Make a good O better or a poor D average?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said, the FO will have to evaluate the roster post draft & address what is remaining. Whether they do that well, who knows but first step is getting the best talent available to you in the draft.
Who knows? Who doesn't know? They're inept at building a defense and have been for over 2 decades. If Parcells hadn't signed Glover, it would have been far worse.

When it comes to evaluating the defensive roster, they're failures at it. They like their guys for one reason, they're their guys.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Who knows? Who doesn't know? They're inept at building a defense and have been for over 2 decades. If Parcells hadn't signed Glover, it would have been far worse.

When it comes to evaluating the defensive roster, they're failures at it. They like their guys for one reason, they're their guys.
They? quinn and this staff just stepped into postion, lets let hat play out before its failure over past years..its in the past..leave it there look forward, stay in the present..

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Trouble with the OT trade *after* is our decreased leverage. Trouble with *before* is the risk.

Given all the other needs, I wouldn't just take "an" OT, I'd want a player that dropped. In the 1st round, it better be a projected pro bowl caliber LT. I think we have OT covered from starters to developmental players.

I'm with you on all the McGovern/Williams comments. They should let McGovern compete for LG/C, but largely with an eye to preparing him as our first interior backup off the bench. Maybe Looney gets first up at C, but at some point we move on from Looney as 1st up. And could be that McGovern beats out Biadasz at C. Going on last year, McGovern was just the more NFL ready player.

Hard to build a stable group when even the young guys were injured for parts of last year. CW was the lone guy playing all 16 games not even tank Martin. Just hope we have at least 1 tackle playing all 16 games this next year.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They? quinn and this staff just stepped into postion, lets let hat play out before its failure over past years..its in the past..leave it there look forward, stay in the present..
The more I stay in the present, the more it looks like the past.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They is not them, they is the Joneses and McClay and they still be they.

75boyz

Reaction score
I think drafting Sewell/Slater accomplishes both as to how the 2016 team won games.

Long time consuming TOP drives that keep a talent depleted defense off the field.

Unfortunately, the current version of the RB is not as good as in 2016 and the OC doesn't know how to utilize a running game.

I'm still taking the OT because the impact he provides gives the best chance to win games.

In my opinion, that is.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I don't think Pitts or Surtain will be there. I'd love a trade down, but unless a QB falls, who'd be there for a trade-down opportunity?

To answer your question though you have to go defense. That said, anyone you get is going to need time to gel with NFL speed and decision-making so by my accounts, the offense is going to have to shoulder the load earlier in the season until any defensive infusions gain their sea legs. We have a good offense but it hinges on how fast Dak can get back into his groove. There may be some frustrations until mid-season but we should reach the 10-win barometer. Just get into the dance and then anything can happen.

Why do you think Pitts won't be there? I bet he will. I think he will be just a wasted pick on our offense. We need defense badly. We are even worst off then we were last year on defense.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Why do you think Pitts won't be there? I bet he will. I think he will be just a wasted pick on our offense. We need defense badly. We are even worst off then we were last year on defense.

Anything is possible but people are saying he's a generational talent. No way he's there at 10.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I voted for D with this pick, but after watching Kyle Pitts' highlights I think if he's still there at ten we should pick him because he could very will be the next Travis Kelce, a true difference maker.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
average defense with very good O =playoffs

I see "average defense" tossed around here a lot like that's all that is needed.

The last 9 SB champs, as well as all 5 Cowboys SB champs, were top 10 in points allowed. That's not average.

Average defense might get you to the playoffs, but it'll also get you beat in the playoffs.

Hardline

Reaction score
Unfortunately for us this draft sucks for defense. There's not a stud DE,DT or LB in this draft.
There is no defender that will contribute more to winning games than Pitts,Chase or Sewell.
We have to take advantage of the strength of this draft.....offense.
There isn't a big talent drop off in 2nd round defensive players.

kskboys

Reaction score
Like I said, the FO will have to evaluate the roster post draft & address what is remaining. Whether they do that well, who knows but first step is getting the best talent available to you in the draft.
Yes, but you were saying we just take O players. You mentioned something not working. Well, just taking BPA no matter what has absolutely never worked in the NFL. That's reserved for teams who are already super bowl contenders.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Yes, but you were saying we just take O players. You mentioned something not working. Well, just taking BPA no matter what has absolutely never worked in the NFL. That's reserved for teams who are already super bowl contenders.

Not sure what comment you could be referring to. Maybe something is getting muddled. Below is my earlier comment which most clearly summarizes my view on drafting and particularly with your premium picks.

The FO job is to acquire the best talent & make it work. If the BPA is clearly an offensive player you have to take them and make the roster work out afterwards (or trade back). Reaching for need has a low success rate. In later rounds, where the grading is more muddled, you can adjust more to need but not in the first round.
Clearly we "need" defensive help but we can't pigeon hole ourselves.

As an analogy, I would add that the draft is like walking into Costco with gift cards with different amounts on them. You can choose anything they have in stock but you can only buy 1 item per gift card. So, with your most valuable gift cards it only makes sense to purchase the most valuable item you can whether you need it or not.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not sure what comment you could be referring to. Maybe something is getting muddled. Below is my earlier comment which most clearly summarizes my view on drafting and particularly with your premium picks.

The FO job is to acquire the best talent & make it work. If the BPA is clearly an offensive player you have to take them and make the roster work out afterwards (or trade back). Reaching for need has a low success rate. In later rounds, where the grading is more muddled, you can adjust more to need but not in the first round.
Clearly we "need" defensive help but we can't pigeon hole ourselves.

As an analogy, I would add that the draft is like walking into Costco with gift cards with different amounts on them. You can choose anything they have in stock but you can only buy 1 item per gift card. So, with your most valuable gift cards it only makes sense to purchase the most valuable item you can whether you need it or not.
Drafting BPA has a zero success rate

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
We're going offense. Sewell. you don't want your quarterback to have his ankle fall off, do you?