LVE or Hernandez?

Hardline

Reaction score
Here is the problem....Hernandez is so over rated. The guy is a stiff weightroom slugger...w/ limited mobility. Meh...

If you want that..you can get practically the same guy in Wyatt Teller....

Give me the guy that's gonna be the heart and soul of your defense for the next decade. I can't even believe this is even a debate.:rolleyes:
I really hope you're joking. Hernandez is the 2nd best pure guard in this draft.

kskboys

Reaction score
Thats a reasonable assumption but I think it over looks his limited starter experience. If I were part of the war room committee I would spend high capital on offensive lineman talent but thats just me.
I'd go OL in the 3rd or 4th, pending which players are still on board in the 3rd.

Not really. He does have limited starting experience, but w/o paying a fortune, that's what you usually get in FA. I didn't overlook it at all, that's why I said he's a relative uknown right now.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I'd go OL in the 3rd or 4th, pending which players are still on board in the 3rd.

Not really. He does have limited starting experience, but w/o paying a fortune, that's what you usually get in FA. I didn't overlook it at all, that's why I said he's a relative uknown right now.
Thats fine, I think there might be a quality guard in the 3rd.
I'm going for Branden Smith at the latest.

Klingo3034

Reaction score
If we can't get LVE, Josey Jewell looks good. Reminds me of Sean Lee on instincts if not very athletic.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I really hope you're joking. Hernandez is the 2nd best pure guard in this draft.

Nope...Take away Nelson...(and he is a stud I'd trade up for) I think this class is very over rated. Hear last night on Twitter...Miami is considering taking him w/ their first...if they can't get McCoy. God I hope this settles this BS. Miami reaches for yet another O-lineman.:laugh:

Hardline

Reaction score
Nope...Take away Nelson...(and he is a stud I'd trade up for) I think this class is very over rated. Hear last night on Twitter...Miami is considering taking him w/ their first...if they can't get McCoy. God I hope this settles this BS. Miami reaches for yet another O-lineman.:laugh:
This draft is very strong on Interior offensive lineman. It's tackles that are weak.

Verdict

Reaction score
Hernandez mainly because I think his floor is much higher and OL is harder to find than LB.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Pick 19. It’s down to these two. Trading back is not an option. Who do you take and why?
My thoughts?

Will- the pros: plug and play LG. Nasty run blocker. Allows us to leave Collins at RT and allows Fleming to be the swing. For better or worse the identity of this team is the OL and the run game so keep stocking it with talent. Keeping the other offense off the field helps the D.
Cons. Yet another 1st round pick on the OL. Won’t be able to keep them all. And a whole bunch of other holes remain open.

LVE- the pros: would fill perhaps the biggest hole on the team- MLB. Off the charts athlete with coverage ability that makes him ideal in this scheme. Would be a 3 down player which is huge. Only scratching the surface.
Cons. Only scratching the surface. Boom or bust type, only one huge year of production. Some say he isn’t physical enough given his size. Can we afford a miss?

I’m really torn. What say you CZ?
OT/OG Connor Williams would be the better option since he can play 2 positions on the Oline. He could start at LG right away, then move him to one of the Tackle positions if Tyron's back acts up again.

bodi

Reaction score

7. Will Hernandez, UTEP (guard)

Built like a refrigerator with arms. Plays with great power and surprising bend and range for a guy of his build. Can dominate in 1-on-1 situations, notably in the run game. Quick enough to pick up stunts and twists, but not always patient enough to get the timing right. Moves himself out of too many plays (see So. Miss game) and will go for the knockout blow too frequently. He’s a fully capable NFL starter but I don’t buy the considerable hype; less of a sure thing than you’ve been told. Doesn’t mean he still can’t be very good right away. Late 2nd-early 3rd grade, won’t last past about No. 40 overall

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...rospecting_offensive_linemen/s1_8276_26157155

Last updated 4/10/18

2. Austin Corbett, Nevada (guard)
3. Isaiah Wynn, Georgia (guard)
4. Frank Ragnow, Arkansas (center)
5. Billy Price, Ohio State (center)
6. Braden Smith, Auburn (guard)

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
This draft is very strong on Interior offensive lineman. It's tackles that are weak.
I personally wouldn't take any of the OT's in the 1st. However, from what I'm seeing the draft is deep w/ OT prospects, but the good ones are raw and may take 2-3 years to be ready to play.

Sydla

Reaction score

Well if it's very strong on interior OL, it makes even less sense given our needs to go and grab one in the first round.

Sydla

Reaction score
7. Will Hernandez, UTEP (guard)

Built like a refrigerator with arms. Plays with great power and surprising bend and range for a guy of his build. Can dominate in 1-on-1 situations, notably in the run game. Quick enough to pick up stunts and twists, but not always patient enough to get the timing right. Moves himself out of too many plays (see So. Miss game) and will go for the knockout blow too frequently. He’s a fully capable NFL starter but I don’t buy the considerable hype; less of a sure thing than you’ve been told. Doesn’t mean he still can’t be very good right away. Late 2nd-early 3rd grade, won’t last past about No. 40 overall

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...rospecting_offensive_linemen/s1_8276_26157155

Last updated 4/10/18

2. Austin Corbett, Nevada (guard)
3. Isaiah Wynn, Georgia (guard)
4. Frank Ragnow, Arkansas (center)
5. Billy Price, Ohio State (center)
6. Braden Smith, Auburn (guard)

Corbett or Smith are two guys I'd love to grab in the 2nd or maybe 3rd round.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't take any of the OT's in the 1st. However, from what I'm seeing the draft is deep w/ OT prospects, but the good ones are raw and may take 2-3 years to be ready to play.

I think Williams and McGlinchey warrant the pick, just not that early. They'll get overdrafted due to position, but they seem like viable 1st rounders after 20 or so.

Williams had top 15 tape the year before, but I think he was battling some injuries this year. Might be on the of the steals of the draft if he returns to form.

Sydla

Reaction score
Slightly below, but not that much.

It's highly improbable that Will won't be a quality starting OG in the NFL.

He's not "slightly" below. It's a cavern. Nelson is viewed as arguably the best pure football player in the draft by some, a rarity for a guy who is an OG. Watch the two play and it's clear one is significantly better than the other. Nelson was a better, more consistent and dominating player for a major college team compared to Hernandez.

That's not to say Hernandez can't be a good player but there is no comparison right now between the two. And frankly, I think the "slight" gap is between him and Wynn and Price and Corbett, not between him and Nelson.

DanA

Reaction score
Seems a lot of people are putting Hernandez over Wynn. I thought Wynn was significantly better at the senior bowl though.

And Nelson I think is the best guard I’ve seen coming out of college. Hernandez is miles behind IMO. It’s like comparing Ridley to OBJ.

bodi

Reaction score
That's not to say Hernandez can't be a good player but there is no comparison right now between the two. And frankly, I think the "slight" gap is between him and Wynn and Price and Corbett, not between him and Nelson

agreed