Lynch vs Prescott

Ken

Reaction score
I just thank goodness that Denver came along and saved Jerry from himself. Or more precisely, Stephen wouldn't allow Jerry to mortgage this draft for Lynch.
I might be in the minority but I think Prescott has a fairly good shot at becoming at least a serviceable NFL QB. His intangibles are off the charts. IMO, it is smarts, leadership, charisma, etc. that play as big a part as arm strength when it comes to being a successful NFL QB.

The guy has "it" and the entire team at MS State felt it. That team followed Dak to victories that it had no business winning. Throw in that he is tough, mobile, and can really hurt teams when he scrambles and I don't know why anyone doesn't at least give Dak a chance at growing under Romo's mentoring and becoming a good player.

IMO, Prescott has a whole lot going for him. His situation is close to ideal and there are plenty of raw tools to work with there. With his natural ability to get the team behind him and to rally them to wins they never should have had... he is a very worthwhile late 4th round pick.

I mostly agree with you. I had Lynch as the 2nd best QB in this draft and in two years he is probably the best from this class.

I see Prescott as the 3rd best QB. Yes...over Wentz-...

I know that is viewed as crazy by most everyone but Wentz-...other than measurables, has shown no ability to dominate on the FCS level. That is concerning. Ist is quite the leap to think he will transform into Andrew Luck on the next level.

Dak did it in a great conference and has so much going for him.

Needless to say...I am quite thrilled to have Dak.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I liked both Prescott and Lynch for us for where they went in the draft. Lynch deservedly went higher because he's got less work to do, making him a higher probability player to hit on. That doesn't mean Dak can't be developed. It just means it's going to take time, and it's a greater unknown.

But as raw talents go, both of these guys have something worth taking a look at, and both went right where they should have in the draft. I want the QB position addressed with serious resources, but we do have the luxury of a little bit of time here. Dak gets a season to show what rate he can progress at. He needs to catch Kellen Moore by the end of next camp, and we need to be looking seriously at QBs high in the draft next season, too. And every season until we have a guy.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I didn't like Lynch before the draft, I was ranting about him being trash in the chat. Want to go pull up threads on Lynch before the draft to see what I said?

So direct your idiocy towards someone else.

Is there some kind of (overly)Sensitivity class they offer where you live? and how many times have you taken it?

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
Truthfully I'm not sure if any of the QB's from this class are going to be decent starters at any point.

I don't understand why you think that. It was reported that several teams that the top two QBs in this draft was rated higher by teams than the top two from the previous year. Going forward, Goff and Wentz looks like QB gods compared to the upcoming classes of QBs.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't understand why you think that. It was reported that several teams that the top two QBs in this draft was rated higher by teams than the top two from the previous year. Going forward, Goff and Wentz looks like QB gods compared to the upcoming classes of QBs.

It's because unless I see the names of actual teams associated with stories like that I consider the story too ambiguous to mean anything. "Several" could mean three teams. It could mean teams that haven't done a god job evaluating QB's... Again too me it just doesn't mean a whole lot.

jnday

Reaction score
Funny you use Lynch being drafted higher in the 1st round as justification he's better than Dak but then in the next sentence use Tebow as an example of the "it" factor not translating to the NFL. Tebow too was drafted in the 1st round by this same Denver Bronco's team lol. He went on to have a stellar NFL career........draft status means nothing. Sam Bradford was the 1st overall pick in that same draft and Tebow was a 1st rounder and Jimmy Clausen was a 2nd rounder. A terrible draft for quarterbacks.
Tebow was a bust considering his draft position and he had better leadership qualities than Dak has ever had. Draft status is a clear indication of the talent level as it is evaluated by the teams. Of course they miss a few. Many players don't have the mental ability or the commitment to play pro football. Bradford is s very talented player, but injuries has ruined his career. You and many others are placing too much value on a late 4th round draft pick. Lynch has much more physical talent and ha carriers s team that offered no supporting talent in college. It was a stupid move not to trade up and draft him if he really was rated as the 12 th best player on there board. They liked him and trying to find the future QB for this team will cost much more.

jnday

Reaction score
I mostly agree with you. I had Lynch as the 2nd best QB in this draft and in two years he is probably the best from this class.

I see Prescott as the 3rd best QB. Yes...over Wentz-...

I know that is viewed as crazy by most everyone but Wentz-...other than measurables, has shown no ability to dominate on the FCS level. That is concerning. Ist is quite the leap to think he will transform into Andrew Luck on the next level.

Dak did it in a great conference and has so much going for him.

Needless to say...I am quite thrilled to have Dak.

Yeah, this is crazy.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Lynch had 758 completions on 1205 attempts for 62.9% completion rate and 7.36 yards per attempt. He had 8,863 yards passing with 59 TDs and 23 INTs. He ran the ball 288 times for 687 yards with a 2.4 yards per avg with 17 rushing TDs.

Prescott had 734 completions on 1169 attempts for 62.8% completion rate and 8.02 yards per attempt. He had 9,376 yards passing with 70 TDs and 23 INTs. He ran the ball 536 times for 2,521 yards with a 4.7 yards per avg with 41 rushing TDs. Also, he had 4 receptions for 88 yards with 3 TDs.

Prescott played in a much tougher conference having to face LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, etc every year. I'm thinking that we did pretty good by not trading up and giving our 2nd and 3rd round picks away for Lynch when we may have gotten a more dynamic player at the end of the 4th round in Prescott.
for all the talk about SEC defenses they seem to have trouble with any QB that has any dual threat capabilities at all.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The other thing is that the QB class coming into 2015 wasn't any great shakes either.

No matter what the Wentz boosters would have anyone believe, the guy was 2nd rounder at best for most of the 2015 season. Goff & Lynch took turns rising & falling.

As a matter of fact the top senior QB coming into 2015 per Ourlads (again this was just seniors) was Prescott.

My guess is that couple guys will do the "Goff/Wentz" dance prior to the 2016 draft.

jnday

Reaction score
The other thing is that the QB class coming into 2015 wasn't any great shakes either.

No matter what the Wentz boosters would have anyone believe, the guy was 2nd rounder at best for most of the 2015 season. Goff & Lynch took turns rising & falling.

As a matter of fact the top senior QB coming into 2015 per Ourlads (again this was just seniors) was Prescott.

My guess is that couple guys will do the "Goff/Wentz" dance prior to the 2016 draft.

From looking at next year's class, I notice that the desired size is lacking on just about all of the QBs. From the numbers I have seen, there are no 6'5"', 235 lb QBs in the coming draft that has the string arms and can move. It was reported that the a Eagles saw the same things in the next couple of classes and it prompted them to trade up for Wentz. The arm, size, speed and mental ability is becoming a rare thing for the QBs that are coming out of college to have. I actually wish Jerry would have traded up for Lynch since they really liked him. The cost would have been cheap compared to paying for one in the future. The spread offense is killing the development of quality QBs IMO.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From looking at next year's class, I notice that the desired size is lacking on just about all of the QBs. From the numbers I have seen, there are no 6'5"', 235 lb QBs in the coming draft that has the string arms and can move. It was reported that the a Eagles saw the same things in the next couple of classes and it prompted them to trade up for Wentz. The arm, size, speed and mental ability is becoming a rare thing for the QBs that are coming out of college to have. I actually wish Jerry would have traded up for Lynch since they really liked him. The cost would have been cheap compared to paying for one in the future. The spread offense is killing the development of quality QBs IMO.

Certainly size I a positive... And if they aren't there, they aren't there.

After watching guy like Wilson, Brees and you can put Romo in that class, the shorter guys can succeed if they can read a defense and have a quick release.

Obviously it's going to be a while before we determine if any of the QB's coming out next year have those attributes.

erod

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what either did in those high school offenses.

It's about which can learn the NFL game, which is entirely different.

jnday

Reaction score

I expect my pet cat Chad Kelly from Ole Miss to do well, but I would have preferred Lynch over him.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
No idea how Dak will turn out, but he was certainly worth an end of 4th round pick

As long as the front office and coaching staff do not let him keep them from drafting another QB in the future, I tend to agree. My worry is, there may be a guy there in round 2 or 3 next year that we pass on because they like his development, which imo would be a mistake.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I expect my pet cat Chad Kelly from Ole Miss to do well, but I would have preferred Lynch over him.

Lot's of talk about Kelly here in western New York... but that's understandable given his background.

Interesting prospect. Little bit of a loose cannon but he could have his head on straight now.

Can't argue with his pedigree.

DFWJC

Reaction score
As long as the front office and coaching staff do not let him keep them from drafting another QB in the future, I tend to agree. My worry is, there may be a guy there in round 2 or 3 next year that we pass on because they like his development, which imo would be a mistake.

Legit concern

dallasdave

Reaction score
Lynch had 758 completions on 1205 attempts for 62.9% completion rate and 7.36 yards per attempt. He had 8,863 yards passing with 59 TDs and 23 INTs. He ran the ball 288 times for 687 yards with a 2.4 yards per avg with 17 rushing TDs.

Prescott had 734 completions on 1169 attempts for 62.8% completion rate and 8.02 yards per attempt. He had 9,376 yards passing with 70 TDs and 23 INTs. He ran the ball 536 times for 2,521 yards with a 4.7 yards per avg with 41 rushing TDs. Also, he had 4 receptions for 88 yards with 3 TDs.

Prescott played in a much tougher conference having to face LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, etc every year. I'm thinking that we did pretty good by not trading up and giving our 2nd and 3rd round picks away for Lynch when we may have gotten a more dynamic player at the end of the 4th round in Prescott.

I like the sound of this, and makes the Prescott sound even better !!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

dallasdave

Reaction score
Dak Prescott also played with by far the worst offensive line in the SEC and played in the SEC West, with the best defensive front 7s in the conference.

Both are project players, but I'm tired of people acting like Dak Prescott can't play. But, such is life on message boards where people care about the salary/college film of practice squad players let alone a draft pick.

:thumbup: