Luck Staying in School

DFWJC

Reaction score
braw;3789276 said:
why people fail to notice that Luck is not ready for the NFL yet. No great or good QB playing now went and played only 2 years and became what they were. only Aaron from greenbay played 2 yrs but sat for 3 yrs in the pros.

The money, the degree, the 1st player drafted will still come when he is ready.

Manning, Brady, Bress, Big Ben, Rivers all went 3 or 4 years to school. Its a maturation process he needs to go through. Thats why he is at Stanford and his coach says he is an intelligent player because he doesnt rush to make poor decisions based on money, draft status, or his degree.

Playing one more year will be a great decision for learning and polishing of his skills; especially when the pressure will be on and expectations will be high. Great move by the young man
Lot of truth here...and overall

He is running a risk, but it's his life.

There are a lot of assumptions being made, and many are false.

Even regarding NFL career earnings, there can be a debate that he will not lose anything over the duration of his career.

There are so many variables:

--is he ready now? If not will coming out 1 year early and being pressed into service actually hurt his career?

--will they even play football next year in the NFL?

--does he want to play at Carolina?

--how important is a Stanford degree to him..and his family?

--he he was going to ride the bench, would he develope more starting at Standofrd or bench-riding at Carolina?

--will the 2012 1st round picks have a shorter window before they becoming URFA? If so, he may come out ahead financially by waiting.

--will the 1st pick in the 2012 draft make much more than in 2011.

--how important is money to this guy? My guess is not as much as some on this board.

etc, etc....

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The Realist;3789135 said:
I think he did the right thing by staying.

How do we know he has a full load of classes to take.

A semester could be 1-5 classes.

I actually meant a year -- he likely has a full load though as he's only been at Stanford for 3 years and probably had to take a slightly reduced course load each Fall due to football.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;3789157 said:
In the supplemental draft, they divide the teams into tiers and draw a lottery . We fall into the first group with 6 or less wins so we only get 24 tickets entered in the lottery while Carolina gets 32. Our 1st rounder could actually hold the most weight when all is said and done.

When did this change?

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
dbair1967;3789521 said:
When did this change?

1986. In 85, the Browns had traded for rights to the 1st pick in the supplemental draft and had actually convinced Bernie Kosar to enter the supplemental instead which made alot of other teams angry. Since then, they group teams into tiers, put their names on tickets (this year it would be Carolina with 32, Denver with 31, Buffalo with 30, etc.) and then draw them right before the draft so no one knows the exact order beforehand. Most likely, the teams most in need of a QB will have taken Mallett, Newton, Locker and Gabbert anyway, so I don't think he'd be going to one of them unless they planned on trading his rights.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
DFWJC;3789296 said:
You are projecting your values and standards onto him. It's not at all so straight forward Thump.

If it were me, I too may go with most of what you are saying--IF it was for me. But it's not, so that pretty much ends it.

Not to mention when you're a former athlete doors will open for you that would not normally be opened.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
realtick;3789720 said:
Not to mention when you're a former athlete doors will open for you that would not normally be opened.

Right, but those doors would open because he played in the NFL, not because he got his degree from Stanford.