Maliek Collins is a serious Problem

glimmerman

Reaction score
If he is supposed to do that then either a Lb or maybe a safety is supposed to fill it. Unless he is needing to do what Marinelli teaches, be disruptive but PLAY THE RUN ON THE WAY TO THE QB. He may just want sacks.

Teams could be using it as a tell that when he is in the game they could audible to the run.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think that's the scheme of the defensive line coach. There's always one guy bulrushes and does everything they can to get to the quarterback. Well everybody else makes up for run support. Not working is it

Exactly. The scheme was really only good when it had Warren Sapp. I am really looking (hoping/praying) forward to a whole new coaching staff.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Exactly. The scheme was really only good when it had Warren Sapp. I am really looking (hoping/praying) forward to a whole new coaching staff.
Yeah I hate to say it. It's not the players you're playing as individuals and that's on coaching. If we can't get this fixed season's over. Cuz you can't win like this

Swanny

Reaction score
Wish I was tech savvy so I could post the All22 coaches film clips. But I am not. I went back to watch and concentrate on the defensive line. One thing really stood out, Maliek Collins.

He is a huge liability vs the run. It’s very evident that at the snap of the ball he is selling out and disregarding everything in order to try and get to the QB. He isn’t staying square or maintaining any gap control. Most of the opposing teams long runs this season are right through Collins gap.

He is on a contract year and it looks like he doesn’t care about anything except sacks. Someone needs to sit down with this dude and chew into his ***. In hindsight I was actually surprised by how well Covington played. He is SOUND with his gap assignment and takes on double teams pretty well. For those of you that have All22 go and watch Collins and you’ll be shocked how bad he is.
I am assuming this is a scheme issue

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Rush lanes. Anybody continuously getting out of their rush lanes is a problem. Because it equates to a blown assignment.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I think Collins can absolutely play ball. You don't get 5 sacks your rookie year and aren't any good. I 100% think it's this garbage scheme.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
they average players on the line at best and that has hurt they need ot have better talent on the dl and now not sure the linebackers are near what we thought they really were but coaching is awful on defense like I have said in another threat this head coach and his staff sucks

kskboys

Reaction score
I think Collins can absolutely play ball. You don't get 5 sacks your rookie year and aren't any good. I 100% think it's this garbage scheme.
Karl Klug had 7 his rook year.

Brooks Reed had 6.

Pernell McFee had 6.

It's extremely common for a player to have a high number of sacks his rook year and then not turn out to be all that good.

What's next, another weak personal attack because you got owned again?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has maybe the worst balance I've seen from a pro DT. So easily taken off his feet.

And these idiots played him at the 1.

This defense is never going to improve until Marinelli is out of here. He has got to go. I'm amazed he's still here.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys don't value DTs as much a DEs and LBs and its showing in how they play defense. But honestly, if the LBs were playing better, this would not be as big of a problem. Lee used to fill those holes by anticipating the play and getting there before the blocker. Our two Superstar LBs are not. They did last year most of the time (see New Orleans game). For whatever reason this year, Smith and LVE are missing plays often. hard ot explain how player can regress like they have. Smith just got a contract too. Maybe they got too much attention and credit too soon and now they believe their own hype?

J-man

Reaction score
I can't blame Collins for this. He's doing what they tell him to do.

There seems to be a disconnect between the D-line and the LB's. Is this Rod coaching one group one way and Bloom/Richard the other? It just seems strange, like they seem to be playing two different schemes at the same time. DT's attacking, LB's dropping. Those wide pass rush sets on running downs is just flat out wrong. They all need to sit down and figure out what scheme their going to run. If someone's feelings get hurt so be it.

LVE probably played the worst game of his career Sunday. He missed so many tackles and blew several other containment assignments. Jaylon wasn't much better. They both have had their issues the last few games. I hope they get it figured out soon.

CB61

Reaction score
Wish I was tech savvy so I could post the All22 coaches film clips. But I am not. I went back to watch and concentrate on the defensive line. One thing really stood out, Maliek Collins.

He is a huge liability vs the run. It’s very evident that at the snap of the ball he is selling out and disregarding everything in order to try and get to the QB. He isn’t staying square or maintaining any gap control. Most of the opposing teams long runs this season are right through Collins gap.

He is on a contract year and it looks like he doesn’t care about anything except sacks. Someone needs to sit down with this dude and chew into his ***. In hindsight I was actually surprised by how well Covington played. He is SOUND with his gap assignment and takes on double teams pretty well. For those of you that have All22 go and watch Collins and you’ll be shocked how bad he is.
You could start with him and Go Right Down the Line with all of them need a good butt chewin

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I can't blame Collins for this. He's doing what they tell him to do.

There seems to be a disconnect between the D-line and the LB's. Is this Rod coaching one group one way and Bloom/Richard the other? It just seems strange, like they seem to be playing two different schemes at the same time. DT's attacking, LB's dropping. Those wide pass rush sets on running downs is just flat out wrong. They all need to sit down and figure out what scheme their going to run. If someone's feelings get hurt so be it.

LVE probably played the worst game of his career Sunday. He missed so many tackles and blew several other containment assignments. Jaylon wasn't much better. They both have had their issues the last few games. I hope they get it figured out soon.

Agree.

The command structure is wacked.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Problem is most of Marinelli's defense is calling for M.Collins to get vertical and disruptive etc. Good OC's and O-lines are exploiting Marinelli's run defense like never before since Colts/Rams last year
So what your are saying is Collins is now David Irving