LVE and Jaylon Smith 2019 vs 2018

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Can't quite put my fingers on it but something is missing with both the guys. Last year they both were dominant in making plays over the field. This year, it's almost as if they are not reacting to as fast or decisively. Maybe I'm overreacting but if I didn't know better I would think they both lost a ton confidence from the Rams playoff loss and still recovering. Again maybe it's just me.......

To the untrained eye...it might seem like that. But the problem is...both are playing different positions than last year...and have different responsibilites. I said it last year...it was a mistake...because the change happened vs the Saints. And we have stuck w/ it ever since. they basically have castrated LVE from stuffing the run...which is his strength. Leave it to the dolt Marinelli to mess this up. LVE was playing @ a pro bowl level...making plays...was becoming the leader this defense needed. But nope...just had to make him position flexable...just like how they ruin all of their top picks....B. Jones...Taco....LVE....Hill. Starting to see a trend?

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Are they still in the team? Haven’t noticed either but I did see Sean snake lee for one play when he dropped an int

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Can't quite put my fingers on it but something is missing with both the guys. Last year they both were dominant in making plays over the field. This year, it's almost as if they are not reacting to as fast or decisively. Maybe I'm overreacting but if I didn't know better I would think they both lost a ton confidence from the Rams playoff loss and still recovering. Again maybe it's just me.......

It's nice to be 3-0 and be able to complain about things we're not quite sure about versus complaining about the obvious bad during a worse start.

wecasa

Reaction score
I'm thinking their apparent lack of passing the untrained eye test is a product of poor line and safety play. They are being used to cover for them. They aren't as free to go make plays because they have to be aware of whats going on in front of them and coverage. If your d line can be single blocked and not disruptive getting penetration, the LB'ers have to be gap disciplined and make up for that lack of disruption. Even the DE's are playing at a lower level than in the past. It may improve now that quinn is back and maybe when Crawford gets healthy.

Have there been any corner blitzes or safety blitzes? I don't think I've noticed it if they have.

J32969

Reaction score
Smith has really dropped off. He's struggling filling the hole on run plays, getting off blockers and really struggling on coverage plays. He looks slower to. I see him chasing but not catching up. Way different than last year from what I've watched.

J3

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Ya see, a thread like this shouldn't exist if the OP can't put together a meaningful comparison involving data or film or even a well-supported theory.

Let's raise our game Zoners.

erod

Reaction score
Frankly, Joe Thomas should be starting ahead of Jaylon right now.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LVE was incredible last year. He hasn’t gotten back to that level yet.

Jaylon is not sniffing his level of play from last year either. I almost wonder if his drop toe is back.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
I agree something seems off but they got off to a slow start last year. It wasn't until really the second half of the season when their play took off. They'll be fine. They haven't been terrible.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
They whole defense plays soft. I think part of it by design, keep them in front of you.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Frankly, Joe Thomas should be starting ahead of Jaylon right now.

I'd buy that....Jaylon needs to come off the field in passing situations. Sadly...we just handed this one legged LBer a huge contract...because we thought it would be smart to keep the hot boyz together. Guess we should have figured out he can't cover before doing that.

Sydla

Reaction score
I fid it Ironic Tank and Jaylon got big deals but neither is living up to them.. all we see on here is Zeke getting ripped because he not a 90mil back and all the comps and stats and constant ripping..

Zeke hasn't changed, best start to his 3 year career stat wise, hes a constant in the offense that can be counted on.. so he got paid and 90 mil isnt guaranteed 24 mil is if hes here march 2020 the 50 mil is guaranteed..

why is it so hard for fans to swallow, Zeke got paid, running up to his normal standards and will get better as he usually does with each game deeper into the season..

everyone wanted to say he can not hit homeruns etc well that snot his game, not enough tds really he had the same amount 28 before this season in 3 seasons as Melivin Gordon did in 4 seasons..i heard Kamara got his first rushing TD in 5 games today. was in drought..

Zeke is Zeke and he matters in this offense, he effects the d every snap..yet he simply is a constant can be counted on..

Yet the 2 players on defense arent doing anything..YET..

so I think let the season lay out before judgment but the D on a whole are way OFF..they arent doing anything right, dont say holding down points because the other teams simply shoot themselves in te foot a lot..

maybe by game 8 the entire team is in sync..we better be these next 4 weeks will tell us a lot..

LOL at turning this into a Zeke homage.

Hahahahahaha.