Malcom Brown on the Trade Block

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Bet he refuses to report anywhere without an extension.

He's worth a heck of a lot more than 5M a year.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
You are going to see a lot more of this as teams are figuring out how to get their caps in shape for the lower cap totals.

Yep, there are going to be some deals out there. I bet FA contracts are uncharacteristically muted this year.

Great year to spend if you have the space.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Pay Dak $40M/year with no money left or pay Dalton or Winston much, much less and be able to add 4 or 5 players like Malcom Brown?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I wonder is this a situation like how we got Robert Quinn...a team desperate and will take anything to get rid of his contract? Can I get greedy with a 6th rounder lol? I'm essentially getting him on a one year deal and he can leave right afterwards right?
I don't think a 6th is that far off. Teams know he's probably going to be released anyway.

I think the value in trading for him though is to make the trade for a late pick and then extending him. By doing that, you'd be able to get rid of most of his 2020 cap hit.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Bet he refuses to report anywhere without an extension.

He's worth a heck of a lot more than 5M a year.
NTs usually don't get paid in free agency. He only got that 3 yr 15 million deal going from Patriots to Saints. Patriots even declined his 5th year option.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I'm usually not in on trading draft picks for players for any reason but I'd be real tempted. This is one of the worst defensive line classes I've ever seen. Tyler Shelvin is probably the best 1T in the draft and he's a 360 pounder who hasn't played in a year and may have eaten his entire family by now. Brown would be front and center of this class with maybe Barmore being the only player that would go ahead of him. Plus Brown is a Brenham Texas native. Color me interested.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Based on the Saint Current Cap situation (-70m), I'd say they are not in the best position for trade leverage. Most teams realize that they are probably going to be forced to cut guys like this if they don't trade them so they are not going to get what they feel they are worth. i think they get mostly low ball offers.

Carson

Reaction score
Based on the Saint Current Cap situation (-70m), I'd say they are not in the best position for trade leverage. Most teams realize that they are probably going to be forced to cut guys like this if they don't trade them so they are not going to get what they feel they are worth. i think they get mostly low ball offers.

They will get low ball offers. They get the same cap relief by releasing him as trading him.

Loso86

Reaction score
/You know though.....what is a honest offer I'm kind of confused here lol.....he's not a elite DT.....but he's very good.....how much do I have to trade to get that type of player? 5th Rounder?
Yea highest is maybe a 4th or conditional 5th I would think

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Well he played out the first two years at $5 per.
GTD money in those first 2 years and to play for teams with title aspirations.
He's been on the Pats and Saints.
Strong defenses that win.
Now he'd walk in with zero GTD and play for 5.5M on a 1 year deal?
Seems unlikely to me.

DTs cost a lot and are rare finds.
Go get a SB and 3-4 year deal. 4 years 30M, 10 up front.
I'd be very interested however if he did wanna trade and play it out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
no conditional anything. r5 is perfectly fine by me.

make the deal for now and one of the comp picks this year.
we are loaded with picks.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
GTD money in those first 2 years and to play for teams with title aspirations.
He's been on the Pats and Saints.
Strong defenses that win.
Now he'd walk in with zero GTD and play for 5.5M on a 1 year deal?
Seems unlikely to me.

DTs cost a lot and are rare finds.
Go get a SB and 3-4 year deal. 4 years 30M, 10 up front.
I'd be very interested however if he did wanna trade and play it out.

Good points, but unless he's going to hold out or has a trade clause, he doesn't have much choice.

exciter

Reaction score
The whole team will be on the block outside of Thomas and Kamara. They want to resign Lattimore and Williams and are beyond screwed on the cap.

I make this move ASAP. Then draft another 1T to go behind him. We need that dominant player like Mebane in Quinn’s scheme.

Tank / Brown / Gallimore / Gregory
They’re letting Williams walk to be able to keep Lattimore and Ramstyck! Been talking about it ad naseum on Saints radio here in Louisiana for over a year!