Machota on the new DC if Quinn leaves

Jumbo075

Reaction score
When a man in charge can never admit he was wrong, everything after that is wrong. It’s a law of nature.
As if Jerry has never admitted he has been wrong. He has admitted error many times - including taking responsibility for the loss this past Sunday.

But what some fans want is to vicariously experience a coach who will tell Jerry off, or put him in his place. More want him to just sell the team, imagining the Cowboys that it is guaranteed the Cowboys would get a better owner and not get someone like Dan Snyder. Be careful what you wish for.

Jerry doesn’t have to act to satisfy the personal vengeance wanted by many fans.

Fans also imagine the Cowboys would automatically get a better GM than Jerry, and don’t consider the odds are better they’d get a Matt Millen kind of GM. Again, be careful what you wish for.

Owner Lamar Hunt’s team, the Kansas City Chiefs went about 50 years between Super Bowl wins. Andy Reid was considered a bust as a head coach. Now the Chiefs and Andy Reid are the toast of the league. What? Patrick Mahomes.

There are many teams in the NFL worse off at both the owner and GM positions than the Cowboys. There is also a reason teams search so hard for the right QB.

Most “great coaches, owners and GM’s in NFL history owe their reputations to being fortunate to find the right QB to lead their team. Behind every “legendary” coach owner and GM is a great QB. You can count on one hand coaches who have been to Super Bowls with multiple QB’s. It’s why the Cowboys are so hesitant to move on from Dak.

bigE79

Reaction score
Can't link it as it's a paid service but in Machota's 5 things that must change in 2024 (Run game, better Prescott in big games, improved road performance, must draft well unlike 2023 and defensive improvement) he says this about Dan Quinn's replacement should he leave.

-

The biggest uncertainty at the moment for the Cowboys is who will be calling their defense. Defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is in the process of interviewing with several teams for their head coach openings. If he doesn’t get one of those jobs, will he back in Dallas for another season? Probably so. If he’s not back, who is taking over that very important position? It’s unlikely that someone in house would be next in line. It would probably go to a coach with previous NFL head coaching experience.

-

No in house. Someone with prior head coaching experience. Which would mean more of a scheme change than if they elevated Nit Whitt Jr.
No decent DC will want to come here with a lame duck coach..imo

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
I don’t think Quinn was the problem. I think the injuries to Overshown, and LVE really hurt this defense. He was playing with a 215lb LB out of necessity not want.
That’s a fair point. That said, this is all the more reason he had to come up with something more creative than 6 dbs all the time. Micah wasn’t getting home. Maybe that would have been an option to put more heft at LB, rather than Bell. I mean at this point anyone over 230lbs that played LB ever would at least be something different to stop the run. It was a handicap but we didn’t even try an artificial leg after Buffalo, knowing the playoffs were coming too. Something besides if they run for 250 but Dak throws for 500 we will win had to be better.

To be clear, I respect Bell’s efforts to pull it off. It’s no attack on his efforts. I’m just frustrated that the front office was ok with putting DQ in this position, and DQ being ok with sticking to the plan and not being more creative when people started attacking it. I’m setting the bar low too, by improvement I am talking a 4 yd per carry average instead of 9 on 1st down from opposing rb’s.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As if Jerry has never admitted he has been wrong. He has admitted error many times - including taking responsibility for the loss this past Sunday.

But what some fans want is to vicariously experience a coach who will tell Jerry off, or put him in his place. More want him to just sell the team, imagining the Cowboys that it is guaranteed the Cowboys would get a better owner and not get someone like Dan Snyder. Be careful what you wish for.

Jerry doesn’t have to act to satisfy the personal vengeance wanted by many fans.

Fans also imagine the Cowboys would automatically get a better GM than Jerry, and don’t consider the odds are better they’d get a Matt Millen kind of GM. Again, be careful what you wish for.

Owner Lamar Hunt’s team, the Kansas City Chiefs went about 50 years between Super Bowl wins. Andy Reid was considered a bust as a head coach. Now the Chiefs and Andy Reid are the toast of the league. What? Patrick Mahomes.

There are many teams in the NFL worse off at both the owner and GM positions than the Cowboys. There is also a reason teams search so hard for the right QB.

Most “great coaches, owners and GM’s in NFL history owe their reputations to being fortunate to find the right QB to lead their team. Behind every “legendary” coach owner and GM is a great QB. You can count on one hand coaches who have been to Super Bowls with multiple QB’s. It’s why the Cowboys are so hesitant to move on from Dak.
I can only speak for myself, but I don’t think personal vengeance is what fans want. What I believe most want to see is results. For the last nearly three decades, we have not been getting the playoff results we desire. Thinking that wanting better results is vengeance is misplaced IMO.

Secondly, the mistake that Jerry has never admitted and apparently cannot admit is that in three decades - with 6 different head coaches, 16 different OC and DCs and countless different players- is that he is incapable of taking this team to achieve what all but a few other teams in this league have: Make it at least to a conference championship game.

Yes JJ has admitted some of his mistakes. But the biggest mistake he continues to make is the one that 30 other owners know they should not make. And that is naming themselves as General Manager. Until Jerry Jones is capable of finally realizing that him being the GM is a huge ongoing mistake, he proves to be unwilling to admit his biggest and most meaningful mistake.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No no no. What we want is Jerry to step back and let a coach lead the team. We want less Jerry.

Just bc we aren’t the worst team is no consolation. You want us to be thankful for the mediocrity Jerry’s been serving up for decades? No thanks.

Bagman

Reaction score
I don’t think Quinn was the problem. I think the injuries to Overshown, and LVE really hurt this defense. He was playing with a 215lb LB out of necessity not want.
Overshown is a rookie. He wasn't going to change the whole defense. Also, he only weighs 230

quickccc

Reaction score
Don't let McCarthy choose the DC .. .management knows this well . thats' why THEY hired Quinn.

Joe Witt JR.
Al Harris
Adam Zimmer
Jack Del Rio