LVE and Jaylon Smith 2019 vs 2018

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
DT's are chumps. Nothing to do with confidence. The RAMS showed the rest of the NFL the weakness of the Cowboys. OUr DT's. And a guy like Jalyon can get washed out easy on blocks.
Jaylon is physical half the time and LVE is just lost out there it seems. I think the whole defensive scheme needs to be rethought. Upfront we are not very physical. The new guy at safety was the hardest hitter out there today. Heath can lay the wood also but he's so wild he's just as likely to hurt his own team mate then he is the opponent. I think we just need a big body at the DT point of attack. We need our linebackers to be more physical, And I just don't understand why the defense isn't better going up against our offense every practice. Rod M needs to go. I'd take Wade as a DC over Rod anyday.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They started out this way last year as well, then got it together as the season went on. Hopefully that happens next week against the Saints, or it may be a long night. Even with Bridgewater at QB. The key is stopping Kamara or at least hold him in check.

JBond

Reaction score
Can't quite put my fingers on it but something is missing with both the guys. Last year they both were dominant in making plays over the field. This year, it's almost as if they are not reacting to as fast or decisively. Maybe I'm overreacting but if I didn't know better I would think they both lost a ton confidence from the Rams playoff loss and still recovering. Again maybe it's just me.......
Nothing to do with the Rams game. Rust and new responsibilities are part of it. Hope we do not neuter their instincts.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Can't quite put my fingers on it but something is missing with both the guys. Last year they both were dominant in making plays over the field. This year, it's almost as if they are not reacting to as fast or decisively. Maybe I'm overreacting but if I didn't know better I would think they both lost a ton confidence from the Rams playoff loss and still recovering. Again maybe it's just me.......

The defensive play calling has been extremely vanilla. 4 man rushing. Little to no blitz. Lots of nickle. Safeties playing up high. Typical bend don’t break defense. They are not attacking at all. Really a disgrace given the talent level and the big leads they have had. I was a Marinelli supporter. No more. Guy is awful.

kumizi

Reaction score
LVE hasn’t played well overall IMO.

Jaylon has been outright bad; he has always struggled with breaking down and taking ball carriers straights, but now he’s doing this weird thing where leaves his feet and reaches for them as they run by. I’m not sure if he was responsible for causing that fumble in the red zone but he’s lucky because he was absolutely shook.

Pay attention to Jaylon when he’s being blocked, he gets washed way too easy.
I agree.

I was more worried about the Lael extension than the Jaylon one. Right now, it's looking like the opposite.

cern

Reaction score
the defense as a whole has changed due to the scoring machine that the offense has become. keeping receivers in front. why not? it's working. I expect the schemes will change depending on the opposition.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jaylon is physical half the time and LVE is just lost out there it seems. I think the whole defensive scheme needs to be rethought. Upfront we are not very physical. The new guy at safety was the hardest hitter out there today. Heath can lay the wood also but he's so wild he's just as likely to hurt his own team mate then he is the opponent. I think we just need a big body at the DT point of attack. We need our linebackers to be more physical, And I just don't understand why the defense isn't better going up against our offense every practice. Rod M needs to go. I'd take Wade as a DC over Rod anyday.

When your DT's suck its hard to be a dominant defense. And when your safeties suck its hard to make plays back there. And we already know that Jones couldn't make a pick if his life depended on it. We are devoid of play makers and our pass rush is average at best.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I agree, they look awful so far. Jaylon really seems like a half second slow.

Hard to imagine after what they did last season.

Not slow at all. See him fly to the pylon last week to keep AP out of the end zone. Not slow at all. Marinelli has them on their heels. No attacking.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I fid it Ironic Tank and Jaylon got big deals but neither is living up to them.. all we see on here is Zeke getting ripped because he not a 90mil back and all the comps and stats and constant ripping..

Zeke hasn't changed, best start to his 3 year career stat wise, hes a constant in the offense that can be counted on.. so he got paid and 90 mil isnt guaranteed 24 mil is if hes here march 2020 the 50 mil is guaranteed..

why is it so hard for fans to swallow, Zeke got paid, running up to his normal standards and will get better as he usually does with each game deeper into the season..

everyone wanted to say he can not hit homeruns etc well that snot his game, not enough tds really he had the same amount 28 before this season in 3 seasons as Melivin Gordon did in 4 seasons..i heard Kamara got his first rushing TD in 5 games today. was in drought..

Zeke is Zeke and he matters in this offense, he effects the d every snap..yet he simply is a constant can be counted on..

Yet the 2 players on defense arent doing anything..YET..

so I think let the season lay out before judgment but the D on a whole are way OFF..they arent doing anything right, dont say holding down points because the other teams simply shoot themselves in te foot a lot..

maybe by game 8 the entire team is in sync..we better be these next 4 weeks will tell us a lot..

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I agree.

I was more worried about the Lael extension than the Jaylon one. Right now, it's looking like the opposite.

Did anyone see Smith fly to the pylon last week to prevent a TD? Anyone? Double digit tackles last 2 weeks. Nice strip today. Smith is more than fine. It’s the play calling and scheme that stink. Passive defense. Reactive.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jaylon is over-running plays again and LVE is a bit hesitant.
And the DL aren't doing them many favors.

I'd expect the injuries and recoveries on the dline are limiting the LBs. I also wonder how much the league has learned about shutting down Jaylon and LVE from the Colts and Rams games.

I don't have the games on tape, but Jaylon looks labored as he runs.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't see a problem.

The Cowboys are going some things differently this year which I think is due to how the Rams schemed against the Cowboys tendencies.

The Rams schemed to box out the Cowboys LBs. One of the things the Rams schemed to take advantage of was the aggressiveness of the Cowboys LBs.

If a LB always reacts instantly to move up or move to the outside, then offenses can scheme against that tendency.

kumizi

Reaction score
Did anyone see Smith fly to the pylon last week to prevent a TD? Anyone? Double digit tackles last 2 weeks. Nice strip today. Smith is more than fine. It’s the play calling and scheme that stink. Passive defense. Reactive.
Number of tackles is like RBI in baseball. It’s primarily a function of the position you play. It’s onoy three games but he looks slow to react.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I don't see a problem.

The Cowboys are going some things differently this year which I think is due to how the Rams schemed against the Cowboys tendencies.

The Rams schemed to box out the Cowboys LBs. One of the things the Rams schemed to take advantage of was the aggressiveness of the Cowboys LBs.

If a LB always reacts instantly to move up or move to the outside, then offenses can scheme against that tendency.

LOL ......well is a coincidence they don't appear to be as aggressive from last year vs this year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yeah it’s not near as good. None of them. And Lee is on the field... How many times have you heard his name.... I don’t know but they aren’t filling the gaps as well..