LVE or Hernandez?

Klingo3034

Reaction score
Ground and pound football keeps your defense off the field and eats up the clock.
As long as you have a legitimate threat in the passing game and a defense that doesn't give up a lot of points that's the winning formula

Defense that doesn't give up lots of points is important enough to focus drafting defense first. With this current defense, I'm not sure they meet that expectation. Especially if Sean Lee gets hurt again.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don’t want to overdraft an OG, but also can’t afford to miss on the LB. I don’t like either at 19, it a trade back for Hernandez if the defenders we want are all gone I could live with.

LVE is intriguing, but the shedding blocks thing is huge. Rule one with the first round pick is ‘don’t miss.’

kskboys

Reaction score
Don’t want to overdraft an OG, but also can’t afford to miss on the LB. I don’t like either at 19, it a trade back for Hernandez if the defenders we want are all gone I could live with.

LVE is intriguing, but the shedding blocks thing is huge. Rule one with the first round pick is ‘don’t miss.’
That's how I feel.

Don't care what anyone says, they both belong in the 2nd round.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LVE. Easy.

We have to get a starting linebacker in here.

I think a guard will slide to us in the 2nd. I’m liking that Center from Iowa.

RSM94

Reaction score
LVE.....need 2 LBs in this draft and can move Collins back to guard if necessary.

CPanther95

Reaction score
You draft the best player available . You don' fill quotas.
Hernandez helps this team win more games than LVE.
At 19 Hernandez is still BPA over LVE.

Hernandez could possibly be a better choice if you are looking to avoid a losing season next year.

LVE is the better choice if you want to have a team that is competitive in the playoffs within 2 or 3 years.

reddyuta

Reaction score
we cannot afford to draft an olineman in the first RD,the scouts have to do better at finding starters in later RDs(big hint-dont take often injured guys).

cowboyec

Reaction score
love them both.
but have to pick 1.
LVE.
then grab Austin Corbett or Braden Smith in the 2nd or 3rd.
dang this was a hard choice tho because I really like both players.
I still think DaRon Payne ends up being our pick tho.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You draft the best player available . You don' fill quotas.
Hernandez helps this team win more games than LVE.
At 19 Hernandez is still BPA over LVE.
Totally disagree. You quite simply cannot silicate all those resources to one position. Its utter madness..

Hardline

Reaction score
we cannot afford to draft an olineman in the first RD,the scouts have to do better at finding starters in later RDs(big hint-dont take often injured guys).
This team isn't capable of finding starters in later rounds
Totally disagree. You quite simply cannot silicate all those resources to one position. Its utter madness..
You don't get the best talent by worrying about "resources."
A first tier guard benefits this team than a second tier LB
I've already come to the realization that the Cowboys most likely won't be taking a OL anyway in the first round.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I would be fine with either one, or a DT, especially if they can trade back 4 or 5 spots, but if I had to pick one I would take LVE.

The run defense kept opposing teams in 3rd and manageable all season.

I don't care how many passed resources they allocated to a position, what matters is where are the holes and how can you fill them. Preferably by taking the best player available.. Every team has misses in the draft and FA, you can't let them dictate future decisions.

Sydla

Reaction score
It’s like 2014 and 2016 never happened.

Where we had elite OLs without having an elite OL at every spot along the OL but both times came up small in the big game because we had no defense.

So let’s draft an OL again at 19. Makes sense.

I also like how it’s just a foregone conclusion that an OG from UTEP is gonna just step in and be a stud from day one.