MacMahon: Premature 53-man roster projection

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hostile;2173883 said:
I'll take a stab at it.

QB...Romo, Johnson (2)
I've given up on a viable 3rd for this year and don't believe Bartel is it. Still pissed about losing Matt Moore.

RB...Barber, Jones, Choice (3)
No doubt about it.

FB...Anderson, Cruz (2)
Cruz not likely to be active any game.

TE...Witten, Bennett, Curtis (3)
Again, no doubt.

WR...Owens, Crayton, Hurd, Miles, Stanback, Amendola (6)
Until I see us make a trade for a WR these are the 6 guys who are gettig the pub and that counts.

OL...Adams, Kosier, Gurode, Davis, Columbo, Free, Marten, McQuistan, Berger (9)
I predict OL will be a focus on the 2009 draft.

That is 25.

DL...Ratliff, Johnson, Canty, Spears, Hatcher, Dixon, Bowen (7)
Dixon or Robertson are my surprise D picks.

OLB...Ware, Ellis, Spencer, Burnett (4)
Maybe they move Rogers back outside...

ILB...Thomas, James, Rogers, Carpenter (4)
...and keep Burnett inside.

S...Williams, Hamlin, Brown, Watkins (4)
Little doubt here.

CB...Newman, Jones, Henry, Jenkins, Scandrick, Ball (6)
They pulled Ball of the PS last year so no one could claim him. If as I think we trade for a WR I believe it will be from the CBs and Oglesby could be the 6th.

That's 25.

K...Folk
P...McBriar
LS...LaDoucer

That's 3.

That's my best shot.

Well you did go out of a limb once. They are saying Dixon looks like the light came on. Likely its coming on and going off and coming on. But someone will surprise due to play, injury or trade.

I like Davis but he could go to the PS unless he shines too much in preseason. I think Amendola would be the sixth. I only see one FB which could allow Hannah or Coleman to make the squad. These guys need to shine on STs just like the other bubbles.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Here is my 53 at this point:

Newman
Pacman
Henry
Jenkins
Scandrick
Ball
Oglesby

I say Dallas keeps 7 CBs. Two are dinged up now, and Henry has a history of injuries. Plus, I'm counting him as the fifth safety. If its comes down to Oglesby and Amendola, I predict Oglesby wins. If you put both of them on waivers, who would be claimed first? I say the CB. Don't mess with your secondary depth. It is freakish for the NFL, and it could be the key to winning in the playoffs.

Hamlin
Williams
Brown
Watkins

Canty
Spears
Ratliff
Tank
Hatcher
Bowen
Dixon

The Dolphins and Jets are going to be coming for Bowen. You can count on it. Dixon is a find for the future.

Ware
Spencer
Ellis
James
Thomas
Burnett
Carpenter
Rodgers
Walden

I say we keep nine, because they are all good. I say Walden makes it, and Rodgers keeps his spot on the roster. Again, don't play a numbers game and cut a good football player or hurt a position of strength. Keep nine. Walden needs time, but he is a pressure player. Will he clear waivers? I wouldn't chance it. Remember, the QB we should have kept last year. He is in Carolina. That was a goof.

Gurode
Davis
Kosier
Adams
Colombo
Free
Berger
McQuistan

I think Marten is playing his way off the team. El busto. Furthermore, Proctor isn't cutting it at center. Again, don't keep a back-up center and knock a better player off the team. Don't get too caught up in the numbers.

Romo
Johnson

Anderson

Barber
Felix
Choice
Lattimore

Coleman is worthy as well, but I'm going with Ray Lewis' cousin. I heard Vela say on his radio show that perhaps a fourth running back can make it if they play some h-back. Vela mentioned Lattimore in this regard.

Witten
Bennett
Curtis

Owens
Crayton
Hurd
Austin
Stanback

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
PosterChild;2173809 said:
Who needs the preseason to project the 53-man roster? Follow the jump for one man's educated guesses.

Somehow I get the idea that the whole post was built around Danny Armendola.
I don't think Wade is gonna keep 6 wideouts and I don't think he beats out Stanback, Hurd or Miles.
Sorry.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
bbgun;2173863 said:
It's amazing how there's very little competition for starting jobs. A good sign, no doubt.

I disagree, a little competition is always good.

PosterChild

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2173933 said:
I don't think Wade is gonna keep 6 wideouts and I don't think he beats out Stanback, Hurd or Miles.
Sorry.

Noted.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Sorry.

The team kept 6 last year.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile;2173883 said:
OLB...Ware, Ellis, Spencer, Burnett (4)
Maybe they move Rogers back outside...

ILB...Thomas, James, Rogers, Carpenter (4)
...and keep Burnett inside.

Has Burnett gotten any reps outside in the last several years? Pretty sure he is entrenched inside.

Rogers has worked both inside and outside in camp this year.

Either way, I think you've got the right guys.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk;2174071 said:
Has Burnett gotten any reps outside in the last several years? Pretty sure he is entrenched inside.

Rogers has worked both inside and outside in camp this year.

Either way, I think you've got the right guys.
Burnett spelled Ware a few times at the end of last year. I think he, Carpenter, and Rogers can play inside or out while someone gets a 2nd wind.

That versatility is valuable.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Sorry.
That's Tim MacMahon's 53 roster, not the OPs. Wade kept 6 WRs last year and has said that he normally only keeps 5 CBs but could keep 6. Sure there's a chance they keep 7 but thats pretty abnormal when you can only suit out a 45 man roster on gameday.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I still dont see anyway that isiah stanback is active on gameday, So it will be interesting to see if they are going to have two inactive wr each week.

It is going to be a tough decision.