Luck Staying in School

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
AbeBeta;3787562 said:
A Stanford degree is not just any degree. That isn't something you can buy with money. It is one of the most prestigious schools in the nation
I know at most universities, architectural school is a full time job on its own, so I'd imagine it's doubly tough at Stanford.

But if Emmitt Smith can go back and finish his degree, Luck can do it in his sleep. Steve Young finished his law degree while winning a SB, so I think there's more at work here than just wanting to finish school.

It may be he loves college life so much he doesn't want to give it up yet. Can't blame him. Or perhaps he wants to be an architect more than a QB. Maybe he hates Carolina. He probably figures that with a rookie pay scale he isn't risking that much anyway.

Regardless, this isn't good news for our draft spots. Dreams of Dareus, Peterson, and Fairley may be just that.

hsfolk

Reaction score
Nobody is going to want to trade up with Carolina now. Luck was the only person that really deserved to be picked #1, now that he's out they'll have to reach for someone like Fairley, Green, or Bowers. IMO, I'd pick Green just because Steve Smith might not have much longer and you take an elite WR if you are missing one

TonyRomo09

Reaction score
correct me if i am wrong, but isn't it entirely possible that there could be a rookie wage scale in next years draft... how stupid will luck feel if he passes up a $80m pay day?? and gets nowhere near next year? in my opinion he can always go back and get his degree... but if you are all but guaranteed the number 1 pick... shouldn't you go for it? there is no guarantee the number 1 spot will still be there next year for him... and no guarantee it will come with all that money..

am i missing something here?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Dumbest smart kid ever

On the flip side though, his family is absolutely loaded already and this gives him another two semesters of being king of the school and getting busy with every coed he can find

TonyRomo09

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3787926 said:
Dumbest smart kid ever

On the flip side though, his family is absolutely loaded already and this gives him another two semesters of being king of the school and getting busy with every coed he can find

Hmmm you do make a good point there... lol

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Those like a few in this thread who chase the material objects of this world will say that he is an idiot.

I on the other hand feel that the kid is getting the best degree that he can and the millions will follow. I comend him for doing so.

Not everyone reaches for the millions. Not every road is paved in gold.

Good choice Mr. Luck

Patton

Benched
Reaction score
Serves the Panthers right. I think at a certain point they were tanking.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
I don't think he is dumb. He has legit reasons and his family does not need the money. He will take out an insurance policy in case he gets hurt.

In money terms he missed the real big boat last year as from now on there will be a rookie cap.

He could drop in next years draft but there is no doubt he will be drafted next year.

Hell, enjoy life and have fun. college is the real last chance to do that.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
this guy thinks you should stay in school as well

matt+leinart.jpg

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Double Trouble;3787687 said:
I know at most universities, architectural school is a full time job on its own, so I'd imagine it's doubly tough at Stanford.

But if Emmitt Smith can go back and finish his degree, Luck can do it in his sleep. Steve Young finished his law degree while winning a SB, so I think there's more at work here than just wanting to finish school.

It may be he loves college life so much he doesn't want to give it up yet. Can't blame him. Or perhaps he wants to be an architect more than a QB. Maybe he hates Carolina. He probably figures that with a rookie pay scale he isn't risking that much anyway.

Regardless, this isn't good news for our draft spots. Dreams of Dareus, Peterson, and Fairley may be just that.

you can complete classes at U of F in public recreation doing work over the off season, etc. You likely can't do that in a serious program at a school where most everyone is on a strict 4 year plan. You get tons of people completing part time degrees at Florida. It just is not part of the culture at Stanford.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3787597 said:
Many people would not be able to complete the program if they were to leave it for a significant period of time.

Exactly. Also, it isn't a huge school with millions of course offerings. Stanford has only about 7000 undergraduates. Many courses for his degree may not even be offered when he would be free of NFL commitments.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Bowers going to Carolina?

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
TheRat;3786650 said:
Getting a Stanford degree is worth staying in school.

Stanford will always be there. Tens of millions of guaranteed dollars, however, might not be if something happens to him.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Money is not everything for sure but when you will be the first pick in the draft I would say you have to come out. On the other hand if he himself and his coach tell him that his NFL career will be more successful with another year of college ball under his belt then I understand but.....

The degree thing I don't really get. By the time he would be using that degree he will have forgotten half or more of what he learned. He would be better off going back after football and finishing the degree then if he wants to do that after football IMO.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I guess some people just cannot take the money out of any equation.

The Realist

Reaction score
AbeBeta;3788199 said:
Exactly. Also, it isn't a huge school with millions of course offerings. Stanford has only about 7000 undergraduates. Many courses for his degree may not even be offered when he would be free of NFL commitments.

You don't have to take the classes at Stanford to complete the degree. I know plenty of people who have been 1-3 classes away and completed them at campus B, but still got the degree from campus A.

And Stanford is far, far more flexible than you make it sound. They are at the forefront of online and distance learning programs. A lot of part-time/online Master's Degrees offered in the hard sciences and other areas. They even have a 4 year HS program online for gifted students.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
lol, I just realized how suicidal Panther fans must feel right now. Imagine it, you see a chance to take a franchise QB vanish into thin air after having an awful, awful season.