Maliek Collins signs with the Raiders

stiletto

Reaction score
Im not really sad to see any of the DLine to go. It needs totally revamped. I am sure they sign some new guys as well as use the draft to rebuild it. The defense is going to get an overhaul now that Marinelli is out of the way.

snapper

Reaction score

tenor.gif

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
How'd the team do last year?

Oh that's right, a flawed team with a mediocre coach missed the playoffs again for like the 7th time in 10 years.

But yeah, good point, how we approach FA is pretty spot on.

Well let’s see they just signed a UFA WR to a record deal and will be signing a UFA QB to a record deal... they locked up their entire offensive line... they have a top 3 running back signed long term...

They signed Lael Collins LAST YEAR and avoided paying a massive amount more in this years market.

It sounds like you have more issues with the coaching? Which would be fair, I don’t think anyone here will defend Garrett or the decision to keep him for so long.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Keep washing the Garrett stench off the team little by little. Guess what. There is no game this weekend so the DL right now is not what it will be week 1.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
:laugh: Dallas is the new Green Bay while the Raiders are the new Cowboys. Marinelli is going to be tickled seeing w/Witty & Collins.

Valkyr

Reaction score
Well let’s see they just signed a UFA WR to a record deal and will be signing a UFA QB to a record deal... they locked up their entire offensive line... they have a top 3 running back signed long term...

They signed Lael Collins LAST YEAR and avoided paying a massive amount more in this years market.

It sounds like you have more issues with the coaching? Which would be fair, I don’t think anyone here will defend Garrett or the decision to keep him for so long.

~uncomfortable silence~

slick325

Reaction score
M. Collins went where he knew a member of the defensive staff was in his corner. Marinelli probably recruited him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Collins is the fourth player we’ve lost on defense.

SSoup

Reaction score
....and just like that Dallas has lost their #1CB, their #1 sack DE, their #1 DT, their #1 TE, and their #3 WR......so far.

So, based on 2019 stats Dallas just lost these stats from the above players:

DEFENSE

100 Tackles 15.5 Sacks 9 PDef's 3 Forced Fumbles

OFFENSE

118 Catches 1,357 Yards 7 TD's

Tell me again all those that said the top priority was signing Dak and Cooper how Dallas will stop anyone in 2020?????
I mean, losing Witten is addition by subtraction since his backup last year was better and Witten did so little with the 83 targets we gave him. Witten's presence hurt us 2019. Upgrading from him to someone who isn't an empty husk of a player anymore actually partially helps pick up the slack for the loss of Cobb, meaning that we have more cushion in what the replacement #3 needs to do.

Quinn's 10.5 sacks is the only stat we lose that is hard to replace.

The last time Randy Gregory played something approaching a full season, he gave us 6 sacks. So, if that's the level of player who replaces him, it means we need to make up 4.5 sacks somewhere else. It's important to make up that gap in production, so I'm not downplaying it. I'm just saying it's not the impossible task we sometimes make it out to be. Last year, Quinn and Lawrence combined for 15.5 sacks. If Lawrence rebounds and goes back to being a 10-sack guy, we're already over halfway there.

Calling Collins the #1 DT is cute, but that label doesn't change that losing his 4 sacks and his heft does not constitute an un-climbable mountain.

Byron's good in coverage but even he didn't have a knack for producing stats that can't be matched. And, no, I'm not talking about interceptions. In 2019, Byron allowed a passer rating of 87.7. Awuzie allowed a passer rating of 89.1, which is in the same ballpark. Jourdan Lewis allowed a passer rating of 86.8, so passers did worse for themselves throwing at him than they did throwing at Byron. Lewis matched Byron's 6 passes defended on the same number of targets. Awuzie had a ton more passes defended but he also got thrown at way more, so that's expected. Byron gave up 3 touchdowns in 2019. Lewis gave up fewer. Awuzie, despite being targeted way more, gave up the same number as Byron.

Does this mean Awuzie or Lewis steps up and becomes an equal replacement as the #1 guy? No, but we have no idea. We also have no idea how Byron would've looked in a new defense, bearing in mind his rise at CB coincided with Kris Richard. It's entirely possible the coaching staff shakeup would've reduced Byron back to being a guy who didn't look like a starting corner, in which case even if we brought back Byron, we weren't gonna be bringing back the 2018 version of him that was him at the peak of what he could potentially be.

Honestly, if Demarcus Lawrence rebounds like he ought to (surely he's better than the 5-sack season he gave us last year) and if the special teams gets competent, those two factors alone make us a better team than we were in 2019. If we have a good draft, all the better. If we get lucky and sniff out a bargain or two like we did with Cobb and Quinn, great.

I don't think the season is doomed based on any of the losses or decisions so far.

And if I'm being honest, I'm more worried about the coaching transition than the roster transitions at this point. If we're looking at an offseason where our new staff can't really install their systems in the spring because they don't end up getting to get their hands on the players until late in the summer? That's a rough set of circumstances for a team with a brand new staff. I'm much more worried about that than losing the Wittens and the Malieks of the world.

Sydla

Reaction score

Ham and egged the DT and S spots again, this after watching their defense fall apart against the Rams in the playoffs again.

And locking up their RB last year could be viewed as a mistake given the amount of resources tied up in a TB in a league that sees teams win at a high level without spending nearly as much on RBs.