News: Mailbag: Why is David Irving not starting?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
James Harrison was lucky the Steelers saw something.......
Harrison went undrafted in the 2002 NFL Draft, as teams feared he was too short (six feet) to play linebacker, and too light (240 pounds) to play on the defensive line. A few teams did send him training camp invites.[6] The Steelers signed Harrison as an undrafted rookie in 2002, making him the first Kent State alumnus to play at linebacker for the team since Hall of Famer Jack Lambert.

Harrison during Steelers Training Camp in 2008.
Harrison spent two years on and off the practice squad for the Steelers, being released three times, and also was briefly on the active roster towards the end of the 2002 season, playing only special teams. Teammate and fellow linebacker, James Farrior, later told NFL Network that Harrison was so green early on in his career that he would simply "give up" on plays on which he was struggling and even would ask the coaches not to play him when he was struggling.[7] Farrior said, "He was a knucklehead that didn't know the plays. We'd be in practice, in training camp, and he might not know what he was doing so he'd just stop and throw his hands up and tell (the coaches) to get him out of there. We thought the guy was crazy."[8]

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Is Irving going to have that type of career, the easy bet is no, right now the coaches arent even impressed with him. So dont get excited, just because hes a cowboy doesnt mean hes "all pro" just means hes getting a pay check and might be "good enough"

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Ps im also still waiting for Mat Johnson and Pat Watkins to "break out" too.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't pretend to know how he grades out, but I will tell you what my eyes see and what is on the stat sheet. Irving makes plays, and a playmaker is always more valuable than a solid guy in my book. This is the reason why people hated Hayden so much, he never made a play, he was just solid, at best. Collins may not be as mediocre or below average as Hayden, but he is also not even close to being the impact player that Irving has proven himself to be in his handful of opportunities.

Jimmy and Belichick would let the best players play, then hold them accountable for their mistakes. Lesser coaches would rather play it safe with the safe but unspectacular player. I guess I have just abhorred the safe play, like prevent defense.

If you don't know how he grades out then you don't know why he's not playing more. I like eyeballs but you have to look at the film as well. Without it we are operating in the dark. There is a reason he's not getting more snaps likely reasons. Marinelli will play him more as he deserves it.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
yea im ruing over Amendola too. yes, lots of players were, the problem is, not everyone is going to be "elite" or :"legit" or whatever the talk shows have people saying like "difference maker" some people are just going to be "better than average" possiblly a jag"

There was a player we lost to KC a few years ago, not the "next best thing" for sure, but KC got more out of him than we did. That happens as well, some coaches can just coach up guys better, ie Rod, he does more with less most times.

Did we get a "great player" most likely not, but so far we got a player who does more with "less" so we just gotta take it for what it is. unless your still under the impression Dunbar is a legend, than, ill just shake my head.

Not every player we draft, or sign is goign to the pro bowl, i hate to break it to you. No easter bunny either. it happens. A few years ago, we let a good player named Ware go, maybe you heard of him, i dont know if you did. Poor Ware just wanted to attack the QB. Dallas had a better plan. Sadly that didnt end well for Dallas. You should have heard teh fans who said "ware cant get to the qb, he has nothing left, all the coaches on this board, but Ware was smart, if he wanted to win a ring, he had to leave and thats what he did. Its sad but its fact. Some players are better than we know, and some players suck and sometimes we get one to work that would suck else where.

You have gone full spazz right now. You're babbling is beyond incomprehensible just so you can protect your pathetic agenda. How anyone could hate on what Irving did against Green Bay and for the Cowboys is mind blowing.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
If you don't know how he grades out then you don't know why he's not playing more. I like eyeballs but you have to look at the film as well. Without it we are operating in the dark. There is a reason he's not getting more snaps likely reasons. Marinelli will play him more as he deserves it.

Read the articles Jobber, no one has said Collins or any other DL has graded better than Irving either. That is pure speculation and completely unsupported so please stop propagating that myth.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
That's not a point, that is just sheep speak. All this crap about not playing sound football is not substantiated anywhere but the fans that create things out of thin air to support a coaching decision.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/10/17/sullivan-signs-elite-team-irving’s-play-among-thoughts

So if we don't agree with you but think the coaches are acting appropriately we are indulging in sheep speak and making stuff up? Hmmmm. So you validate your own opinion while demonizing those who hold another opinion in a circular argument that serves your own agenda?

I like the player and think he could become a big contributor based on some of his plays. But there is obviously something holding him back. It makes zero sense for several coaches to not give him snaps if he's a budding star.

Of course you may not value their opinion anymore than you do ours.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Read the articles Jobber, no one has said Collins or any other DL has graded better than Irving either. That is pure speculation and completely unsupported so please stop propagating that myth.

See above. I'm not making up any facts. I said we don't know his grades so we 'don't know' why he's not getting more snaps.

/mod If you have a criticism about someone relate it to the post and not the person please.

/mod hat off

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
So if we don't agree with you but think the coaches are acting appropriately we are indulging in sheep speak and making stuff up? Hmmmm. So you validate your own opinion while demonizing those who hold another opinion in a circular argument that serves your own agenda?

I like the player and think he could become a big contributor based on some of his plays. But there is obviously something holding him back. It makes zero sense for several coaches to not give him snaps if he's a budding star.

Of course you may not value their opinion anymore than you do ours.

Nope, you got it wrong. I just don't buy the manufactured narrative in this thread that Irving does not play sound football. He is not completely healthy per Sullivan but go ahead and keep propagating the myth that coaches don't believe Irving deserves more snaps due to some inability to play disciplined.

And if anyone is being "demonized" it's Irving and his contributions. Crazy.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Nope, you got it wrong. I just don't buy the manufactured narrative in this thread that Irving does not play sound football. He is not completely healthy per Sullivan but go ahead and keep propagating the myth that coaches don't believe Irving deserves more snaps due to some inability to play disciplined.

And if anyone is being "demonized" it's Irving and his contributions. Crazy.

I didn't say he didn't play sound football. What part of 'we don't know why he's not playing more' do you not understand?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
There have been plenty of reasons to second guess the coaching staff for many years.

Right now, we are winning against all odds with salary cap dollars on the bench that would doom most teams. I'm not second guessing how they are utilizing anyone, especially guys who are being more effective than ever before. To my mind, that means they are being used perfectly.

If it ain't broke ...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What they are saying is as long as his only responsibility is to pass rush he is ok. Otherwise he makes too many mistakes in his assignments, coupled with the fact that he has been injured. No point overloading him if he can't handle the load.

That sums up things pretty well, imo. Marinelli knows what to do and how to handle it by now. I'll venture a guess he knows better than we do.

John813

Reaction score
How is Irving against the run? I can't recall how he looked against the run, but only remember seeing him out on obvious passing downs/scenarios.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Tyrone Crawford's big salary may be a ugly wart if he wasn't one of the top four linemen in snaps.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Don't forget the leverage penalty

Looked like JG was arguing heavily against that call during the game. Maybe they reviewed the tape and blamed him later, but during the game looked like JG had his back on that one.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
There is a lot of speculation going on so I'll add to it. I speculate he gets more snaps. Like a lot. That kind of production cannnot be ignored.