Lower Tier Extensions

Mr_437

Reaction score
Everybody is talking about Dak, Zeke, Amari, Byron and Jaylon...but what about some other guys who play key roles. These players may not be rated as high as the aforementioned, but their in a contract year too. Should Stephen give these guys an extension to keep solid depth, and secure some glue guys?

Under the radar extension:

1) CB Anthony Brown - virtually a starter since he was drafted and thriving through a DB coach change. Slot CB is a starter for DAL defense and with 4.33 speed and a ton of experience yielding good results, Cowboys should look to extend AB this summer. Why? Little depth after 2019.

2) 3 Tech Maliek Collins - virtual starter upon arrival. Liek has played thru injury most of his time in Dallas, and that has effected his production... possibly lowering his price tag. Even with the drafting of Trysten Hill, extending Collins this summer guarantees a, lunch snatching, 1-2 punch at 3 tech for this DL rotation. Why? Little depth after 2019.

3) FS Jeff Heath - I know, I know...but did you see him chase down Saquan? One thing that's tough to argue against is Heath playing Centerfielder on passing downs. As a special teams captain type dude, and backup "FS" with lotsa experience sign him up. Why? Little depth at Safety after 2019.

4) LB Joe Thomas - Joe is a fast LB with good coverage skill, great for backing up THE DUO in the nickel. Why? Lack of veteran depth after 2019.

5) SS Kavon Frazier - Tough, violent, fast box Saftey and special teams ace. Football is a violent game, hoard violent players...the end. Why? Special teams ace.

6) LB Justin March-Lillard - difficult for this young backer to get on the field, but DAL needs depth at LB. Lock this dude up for a couple more years...5'11 228 4.53 speed and knows all the LB positions on the defense. Why? Depth!

As you can see I've gone all defense with this group partly cause I'm a defense guy, but also cause there just isn't anybody on offense I'd bang the keyboard to get extended amongst lower tier players.

Honorable Mention:

LG Xavier Sua-Filo - the OL is stacked so the FO can wait or replace.

TE Blake Jarwin - RFA for 2020, so a 2nd round tender should get him secured, but I would look to see what type of numbers his agent is thinking about... especially after the production he put up the last part of the season.

Personally, I'd extend 4 of the 6, what say you?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Jerry is sit
Everybody is talking about Dak, Zeke, Amari, Byron and Jaylon...but what about some other guys who play key roles. These players may not be rated as high as the aforementioned, but their in a contract year too. Should Stephen give these guys an extension to keep solid depth, and secure some glue guys?

Under the radar extension:

1) CB Anthony Brown - virtually a starter since he was drafted and thriving through a DB coach change. Slot CB is a starter for DAL defense and with 4.33 speed and a ton of experience yielding good results, Cowboys should look to extend AB this summer. Why? Little depth after 2019.

2) 3 Tech Maliek Collins - virtual starter upon arrival. Liek has played thru injury most of his time in Dallas, and that has effected his production... possibly lowering his price tag. Even with the drafting of Trysten Hill, extending Collins this summer guarantees a, lunch snatching, 1-2 punch at 3 tech for this DL rotation. Why? Little depth after 2019.

3) FS Jeff Heath - I know, I know...but did you see him chase down Saquan? One thing that's tough to argue against is Heath playing Centerfielder on passing downs. As a special teams captain type dude, and backup "FS" with lotsa experience sign him up. Why? Little depth at Safety after 2019.

4) LB Joe Thomas - Joe is a fast LB with good coverage skill, great for backing up THE DUO in the nickel. Why? Lack of veteran depth after 2019.

5) SS Kavon Frazier - Tough, violent, fast box Saftey and special teams ace. Football is a violent game, hoard violent players...the end. Why? Special teams ace.

6) LB Justin March-Lillard - difficult for this young backer to get on the field, but DAL needs depth at LB. Lock this dude up for a couple more years...5'11 228 4.53 speed and knows all the LB positions on the defense. Why? Depth!

As you can see I've gone all defense with this group partly cause I'm a defense guy, but also cause there just isn't anybody on offense I'd bang the keyboard to get extended amongst lower tier players.

Honorable Mention:

LG Xavier Sua-Filo - the OL is stacked so the FO can wait or replace.

TE Blake Jarwin - RFA for 2020, so a 2nd round tender should get him secured, but I would look to see what type of numbers his agent is thinking about... especially after the production he put up the last part of the season.

Jerry is sweating the dollars to pay Amari and Dak "Mr. Big Monies" Prescott.
I see only two of these scrubs worth keeping at 1-year $800k.
And, are you nuts, Yankee oaf? Jarwin on the bubble?????
Go to your room!

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I kinda like the potential of Frazier, but the rest of that depth is interchangeable with bargain bin players, imo. Heath has a job here until he wants to retire, regardless of how anyone feels about him.

DanA

Reaction score
I’d like to keep Jarwin, Heath and Brown but I’m happy for it to be a off-season decision once there contract expires, and then only if the price is right.

To me the rest are very expendable. M.Collins I like but injuries and other option (Woods, Covington, Hill) mean he’s not a priority.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Good list. My takes on it.

I think we will be forced to let Brown go for finances. The league is hurting for good CBs and I think he will fetch more on the open market than we can afford.

Maliek Collins will be interesting to see. He has not been terribly effective to date (although he was really rounding into shape by the end of last season), and is an injury prone, scheme specific player. I think we will be able to retain him at a pretty cheap price if we want to, but it will depend on how we feel about Trystan Hill going in to next season. If Collins has a big season, it could also put him out of our price range.

Heath... mehhhh. I would hope to see us move on from him, but he is in that Crawford mold where his versatility and durability just keep the Cowboys bringing him back to plug holes season after season. I bet he'll sign another cheap deal and end up being the starter again in 2020. Hell, he's been starting since 2013 despite never really being good in any of those years. I'm not going to bet against him now.

Thomas - we'll see. He's great depth to have, but I'm not going to lose sleep over a #4 LB either.

JML - same deal.

Frazier is a good special teamer and apparently really liked by the coaches and teammates. We like having him, and I don't think he is valued as anything more than another gunner by the rest of the league, so an extension would work out well for both him and the team.

XSF - McGovern will take his job.

Jarwin, we will have to wait and see. He was coming on strong at the end of last season, but it's hard to say if like 3 good games was a sign of him turning the corner, or just a fluke from a young player with a really small sample size.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Good list. My takes on it.

I think we will be forced to let Brown go for finances. The league is hurting for good CBs and I think he will fetch more on the open market than we can afford.

Maliek Collins will be interesting to see. He has not been terribly effective to date (although he was really rounding into shape by the end of last season), and is an injury prone, scheme specific player. I think we will be able to retain him at a pretty cheap price if we want to, but it will depend on how we feel about Trystan Hill going in to next season. If Collins has a big season, it could also put him out of our price range.

Heath... mehhhh. I would hope to see us move on from him, but he is in that Crawford mold where his versatility and durability just keep the Cowboys bringing him back to plug holes season after season. I bet he'll sign another cheap deal and end up being the starter again in 2020. Hell, he's been starting since 2013 despite never really being good in any of those years. I'm not going to bet against him now.

Thomas - we'll see. He's great depth to have, but I'm not going to lose sleep over a #4 LB either.

JML - same deal.

Frazier is a good special teamer and apparently really liked by the coaches and teammates. We like having him, and I don't think he is valued as anything more than another gunner by the rest of the league, so an extension would work out well for both him and the team.

XSF - McGovern will take his job.

Jarwin, we will have to wait and see. He was coming on strong at the end of last season, but it's hard to say if like 3 good games was a sign of him turning the corner, or just a fluke from a young player with a really small sample size.
Good analysis.
Y
eah... I think Brown will bet on himself in FA oppose to signing a deal early, and some team will pay him more.

Like I feel DAL has a chance to keep him either way, but just would like him signed before he goes for 7 sacks and is gone. Woods n Hill are the only DTs signed up after the season.

Haha, Heath is the Tyrone Crawford of the Safeties. I just feel if X is the starting FS, Heath can back him up better than a rookie.

McClay spoke highly of Frazier so we'll see, but Kavon has some value.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Maliek and Brown are probably gone. Brown will get a contract somewhere. Byron is also a UFA after this season and chido is after that. Those are the two they try to keep IMO. It’s why they drafted a CB this year imo. Sua’Filo May stay on a cheap deal.

Heath can stay for vet minimum. Or close to it.

Kavon can stay if he is willing to come dirt cheap otherwise he is a dime a dozen player to replace.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Good list, good thread but that said, Anthony Brown is the only guy I would extend. Maliek Collins has had a lot of injuries and should be forced to prove it this year to get a good contract - plus Trysten Hill will likely make him a backup next year (maybe sooner). When Marinelli makes starters out of free pickups like Terrell McClain and David Irving, you don't have to overpay guys like Collins.

I'm not down on Heath but he is a backup getting starter reps and you don't need to pay for that. I like Frazier but he isn't going to start and Donovan Wilson may very well replace him this year. I like Thomas and March-Lillard but there are plenty of those types available every year who are younger and cheaper.

You don't have to pinch pennies, but at the same time you don't need to overpay backups unless its a critical position like Swing Tackle.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Maliek is an interesting one. For the reasons you mentioned, he has upside from his current production. They should make him an offer. That's a move toward moving on from Crawford, for significantly reduced cost.

I'm a fan of signing second tier guys before their contract year. See if you can get a cheap deal.
If so, you give him extra snaps for further development.
If not, you know you want development snaps to go to other players.

Eanwen

Reaction score
I don't think any of those guys are good enough that we couldn't replace them with cheaper vets, then go out and draft someone. If Moore/Kitna are everything we want them to be then the Cowboys can focus on defense in two of the first three rounds next year (I'm thinking s, DT if Hill doesn't work out, CB if he does, and TE).

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just because the media doesn’t cover the contract situations of guys like this the same as they do with Dak, Zeke, Cooper etc doesn’t mean extensions aren’t being looked at with several of these guys.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Maliek and Brown are probably gone. Brown will get a contract somewhere. Byron is also a UFA after this season and chido is after that. Those are the two they try to keep IMO. It’s why they drafted a CB this year imo. Sua’Filo May stay on a cheap deal.

Heath can stay for vet minimum. Or close to it.

Kavon can stay if he is willing to come dirt cheap otherwise he is a dime a dozen player to replace.

There’s also some great value in the cornerback market next year:

Logan Ryan, TEN
Jimmy Smith, BAL
Bradley Roby, HOU
Joe Haden, PIT
Ronald Darby, PHI (If he bounces back from injury PHI will never be able to afford him)
Brandon Carr, BAL (impressive career resurrection)
Tramon Williams, GB
Jonathan Joseph, HOU
Darqueze Denard, CIN
Trae Waynes, MIN
Eric Rowe, MIA
Jason Verrett, SF
Daryl Worley, OAK
Brian Poole, NYJ

Dallas hasn’t had great luck spending early picks on corners since Terrence Newman (I don’t know if you count Byron jones or not). It is very possible both your starting CBs in 2020 are on that list.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
There’s also some great value in the cornerback market next year:

Logan Ryan, TEN
Jimmy Smith, BAL
Bradley Roby, HOU
Joe Haden, PIT
Ronald Darby, PHI (If he bounces back from injury PHI will never be able to afford him)
Brandon Carr, BAL (impressive career resurrection)
Tramon Williams, GB
Jonathan Joseph, HOU
Darqueze Denard, CIN
Trae Waynes, MIN
Eric Rowe, MIA
Jason Verrett, SF
Daryl Worley, OAK
Brian Poole, NYJ

Dallas hasn’t had great luck spending early picks on corners since Terrence Newman (I don’t know if you count Byron jones or not). It is very possible both your starting CBs in 2020 are on that list.
Yeah given the way Dallas does business anymore it is doubtful they sign any of those players. There’s zero chance both starting corners are on that list.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Sure. As soon as dak Marries a woman who makes
More than Tom Brady in her career we can get to the patriot way of spending.
More like Dak needs to start a business that the Jones' can hire out so they can funnel him money to circumvent the cap.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe 1 or 2 of those guys stay because:

1. Several will get FA offers that are too big for us to match (Like Anthony Brown) We have finally gotten wiser about NOT overpaying for middle level talent.

2. Younger, cheaper talent from the draft who are on first contracts makes more financial sense. Most of the consistently good teams (like NE) keep a mix of a small number of guys with big contracts and a large portion of young guys with rookie deals.

3. Most fans (us Cowboys fans included) overvalue “pet cat” players from their favorite teams. We fans often lack the cold hard talent evaluation that NFL teams must have to manage the cap well.

The list of lower tier guys in the OP will stay here only if the stars of this team get slightly better “team friendly” deals with their next contracts than we would expect. I doubt that happens.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Maliek is an interesting one. For the reasons you mentioned, he has upside from his current production. They should make him an offer. That's a move toward moving on from Crawford, for significantly reduced cost.

I'm a fan of signing second tier guys before their contract year. See if you can get a cheap deal.
If so, you give him extra snaps for further development.
If not, you know you want development snaps to go to other players.
Right on Maybe Maliek bites on security for a cheaper price, and there's still upside with him.
Correct, these signings would save money.

Jeff Heath extension? Only as a backup.
Yes, strictly a backup to me.

Yeah given the way Dallas does business anymore it is doubtful they sign any of those players. There’s zero chance both starting corners are on that list.
Bingo. Stephen isn't spending money during FA, and I think they'll start going cheap at CB. This is why you attempt to sign a good slot CB before the market get crazy for him.

Good list Aerolith_eagles fan.

First off, I'd keep Anthony Brown; Maliek Collins; and Kavon Frazier.
My man... liking how ya thinking.