Magic Johnson and Isiah Thomas emotional reconciliation

Bigdog

Reaction score
He was the ring leader of a team nicknamed "the bad boys". They were hated by everyone outside of Detroit. Isiah was a baby faced assassin, and played with an unmatched intensity.

Isiah and Joe Dumars have got to be one the best back court tandems in NBA history. In fact, I can't think of another that dominated on both ends of the floor like they did. They won back to back titles in 89-90. Unfortunately, for Isiah, his prime coincided with the rise of Michael Jordan who despised him and kept him off the original Dream Team.
Yeah they had the Jordan rules and anybody going to he hoops was going to be fouled hard. The funny thing is the Sixers a few years earlier with Barkely, Malone, and Dr. J had instituted the no lay up rule but no said much at the time about it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah they had the Jordan rules and anybody going to he hoops was going to be fouled hard. The funny thing is the Sixers a few years earlier with Barkely, Malone, and Dr. J had instituted the no lay up rule but no said much at the time about it.

It just goes to show you what poor sport Jordan could be. He didn't like Isiah bc his team lost 2 conference finals to the Pistons. He told Jerry Collangelo that he would have to choose between him and Isiah for the Dream team. Its probably the only black mark on his NBA career. In reality, he should have thanked the pistons b/c he developed an unstoppable game b/c of them. He went from being a guy who tried to dunk on every drive to a better all-round player who could kill you off the dribble or pull up and shoot it over you. He really worked on his outside game b/c he couldn't get through the lane against Detroit.

Bigdog

Reaction score
It just goes to show you what poor sport Jordan could be. He didn't like Isiah bc his team lost 2 conference finals to the Pistons. He told Jerry Collangelo that he would have to choose between him and Isiah for the Dream team. Its probably the only black mark on his NBA career. In reality, he should have thanked the pistons b/c he developed an unstoppable game b/c of them. He went from being a guy who tried to dunk on every drive to a better all-round player who could kill you off the dribble or pull up and shoot it over you. He really worked on his outside game b/c he couldn't get through the lane against Detroit.
Agree. I really think the Pistons made Jordan a better player. I just remember how everyone was so negative against the Pistons style of play and Sixers played the same way a couple of years earlier and no one said much about it. And I am. Sixers fan. Love Dr. J and thought he was very classy. As a result, not a big Celtics fan mainly because Bird would always beat the Sixers in game 7 with some miraculous shot in the Garden to go on to meet the Lakers in championship. I have respect for Bird now but at that time I despised him for sinking my hopes. He did that to many fans though.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
The NBA is actually getting better again now. Refs are calling less fouls which makes the games better.

I'll give you that...good point. Unfortunately, now there are players whining about not getting calls and are coming out and saying that certain refs are 'letting guys play' because of their dislike for them. And to that point, I am completely put off by players who 'expect' fouls just because of their status in the game. The easiest one to pick on is LeBron. Anytime he misses a shot, after driving through the lane, he puts on his poopy face and starts crying to the refs.

Don't get me wrong, I am still a die hard Celtic fan and watch every game. I still enjoy it so you can say that I'm nitpicking.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree. I really think the Pistons made Jordan a better player. I just remember how everyone was so negative against the Pistons style of play and Sixers played the same way a couple of years earlier and no one said much about it. And I am. Sixers fan. Love Dr. J and thought he was very classy. As a result, not a big Celtics fan mainly because Bird would always beat the Sixers in game 7 with some miraculous shot in the Garden to go on to meet the Lakers in championship. I have respect for Bird now but at that time I despised him for sinking my hopes. He did that to many fans though.

I enjoyed those early 80's games. It was always Sixers-Lakers or Sixers-Celtics ............once in a while they'd throw in a Milwaukee game and I'd sit in front of the TV stunned that Brian Winter was dominating. That scrawny dude could shoot. My only issue with Sixers Malone. He was just hard to watch........ He was the opposite of Dr J. I'd be rooting for Dr J on every trip down the court to do something spectacular and too often I had to settle for a Malone layup under the basket.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I enjoyed those early 80's games. It was always Sixers-Lakers or Sixers-Celtics ............once in a while they'd throw in a Milwaukee game and I'd sit in front of the TV stunned that Brian Winter was dominating. That scrawny dude could shoot. My only issue with Sixers Malone. He was just hard to watch........ He was the opposite of Dr J. I'd be rooting for Dr J on every trip down the court to do something spectacular and too often I had to settle for a Malone layup under the basket.
Yeah they were fun to watch. Milwaukee had Sidney Moncreif who was good but bird just tore my heart out too many times.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jordans beef with Isaih came from the All Star game freeze out