Malcolm Mitchell released by Pats

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
How are they a wide receiver needy team? They are a win now team with an aging QB, who made room for more healthy veterans. Like Eric Decker who they just signed. And why would you not want "the top outside WR" from a strong team?

There's a bunch of examples of Pats losing a player and him contributing for another team. Ive listed a few above, another being Revis. Every team cuts players that can be productive for other teams. The pats are no exception. Aqib Talib was way better once he left for Denver too. Kony Ealy just last season.

I would add Chris Long to that list. 2 SB in 2 seasons. Not bad.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Normally I side with people are insane and want anybody else that's not on the Cowboys roster. Change for the sake of change l. However if this guy is healthy I sign him up now. If not then pass. Pretty simple. Not much to even debate. If healthy he is better than TWill (not saying much). If not then obviously not worth the cap space.

If he was healthy he wouldn't have been cut. So that kind sums it all up right?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2 words: Jimmy Smith

I assume you are saying Mitchell may be the next Jimmy Smith - someone who gets released and goes on to a big career with another team? I suppose that's possible, but the concern is that Smith's health issues were all things that would heal over time, but persistent knee issues, like Mitchell apparently has, may be much harder to get past.

Swanny

Reaction score
If he was healthy he wouldn't have been cut. So that kind sums it all up right?
If he was cut because he wasnt healthy then yes it sums it up. But if he was cut because he wasn't healthy doesn't he have the right at an injury settlement? Honestly asking. Why do i see some guys get injury settlements and some dont?

joseephuss

Reaction score

cern

Reaction score
it has made room for the pats to acquire our former #1 wr.

Reactions: BAT

ItzKelz

Reaction score
If injured he's better than what we have but I'm doubting that's the case or out scouting department would have been all over him

bandfan

Reaction score
I assume you are saying Mitchell may be the next Jimmy Smith - someone who gets released and goes on to a big career with another team? I suppose that's possible, but the concern is that Smith's health issues were all things that would heal over time, but persistent knee issues, like Mitchell apparently has, may be much harder to get past.
Did anyone think Jimmy Smith was gonna be the next Jimmy Smith? Just sayin'

kskboys

Reaction score
I dont think the Giants will be happy with that contract very soon.

But instead of a Solder(who hasnt proven to be bad yet) it could be a Chandler Jones, Jimmy G, Jacoby Brissett, or BenJarvus Green-Ellis.

Pats have been pretty bad personnel decisions as of late.
They really have.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did anyone think Jimmy Smith was gonna be the next Jimmy Smith? Just sayin'

This doesn't really speak to my comment, which was about the difference in the kinds of injuries Smith had to start his carreer and those that Mitchell has had. A persistent knee problem that plagues a player for years is a different animal.

In any case, I didn't rule out the possibility he could be another Jimmy Smith type story, but we do have to be realistic about the fact that those stories are far from the norm.

kskboys

Reaction score
This doesn't really speak to my comment, which was about the difference in the kinds of injuries Smith had to start his carreer and those that Mitchell has had. A persistent knee problem that plagues a player for years is a different animal.

In any case, I didn't rule out the possibility he could be another Jimmy Smith type story, but we do have to be realistic about the fact that those stories are far from the norm.
There are a few noted exceptions of players who appeared injury prone and then found their health, Sean Lee, Columbo, but those are the exceptions and you'll waste a ton of resources chasing them.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are a few noted exceptions of players who appeared injury prone and then found their health, Sean Lee, Columbo, but those are the exceptions and you'll waste a ton of resources chasing them.

Yep. A team has to be careful about using roster spots betting on players like that. Obviously the more upside potential, the more willing a team is to gamble.