Lynch vs Prescott

Dundalis

Reaction score
I don't understand why you think that. It was reported that several teams that the top two QBs in this draft was rated higher by teams than the top two from the previous year. Going forward, Goff and Wentz looks like QB gods compared to the upcoming classes of QBs.
I think Winston and Mariota are clearly a step ahead as prospect compared to Goff and Wentz, although the gap probably isn't huge. However right now I'd take Deshaun Watson from next years class over all of them. A lot can change over a season, but he's absolutely there talent wise as is a guy like Kaaya.

thagan777

Reaction score

Eddie

Reaction score
Ok, ok, ok ... I get it.

You're trying to say we got a better player in the 4th round than the other player in the 1st round. I'm pretty sure only a Cowboy fan would make that assumption at this point.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
As long as the front office and coaching staff do not let him keep them from drafting another QB in the future, I tend to agree. My worry is, there may be a guy there in round 2 or 3 next year that we pass on because they like his development, which imo would be a mistake.

I see them following what the Patriots and Jets are doing which drafted QB's this year even though they had young QB backups. They may not draft a QB in 2017 but I could see the Cowboys drafting another one in the next 2-3 years.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I see them following what the Patriots and Jets are doing which drafted QB's this year even though they had young QB backups. They may not draft a QB in 2017 but I could see the Cowboys drafting another one in the next 2-3 years.

and that would be fine. I wanted a QB at #4 this year because I really think Goff and Wentz are better prospects than QBs most seasons. On par with Winston/Marriotta and better than the 2013 & 2014 group. Better than the 2011 group minus Cam and the 2010 group minus Bradford (as a prospect, not what he turned out to be), but for the most part I am against forcing the pick at QB. If a guy is there and you think he can be a franchise QB take him, even in the case of Prescott, if they think he can be a franchise QB, take him, just he's not a good enough prospect to keep me from doing the same thing next year.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
and that would be fine. I wanted a QB at #4 this year because I really think Goff and Wentz are better prospects than QBs most seasons. On par with Winston/Marriotta and better than the 2013 & 2014 group. Better than the 2011 group minus Cam and the 2010 group minus Bradford (as a prospect, not what he turned out to be), but for the most part I am against forcing the pick at QB. If a guy is there and you think he can be a franchise QB take him, even in the case of Prescott, if they think he can be a franchise QB, take him, just he's not a good enough prospect to keep me from doing the same thing next year.

The Cowboys would have preferred Lynch or Cook over Prescott, so I don't having Prescott is going to stop them from taking another QB. Prescott buys them a little time so they not take one next year unless a good one falls in their lap. But they should be back in the market for another QB within the next couple of years.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Romo is actually a type 13 as well (FCIR). It's the most popular QB in the NFL but historically not as good as the FEIR/ESTP (type 5). They aren't quite as good under pressure as the ESTP in big games (Playoffs/Superbowls). They tend to think of what "could be" instead of "what is" when under severe pressure. Check out the below link on Cam Newton who is also a type 13/FCIR (ENTP)

http://braintypes.com/2016/02/28-choke-what-happened-to-cam-newtons-brain/

What's their astrology sign?

waldoputty

Reaction score
Ok, ok, ok ... I get it.

You're trying to say we got a better player in the 4th round than the other player in the 1st round. I'm pretty sure only a Cowboy fan would make that assumption at this point.

Dak's floor may a lot higher than Lynch and can probably reach it sooner.
The floor is a functional backup due to his dual threat talents.
With our OL and Zeke, Dak could be a functional backup probably in 2017 if not earlier.

I think Lynch's ceiling is higher as a franchise QB, which is why Jerry was itching to pick him.
I also think Lynch has a higher chance to become a decent starter than Dak.
With my personal crystal ball, I give Lynch a 40% chance to be a starter.
Perhaps give Dak a 25% chance.
25% chance is pretty good for late 4th, especially with the high floor as a backup.
We will probably get a good idea how early we should draft a QB next year.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Presscott or Lynch ... lol ... Puleese!!....just compare him to Kellen Moore instead and stick with it, because that is what we are stuck with.

With that said, he has the opportunity to become the next Russell Wilson...at least that is what the Cowboys hope can happen. He'll have to turn that curve quickly like WiIlsons' example.

Wishful thinking as a future Russel Wilson? Most likely.

Can he develop into the next Tyrod Taylor? Could be.

The next Tim Tebow? Not nearly that bad.

His intangibles are there to become a quality 2nd string QB. A Bus Driver at best, and probably at worst. His floor may be as achievable, as his ceiling is reachable.

Last edited:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Don't take a losing bet Chris. There's enough reporting on this draft to tell us who was calling the shots. If Jerry wanted to give up the third for Lynch, they would have done it. Jerry himself regrets not doing it and says if he could do it all over again, he would.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/01/nfl-draft-dallas-cowboys-war-room-jerry-jones-peter-king

Now 9:47. Cincinnati on the clock; the Bengals, at 24, called to say no. Jerry Jones stood at the board near his seat, one observer saying he looked lost in thought as Stephen said to him: “Anything else? Want me to try something else?” Jerry Jones had no answers.

Now 9:54. Schneider back on the phone. The call was quick. Stephen Jones got off the phone, turned to Jerry Jones at the board, and as one eyewitness recalled, son said to father: “No way with Seattle. Too much. They want our two and three.”

Quiet in the room. “Thoughts?” Stephen Jones said to his father. “Any thoughts?”

He is the boss.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Good post! I've been saying this exact same thing :)

The thing that stands out to me about Prescott is his leadership and his pocket awareness and his ability to throw with somebody right in his face. and throw that ball accurate. Thats something the big boys in the NFL do very well now. Something Romo isnt able to do anymore. If you bring somebody up the middle and he's free Romo is going down. I like Prescott's confidence too. Think right now this team has a cross from Cam-Wilson hybrid type of player style. Ability to take the hits Cam does with the pocket awareness that Wilson shows. Really excited about the future with Elliot and Prescott

waldoputty

Reaction score
The thing that stands out to me about Prescott is his leadership and his pocket awareness and his ability to throw with somebody right in his face. and throw that ball accurate. Thats something the big boys in the NFL do very well now. Something Romo isnt able to do anymore. If you bring somebody up the middle and he's free Romo is going down. I like Prescott's confidence too. Think right now this team has a cross from Cam-Wilson hybrid type of player style. Ability to take the hits Cam does with the pocket awareness that Wilson shows. Really excited about the future with Elliot and Prescott

Big questions are accuracy and going through progressions.
If he has shown more accuracy with mid/long range passe, he is a 1st round pick...
Lets hope he develops.

I do think the dual threat with our OL/running game makes Dak more likely to be at least a quality backup in our system.
Defense will always have to commit resources to stop Elliott and worry about Dak taking off.
Defense may need a spy on Dak and 8 in the box to stop Zeke...

So Dak has these advantages over Lynch and probably has a higher floor over Lynch
But Lynch is more accurate and more likely to become a franchise QB.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I have no expectations for Prescott. If we would have drafted Lynch I would have been irritated because he is as dumb as dirt. There must be something to him for all the teams to rank him so high but me thinks he is ranked higher because of physical attributes like height and mobility rather than his college performance throwing the ball or reading defenses.

IMO, I would rather take a shot at Prescott in the fourth than trade up in the first like we would have had to do.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Lynch had 758 completions on 1205 attempts for 62.9% completion rate and 7.36 yards per attempt. He had 8,863 yards passing with 59 TDs and 23 INTs. He ran the ball 288 times for 687 yards with a 2.4 yards per avg with 17 rushing TDs.

Prescott had 734 completions on 1169 attempts for 62.8% completion rate and 8.02 yards per attempt. He had 9,376 yards passing with 70 TDs and 23 INTs. He ran the ball 536 times for 2,521 yards with a 4.7 yards per avg with 41 rushing TDs. Also, he had 4 receptions for 88 yards with 3 TDs.

Prescott played in a much tougher conference having to face LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, etc every year. I'm thinking that we did pretty good by not trading up and giving our 2nd and 3rd round picks away for Lynch when we may have gotten a more dynamic player at the end of the 4th round in Prescott.

Of course you would say that because you are a biased Cowboys fan. But no doubt had we drafted Lynch you would be saying the opposite. All I can tell you is that the Cowboys and the scouting world completely disagree with you. THAT being said, we can only hope you are right. The biggest thing for these guys is can they adjust to playing under center and reading defenses and handling the pressure.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Of course you would say that because you are a biased Cowboys fan. But no doubt had we drafted Lynch you would be saying the opposite. All I can tell you is that the Cowboys and the scouting world completely disagree with you. THAT being said, we can only hope you are right. The biggest thing for these guys is can they adjust to playing under center and reading defenses and handling the pressure.

So you have mind reading ability? You happen to know what I was thinking on draft day and after draft. You know what I would be thinking now if we had given up a 1st and 3rd to get Lynch. I was not on board with drafting a QB high in this draft because I am not sold on any of the QBs. I think they all have a very high bust potential so I am fine waiting until the end of the 4th and getting Dak Prescott. If we had chosen Lynch I would be mad right now because I think his game has a lot of flaws and I don't think he will be a starting QB in this league. The Denver and Dallas scouts seem to like him but it does not mean that I have to. I don't base my opinions on what our scouts think. In fact, I feel we made a mistake by taking Jaylon Smith in the 2nd Round. There were QB needy teams such as the Browns, Jets, and 49ers that had no problem passing on Lynch. I'm not saying that Dak Prescott is the answer, but at least he is not a 1st round mistake that cost us 2 premium draft picks.

School

Reaction score
For those looking for their football fix, this is last years Mississippi State vs Arkansas game. It's a fun game to watch - it's almost like a Big 12 game in that both defenses are powerless to stop the opposing offense. Dak and Arkansas's Brandon Allen both kill it. As a Razorback fan, I will say that pass defense was a weak point for the hogs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So you have mind reading ability? You happen to know what I was thinking on draft day and after draft. You know what I would be thinking now if we had given up a 1st and 3rd to get Lynch. I was not on board with drafting a QB high in this draft because I am not sold on any of the QBs. I think they all have a very high bust potential so I am fine waiting until the end of the 4th and getting Dak Prescott. If we had chosen Lynch I would be mad right now because I think his game has a lot of flaws and I don't think he will be a starting QB in this league. The Denver and Dallas scouts seem to like him but it does not mean that I have to. I don't base my opinions on what our scouts think. In fact, I feel we made a mistake by taking Jaylon Smith in the 2nd Round. There were QB needy teams such as the Browns, Jets, and 49ers that had no problem passing on Lynch. I'm not saying that Dak Prescott is the answer, but at least he is not a 1st round mistake that cost us 2 premium draft picks.

You implied you think he can be better than Lynch. Im just telling you that the experts and the Cowboys brass disagree with you.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
For those looking for their football fix, this is last years Mississippi State vs Arkansas game. It's a fun game to watch - it's almost like a Big 12 game in that both defenses are powerless to stop the opposing offense. Dak and Arkansas's Brandon Allen both kill it. As a Razorback fan, I will say that pass defense was a weak point for the hogs.

That was one helluva game.