Maliek Collins - Best DT in 2016 Draft?

robbieruff

Reaction score
We'll hell why is he not in the hall of fame yet
It's just a timing issue I think. Our starting DE's are garnering so much attention from hall voters that Collins is just struggling to get noticed. It's a numbers game and it's a crowded field this year. But a sure fire next ballot inductee. ;)

Plankton

Reaction score
I think Collins will flash much more next year being a year removed from his broken foot. He missed a lot of time in camp that would have assisted in his development. The best rookie DT I have seen this year is Jarran Reed. He has fit right in with the Seattle DL. Reed is a powerful dude.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has the most starts.
Code:
Games    Starts    Round    Pick    Player    Team
3    0    1    12    Sheldon Rankins      New Orleans Saints
10   2    1    27    Kenny Clark          Green Bay Packers
3    0    1    29    Robert Nkemdiche     Arizona Cardinals
5    0    1    30    Vernon Butler        Carolina Panthers
10   5    2    37    Chris Jones          Kansas City Chiefs
5    0    2    43    Austin Johnson       Tennessee Titans
11   1    2    46    A'Shawn Robinson     Detroit Lions
9    3    2    49    Jarran Reed          Seattle Seahawks
10   0    2    63    Adam Gotsis          Denver Broncos
11   9    3    67    Maliek Collins       Dallas Cowboys
The standard 3 year rule still applies.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The Cowboys had a first round grade on Collins, it wouldn't be surprising if he ends up as one of the better DTs of this draft.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm a Maliek Collins fan and I'm guessing I'm also one of the few that even knew about him before the draft. That said, Collins has been uneven as most rookies are. I think he's best suited as a rotational player on obvious passing downs because he's not a 3-down player right now. His forte is exploiting a gap and penetrating; he can't hold the POA and gets moved with ease as he was at Nebraska.

A nice complimentary piece to add to the future of this defense.
He has played the most snaps of any of the Cowboys DTs.

He draws the most double teams of the Cowboys DTs.

He also plays a lot of 1tech as well as 3tech.

Most people knew about him at draft time.

I had him as my #2 rated DT for the Cowboys.

Last edited:

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Not stopping the run.
Our biggest problem is that we have a SDE as our best RDE and a 3-tech as our best SDE. I don't think its a coincidence that those two are always a step late. Just losing 20 lbs in the off-season would help Crawford and DLaw if they start for us again next season.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Our biggest problem is that we have a SDE as our best RDE and a 3-tech as our best SDE. I don't think its a coincidence that those two are always a step late. Just losing 20 lbs in the off-season would help Crawford and DLaw if they start for us again next season.

I hope that isn't the case. If we do resign TMcClain I doubt he produces like he does now, so I'd like to see

RDE- Trade/Free Agent, Draft Pick, CTapper
3T- TCrawford, DIrving
1T- MCollins, CThorton
LDE- DLawrence, JCrawford

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
He's tailor made for this defense. Have to believe Rod had a lot to do with the pick.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He is a nice rotational player at the moment. His explosive 1st step alone gives you alot to work with. I will say by year 3 he is our full time starter at 3tech alongside David Irving at the 1tech

Irving is not a 1 tech, not at 6-7 285.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Irving is not a 1 tech, not at 6-7 285.
It's where he is currently playing and he is our most disruptive defensive lineman. Their was even a long article posted here during offseason showing Irving played best at 1tech opposed to DE or 3tech.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
He has been amazing and best one from the rookies, we been spoiled as fans this season and still find reasons to complain. We just can't find happiness we must always look for something to make us feel miserable.