, or they could own some of the other major retailers so that data is more encompassing than others, I truly dont know.

This one has a completely different top 10 and is from NFL Shop data, although it still has two Cowboys on the list.
  1. Jalen Hurts Eagles Jersey
  2. Micah Parsons Cowboys Jersey
  3. Ceedee Lamb Cowboys Jersey
  4. Patrick Mahomes Chiefs Jersey
  5. Jason Kelce Eagles Jersey
  6. Christian McCaffrey 49ers Jersey
  7. Brock Purdy 49ers Jersey
  8. Josh Allen Bills Jersey
  9. Travis Kelce Chiefs Jersey
  10. Joe Burrow Bengals Jersey

Also zero Cowboys on the top list of 2024 yet too....although I'm sure that one is massively influenced by the Super bowl teams.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I said this 10 years ago on here and everyone thought I was wrong, this is before the Chiefs run but I said Stephen is going to have to rebuild the fan base because the younger fans are going for the champion teams and the older fans are discouraged.
Yeah I think it's absolutely true. I grew up a Millennial in the prime of participation trophies. A lot of football fans my age love the fact the Cowboys are constantly in the running and are not happy, but OK with the playoff failures. I think Gen Z mostly rejects that thinking and are more so frontrunners. They grew up at the tail end of Brady chasing rings to solidify himself as the goat....they grew up in the tail end of Lebron vs Jordan debates which always centered around number of championships. To a lot of them 12 wins and an early playoff exit is a wasted year.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Yep....he usually trains here in the offseason. Dez has been out there with him a few times.
go back to being a kid...why would you die on the hill of the Dallas Cowboys in this social media bullying age... you are just setting yourself up for what? Financial ruin and sending your disposable income to the Jones for them to turn around and not care about the fanbase whatsoever.

At least the hunt family has the cajones to let go of a playoff type QB like Alex Smith - noteably someone who Dak models his game after and went and took a chance on Mahomes. Now look at them. What have we done in 24 years that remotely even says we are down to take a chance? Trade for Amari Cooper? Great risk, we gave him away for a 5th after paying him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Absolutely but do you know how many hate the likes of Skip Bayless? IMO a major issue with the Cowboys and a lack of a championship game appearance in the lifetime of a young football fan is it gives credibility to the likes of Stephen A Smith and other TV characters who have made millions of dollars bashing the Cowboys and labeling them as losers. To younger fans the narrative around a team is almost more important than what actually happens on the field.

I do think the Cowboys are losing a generation of Cowboys fans, however I also think that could change with just one legitimate post season run too.
Yeah but a big reason for Cowboys popularity is the fact so many people hate them. Most don’t even know why they hate them they just hate them. When people stop caring or stop hating them? I’ll agree. But as of now they are still polarizing.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Yeah but a big reason for Cowboys popularity is the fact so many people hate them. Most don’t even know why they hate them they just hate them. When people stop caring or stop hating them? I’ll agree. But as of now they are still polarizing.
Agree with that completely. Not sure if it’s a good or bad thing, just depends on what you’re measuring. No doubt the cowboys could be 3-14 and still dominate ratings though.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agree with that completely. Not sure if it’s a good or bad thing, just depends on what you’re measuring. No doubt the cowboys could be 3-14 and still dominate ratings though.
I think it builds into their popularity. I don’t think it’s good at all as far as our fandom goes but for money? I’m sure Jerry loves it.

chuck520

Reaction score
Yeah I think it's absolutely true. I grew up a Millennial in the prime of participation trophies. A lot of football fans my age love the fact the Cowboys are constantly in the running and are not happy, but OK with the playoff failures. I think Gen Z mostly rejects that thinking and are more so frontrunners. They grew up at the tail end of Brady chasing rings to solidify himself as the goat....they grew up in the tail end of Lebron vs Jordan debates which always centered around number of championships. To a lot of them 12 wins and an early playoff exit is a wasted year.
That is example of the many divisions in the fan base, generational, playoff success vs regular season success, fans of QB's

In the First take era(2011-?) the only thing that matters is championships, nothing before that show matters and its a 24/7 memory.

I remember the Danny White years the collapse then rebuild and the Super Bowl titles and now the 28 year drought, but the drought has had different eras not just one total era
If younger fans are getting into recently then they may know about the history and not care or not know about the history and only know what they have seen first hand

Thats another debate, if you are a fan of the team, do you consider the entire history of the team as your team or just the time you have watched. I think that is a new thing in this younger generation. When I became a fan I studied the history so I knew happened before.

chuck520

Reaction score
go back to being a kid...why would you die on the hill of the Dallas Cowboys in this social media bullying age... you are just setting yourself up for what? Financial ruin and sending your disposable income to the Jones for them to turn around and not care about the fanbase whatsoever.

At least the hunt family has the cajones to let go of a playoff type QB like Alex Smith - noteably someone who Dak models his game after and went and took a chance on Mahomes. Now look at them. What have we done in 24 years that remotely even says we are down to take a chance? Trade for Amari Cooper? Great risk, we gave him away for a 5th after paying him.
That is true but the Chiefs were not considered a strong franchise for many years, they went 50 years without winning a Super Bowl title, making a Super Bowl, and only 1 AFC Championship game in 50 years
I used to cheer for them when they had Marty as their coach and then they had some good years with Vermeil but they couldnt win a playoff game.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
If I was young kid now and wasn't living in Dallas there's no way I'd be a Cowboy fan. I'm just too old to change now.