Lots of speculation RG3 has a torn ACL

newlander

Reaction score
kingwhicker;4954344 said:
He's a China Doll. He'll come back, but he'll tear it up again. He's fragile. Three firsts & a second for a China Doll.

........but as I just said: drafting Cousins in 4th round might've REALLY saved their butts: not saying he's the next Brady but the kid is GOOD: hopefully not TOO good.

....someone in here said their grandpa was a long time coach and said that RG3 would never last: why not? He isn't a football player, he's a track guy playing football; LOOK at him for crying out loud.....same with Michael Vick: surprised he's lasted as long as he has honestly.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Risen Star;4954258 said:
Romo could suffer a small series of strokes and not put up 185 yards passing combined and a 50% completion percentage in two games.

:laugh2:

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
visionary;4954356 said:
at this point you cant even know for sure if Bob the third will ever get back on the field let alone say he has more upside than romo

My understanding of the application of upside must be different.

Evaluating upside requires a great deal of speculation and conjecture, like assuming RG3 will regain his mobility.

visionary

Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4954453 said:
My understanding of the application of upside must be different.

Evaluating upside requires a great deal of speculation and conjecture, like assuming RG3 will regain his mobility.

must be

upside still has to be what one can reasonably expect not just pie in the sky

otherwise there are several 5 year olds that have more upside than RG3 but that is a meaningless statement

to bring the discussion into realistic terms, knowing what you know right now (with the RG3 injury) would you trade romo for RG3?

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
visionary;4954624 said:
must be

upside still has to be what one can reasonably expect not just pie in the sky

otherwise there are several 5 year olds that have more upside than RG3 but that is a meaningless statement

to bring the discussion into realistic terms, knowing what you know right now (with the RG3 injury) would you trade romo for RG3?

it is reasonable to suspect that after 12 months, RG3 will be as fast as before.

1fisher

Reaction score
So.... according to an article I read, he tore the ACL which was a Patella graft from the injury in 2009. In the surgery performed today they used a Patella graft from his left knee. I just don't see him coming back in 8-10 months.

kmd24

Reaction score
Cowboys22;4954306 said:
One more thing, this new story that the ACL was intact but it was repaired anyway, is 100% total BS just like the cloudy MRI story. They have known since about 3 minutes after that knee buckled and he went into that little room that the ACL was gone. Its a simple test for stability and the doctor can tell almost 100% right then and there on the field. The MRI is done for confirmation and to determine the extent of the damage so they can plan the surgery. This latest bit on news is nothing more that a CYA for the doctor and the coach. They let the kid play with torn ligaments and he went out and fully ruptured his knee because it was unstable. I'm sorry, I don't buy any of it. If the ACL was intact and only partially torn then it was only a sprain and would not need total reconstruction. They simply cannot admit the truth because their judgement would be topic #1 and Goodall would probably have to step in and do something.

Partial ACL tears leave laxity and thus knee instability. If Griffin suffered a partial tear, then the drawer test would likely have shown some greater than normal movement but been inconclusive for a rupture.

Regardless, a severe grade 2 ACL sprain will often require replacement because it won't really heal itself, so the knee remains instable and is just a rupture waiting to happen. I don't really know what changes when the "ligament" is really a patellar tendon graft, but my guess is that it is even less likely to heal because tendons themselves heal slowly, let alone one grafted to serve as a ligament.

visionary

Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4954647 said:
it is reasonable to suspect that after 12 months, RG3 will be as fast as before.

this morning mike and mike had an orthopod on

here is what he said

"2/3 of NFL players DONT COME BACK after ACL surgery"

"to say that his knee will be as strong as before surgery is just incorrect"

not my opinion

you add in that speed and mobility were a big part of his game and you do the math

NIBGoldenchild

Reaction score
visionary;4954717 said:

here is what he said

not my opinion

I've heard close to four different opinions from doctors in that field today, and all four have had a different opinion on how long it would take for him to recover. I did listen to him on M&M, his opinion was the least positive, yet doesn't make it the most accurate.

visionary

Reaction score
NIBGoldenchild;4954731 said:
I've heard close to four different opinions from doctors in that field today, and all four have had a different opinion on how long it would take for him to recover. I did listen to him on M&M, his opinion was the least positive, yet doesn't make it the most accurate.

youre gripping bad buddy

real bad

i can tell

joseephuss

Reaction score
visionary;4954717 said:

here is what he said

not my opinion

you add in that speed and mobility were a big part of his game and you do the math

Is that 2/3 of players all time? At one time an ACL injury meant a player's career was over. I wonder what the number is over the past 10 years. Also, I would think that for some players it wasn't just having ACL surgery that prevented a player from coming back. There are some guys who get hurt who are fringe players anyway.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
I'll base my opinion on this

STATEMENT FROM JAMES R. ANDREWS, M.D., ANDREWS INSTITUTE
REGARDING PROCEDURE PERFORMED ON ROBERT GRIFFIN III

"Robert Griffin III had successful knee surgery early this morning. He had a direct repair of his LCL and a re-do of his previous ACL reconstruction. We expect a full recovery and it is everybody's hope and belief that due to Robert's high motivation, he will be ready for the 2013 season.

The goal of his treatment is to give him the best opportunity for a long professional career."

What happens going forward is anyone's guess. But I'll trust the opinion of the top orthopedic surgeon in America

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
visionary;4954717 said:

here is what he said

not my opinion

2/3 of players are bubble players. any setback dooms their nfl career because they are bubble players.

At no time in Tony Romo's career would another gm trade multiple first round picks for him, where RG3 was viewed to be worth such a trade. this is based on the perceived upside of either player.

1fisher

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;4954797 said:

What happens going forward is anyone's guess. But I'll trust the opinion of the top orthopedic surgeon in America

Two ACL replacements on the same knee with patella grafts = NOT GOOD!

I'm very skeptical.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
1fisher;4954816 said:
Two ACL replacements on the same knee with patella grafts = NOT GOOD!

I'm very skeptical.

Well when you are performing knee surgeries, I'll trust your opinion :)

kmd24

Reaction score
The common treatment for LCL rupture is to suture it back together. Given the description of the ACL by Griffin, Jr., and the reports of using a graft from the left patellar tendon, I think it's very likely that RG3 had Revision ACL Surgery on the ACL, i.e. replacement of a partially torn or ruptured graft with a new graft.

Comparisons to AD or Phillip Daniels are invalid. Neither Peterson nor Daniels had previously torn his ACL.

There are a lot of considerations with doing a second ACL replacement. For example, when a graft is done, there are tunnels drilled into the tibia and femur. Hardware (screws) is used to secure the graft. A revision surgery can vary widely depending on whether the original hardware is removed, whether a new tunnel has to be drilled (typically the case, but not always), and whether a bone graft is necessary to attach new hardware. It's pretty clear that Griffin didn't have a bone graft, but it is possible (especially given the increased length of the surgery) that a new tunnel was drilled.

The biggest concern for Griffin isn't whether he is ready for the opener, it's that that the graft is successful. He's got the most skilled doctor, he's young, and he's athletic. All that plays in his favor. However, it's worth noting that, while 90% of ACL grafts are successful, the rate drops to about 75% with revision surgery (This is for the entire population of orthopedists; Andrews' rate is likely to be higher but I don't know either way).

He really doesn't want to injure that ACL again, especially if he had to have a second tunnel drilled. While there are athletes that have returned from 3 tears in the same knee, the rate is low, and eventually you just can't drill tunnels in the bones anymore. It will all depend on the details of the surgery and his healing process, which was very good for the first injury, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they play it safe with him next fall and do everything they can not to rush him back.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
kmd24;4954830 said:
He really doesn't want to injure that knee again, especially if he had to have a second tunnel drilled. While there are athletes that have returned from 3 tears in the same knee, the rate is low, and eventually you just can't drill tunnels in the bones anymore. It will all depend on the details of the surgery and his healing process, which was very good for the first injury, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they play it safe with him next fall and do everything they can not to rush him back.

Agree with this. I hope the Commanders take the same cautious approach the Nationals did with Stephen Strasburg.

I.E as a fan I am more then willing to see RG3 sit out all of 2013 to make sure its "right" He would still be only 24 years old when he returns in 2014

1fisher

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;4954829 said:
Well when you are performing knee surgeries, I'll trust your opinion :)

I've had the patella graft...thank you! I know from experience. :p:

joseephuss

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;4954797 said:

The same surgeon who said RGIII was okay to go back in the game. :D

I think he will be fine once he is fully rehabbed. I just don't think they should rush the rehab. If it takes 10 months, then use the entire 10 months. No need to rush things.