News: Mailbag: Why is David Irving not starting?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
How many sacks? Forced fumbles? Fumble recoveries? Blocked passes? Tackles for loss?

Irving has outplayed him in much fewer snaps.

Big plays are important but so is playing sound football. Does he know his assignment each play and how does he grade for each play? Both of them or all of them.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Big plays are important but so is playing sound football. Does he know his assignment each play and how does he grade for each play? Both of them or all of them.

I don't pretend to know how he grades out, but I will tell you what my eyes see and what is on the stat sheet. Irving makes plays, and a playmaker is always more valuable than a solid guy in my book. This is the reason why people hated Hayden so much, he never made a play, he was just solid, at best. Collins may not be as mediocre or below average as Hayden, but he is also not even close to being the impact player that Irving has proven himself to be in his handful of opportunities.

Jimmy and Belichick would let the best players play, then hold them accountable for their mistakes. Lesser coaches would rather play it safe with the safe but unspectacular player. I guess I have just abhorred the safe play, like prevent defense.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
How many sacks? Forced fumbles? Fumble recoveries? Blocked passes? Tackles for loss?

Irving has outplayed him in much fewer snaps.

thats the point, Irving does better with less, not more right now.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
thats the point, Irving does better with less, not more right now.

That's not a point, that is just sheep speak. All this crap about not playing sound football is not substantiated anywhere but the fans that create things out of thin air to support a coaching decision.

The first week of training camp, I tabbed David Irving as my breakout player of the year for the Cowboys. He promptly exited stage left for the nearest milk carton. Nah, he just hasn’t been healthy and, well, he’s still not feeling great. But my, oh my, just a ridiculous breakout game for the kid. Not often a player has the forced fumble and the recovery, especially when the latter is 3 yards away. Four tackles, too. There is no one with a bigger upside on the defense.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/10/17/sullivan-signs-elite-team-irving’s-play-among-thoughts

ShiningStar

Reaction score
That's not a point, that is just sheep speak. All this crap about not playing sound football is not substantiated anywhere but the fans that create things out of thin air to support a coaching decision.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/10/17/sullivan-signs-elite-team-irving’s-play-among-thoughts

can he make those plays all the time, no, hes not having a break out season based on full time play. maybe hes not a full time player, idk, he does more with less, thats fine, work til we find something better. what can be said? you cant make something thats not there and our coaches are not going to keep someone on the bench is will be a full time super star.

Deal with it maybe hes not as great as people thought.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...-david-irving-could-bye-week-disrupt-momentum

Why is David Irving not starting? All he does is make big plays, always seems to be around the ball and pressuring the quarterback.

Rob: I think it speaks to how well the defensive tackles, Terrell McClain and Maliek Collins, are playing, which has allowed Tyrone Crawford to move outside to defensive end. Irving was averaging about 22 defensive snaps before getting hurt in the fourth game, and he obviously had a big impact in his return to the lineup against the Packers. They’ve used him as an outside and inside rusher, and more impactful plays like that should mean more playing time in Rod Marinelli’s rotation. Remember, he might have been in line for one of the starting defensive end spots before hurting his groin in the middle of preseason.

David: As promising as he might be, Irving is still a really young player – and he’ll be the first to tell you how often he makes mistakes. I think the Cowboys like the idea of limiting his snaps to pass rush situations, so he doesn’t have to worry about as much. But, man. After the performance he turned in on Sunday, he should be in line for more snaps.

Politics.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
can he make those plays all the time, no, hes not having a break out season based on full time play. maybe hes not a full time player, idk, he does more with less, thats fine, work til we find something better. what can be said? you cant make something thats not there and our coaches are not going to keep someone on the bench is will be a full time super star.

Deal with it maybe hes not as great as people thought.

LOL. I'll "deal" with his lack of greatness (your words, but don't think even YOU believe them) as long as Irving continues to make game changing plays. Not one, not two, not THREE, but FOUR game changing plays in only EIGHTEEN snaps.

And Sullivan is strongly implying that Irving is not even 100%. Some people just cling to their agendas for dear life. SMH

ShiningStar

Reaction score
LOL. I'll "deal" with his lack of greatness (your words, but don't think even YOU believe them) as long as Irving continues to make game changing plays. Not one, not two, not THREE, but FOUR game changing plays in only EIGHTEEN snaps.

And Sullivan is strongly implying that Irving is not even 100%. Some people just cling to their agendas for dear life. SMH

hes so great KC let him walk. i dont think so.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
"Brady's so great that he went in the 6th round? I don't think so."

Kinda like that?

no, lets get real, KC has been finding some good defensive players, next time dont try to get cute it doesnt work for you. QBs are harder to gauge, unless you think players like Dak fall out of trees? second defensive linemen like Irving are not rare, they are players, thats all. we know hes not going to be an "elite" player, like most thought Dunbar or Spencer was.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
no, lets get real, KC has been finding some good defensive players, next time dont try to get cute it doesnt work for you. QBs are harder to gauge, unless you think players like Dak fall out of trees? second defensive linemen like Irving are not rare, they are players, thats all. we know hes not going to be an "elite" player, like most thought Dunbar or Spencer was.

So no QBs. Okay, how about Richard Sherman or James Harrison or Wes Welker?

Reactions: BAT

ShiningStar

Reaction score
So no QBs. Okay, how about Richard Sherman or James Harrison or Wes Welker?

all proved they had something from year 1, are you trying to compare a PS player to those guys? seriously? dear lords. Yes, i believe Sherman was on the PS for 2 years. WW just came off of it and Harrison was on 3 PS's before anyone spotted his talent.

LOL, stop trying its hurting my sides

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
all proved they had something from year 1, are you trying to compare a PS player to those guys? seriously? dear lords. Yes, i believe Sherman was on the PS for 2 years. WW just came off of it and Harrison was on 3 PS's before anyone spotted his talent.

LOL, stop trying its hurting my sides

Not sure if you're joking or not, but Harrison actually was on a practice squad. Not sure about Sherman. Arian Foster was. Amendola, Woodhead, Wake, Warner, Kuhn, Browner, Peters, Rod Smith,

Reactions: BAT

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Not sure if you're joking or not, but Harrison actually was on a practice squad. Not sure about Sherman. Arian Foster was. Amendola, Woodhead, Wake, Warner, Kuhn, Browner, Peters, Rod Smith,

yea im ruing over Amendola too. yes, lots of players were, the problem is, not everyone is going to be "elite" or :"legit" or whatever the talk shows have people saying like "difference maker" some people are just going to be "better than average" possiblly a jag"

There was a player we lost to KC a few years ago, not the "next best thing" for sure, but KC got more out of him than we did. That happens as well, some coaches can just coach up guys better, ie Rod, he does more with less most times.

Did we get a "great player" most likely not, but so far we got a player who does more with "less" so we just gotta take it for what it is. unless your still under the impression Dunbar is a legend, than, ill just shake my head.

Not every player we draft, or sign is goign to the pro bowl, i hate to break it to you. No easter bunny either. it happens. A few years ago, we let a good player named Ware go, maybe you heard of him, i dont know if you did. Poor Ware just wanted to attack the QB. Dallas had a better plan. Sadly that didnt end well for Dallas. You should have heard teh fans who said "ware cant get to the qb, he has nothing left, all the coaches on this board, but Ware was smart, if he wanted to win a ring, he had to leave and thats what he did. Its sad but its fact. Some players are better than we know, and some players suck and sometimes we get one to work that would suck else where.