Luck Staying in School

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I think Newton is going to go #1 now. But having the top QB off the board pretty much seals the deal. Cant see how PP dodges all the land mines now

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3786504 said:
I think Newton is going to go #1 now. But having the top QB off the board pretty much seals the deal. Cant see how PP dodges all the land mines now

For us to get PP now, we'd have to trade up. UGH

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Hmmmm.

I don't think Newton goes No. 1 overall, but this certainly does improve his stock along with Mallett and maybe even Gabbert.

Gabbert is a wild card to me, for some reason he's shooting up mock draft boards (remains to be seen if actual NFL teams are as high on him). He had a very strong '09 season, but followed it up with a somewhat mediocre '10.

For our purposes, I hope Gabbert lights it up during workouts and the combine. My gut tells me though that he doesn't go anywhere near as high as some are reporting him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
odd but now that I think of it maybe not 100% surprising. Stanford is an elite institution. On par with Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. Guys who get in there are very academically focused. Finishing school is likely a big priority for Luck.

The Realist

Reaction score
AbeBeta;3786553 said:
odd but now that I think of it maybe not 100% surprising. Stanford is an elite institution. On par with Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. Guys who get in there are very academically focused. Finishing school is likely a big priority for Luck.

Or he wants a shot a National Title and wants nothing to do with Carolina.

alohawg

Reaction score
Mallett needs to spend time with Manning learning how to move his feet, then he needs time with Brady learning how to be calm under pressure, then he needs........ah' never mind, he needs to stay in school too.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
JMO, Carolina won't draft a QB. Not a fan of Clausen's play this past season, or even as a prospect last year, but Luck was a special prospect that only comes along every so many years. PManning was the last such prospect and before him probably Aikman.

Luck would've been a clear day 1 upgrade over Clausen, and had more upside. I don't think this is the case with Gabbert, Mallet or Newton

TheRat

The Silly Willy
Reaction score
The Realist;3786623 said:
Or he wants a shot a National Title and wants nothing to do with Carolina.
Getting a Stanford degree is worth staying in school. But staying in school to try to win a football game - a significant game but a football game nonetheless - is dumb. He would make tens of millions of dollars. I hope he is staying in school because he wants to get his degree.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Can't fault him for getting a degree, but that's a lot of money on the table that could go out the window with an injury, rookie pay scale, etc. I wouldn't have that resolve myself.

This definitely shakes up the top ten which doesn't help us.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
It's not like his family is hurting for money and like mentioned above he's very smart so I'd say good move for him and one you do not see from a communications major at _____ state put your local school in the blank.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Im hearing that the rookie scale will go into affect this season. So the money will be the same.

Carolina is a crappy team but what do you expect from the team picking #1? It wont get too much better the next year.

DFWJC

Reaction score
AbeBeta;3786553 said:
No dount.
He's been saying so all along but no one seems to want to listen.

DFWJC

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3786694 said:
Im hearing that the rookie scale will go into affect this season. So the money will be the same.

Carolina is a crappy team but what do you expect from the team picking #1? It wont get too much better the next year.
They're not all THAT crappy. They had a lot go wrong this year--especially at QB and some defense injuries. But they are not your classic bottom of the barrel team picking #1.

dogberry

Reaction score
How many Harvard grads can Luck hire on $12 million a year? There's probably a girl his is interested in.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Andrew Luck to stay in Stanford

1/6/2011 2:32:23 PM

Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck has decided to stay in college to get his degree instead of immediately cashing in on the riches of being the likely No. 1 pick in the NFL draft according to the Associated Press.

Luck announced his decision Thursday, more than a week before the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NFL draft. Luck, who sat out his first year as a redshirt, has two years of eligibility remaining but is on track to graduate next spring.

''I am committed to earning my degree in architectural design from Stanford University and am on track to accomplish this at the completion of the spring quarter of 2012,'' Luck said in a statement issued through the school.

Reaction score
Hostile;3786832 said:

Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck has decided to stay in college to get his degree instead of immediately cashing in on the riches of being the likely No. 1 pick in the NFL draft according to the Associated Press.

Luck announced his decision Thursday, more than a week before the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NFL draft. Luck, who sat out his first year as a redshirt, has two years of eligibility remaining but is on track to graduate next spring.

''I am committed to earning my degree in architectural design from Stanford University and am on track to accomplish this at the completion of the spring quarter of 2012,'' Luck said in a statement issued through the school.

Wow, that's crazy!!!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;3786832 said:

Yeah doesnt help us, but good for him. He has something he believes in deeply and probably thinks Stanford has a legit shot at a national title.

I'm guessing people will roll out the "its stupid to turn down all that money!!" argument, but the fact is his family is probably doing quite well, and if he's as good as most believe he is he'll make his money.

People commended Payton Manning for staying in school, shouldnt be any different for Luck.