Maliek Collins signs with the Raiders

Sydla

Reaction score
I mean, losing Witten is addition by subtraction since his backup last year was better and Witten did so little with the 83 targets we gave him. Witten's presence hurt us 2019. Upgrading from him to someone who isn't an empty husk of a player anymore actually partially helps pick up the slack for the loss of Cobb, meaning that we have more cushion in what the replacement #3 needs to do.

Quinn's 10.5 sacks is the only stat we lose that is hard to replace.

The last time Randy Gregory played something approaching a full season, he gave us 6 sacks. So, if that's the level of player who replaces him, it means we need to make up 4.5 sacks somewhere else. It's important to make up that gap in production, so I'm not downplaying it. I'm just saying it's not the impossible task we sometimes make it out to be. Last year, Quinn and Lawrence combined for 15.5 sacks. If Lawrence rebounds and goes back to being a 10-sack guy, we're already over halfway there.

Calling Collins the #1 DT is cute, but that label doesn't change that losing his 4 sacks and his heft does not constitute an un-climbable mountain.

Byron's good in coverage but even he didn't have a knack for producing stats that can't be matched. And, no, I'm not talking about interceptions. In 2019, Byron allowed a passer rating of 87.7. Awuzie allowed a passer rating of 89.1, which is in the same ballpark. Jourdan Lewis allowed a passer rating of 86.8, so passers did worse for themselves throwing at him than they did throwing at Byron. Lewis matched Byron's 6 passes defended on the same number of targets. Awuzie had a ton more passes defended but he also got thrown at way more, so that's expected. Byron gave up 3 touchdowns in 2019. Lewis gave up fewer. Awuzie, despite being targeted way more, gave up the same number as Byron.

Does this mean Awuzie or Lewis steps up and becomes an equal replacement as the #1 guy? No, but we have no idea. We also have no idea how Byron would've looked in a new defense, bearing in mind his rise at CB coincided with Kris Richard. It's entirely possible the coaching staff shakeup would've reduced Byron back to being a guy who didn't look like a starting corner, in which case even if we brought back Byron, we weren't gonna be bringing back the 2018 version of him that was him at the peak of what he could potentially be.

Honestly, if Demarcus Lawrence rebounds like he ought to (surely he's better than the 5-sack season he gave us last year) and if the special teams gets competent, those two factors alone make us a better team than we were in 2019. If we have a good draft, all the better. If we get lucky and sniff out a bargain or two like we did with Cobb and Quinn, great.

I don't think the season is doomed based on any of the losses or decisions so far.

And if I'm being honest, I'm more worried about the coaching transition than the roster transitions at this point. If we're looking at an offseason where our new staff can't really install their systems in the spring because they don't end up getting to get their hands on the players until late in the summer? That's a rough set of circumstances for a team with a brand new staff. I'm much more worried about that than losing the Wittens and the Malieks of the world.

This reads like a Jones wet fantasy.

Here is the reality. After the movement thus far, this team is worse than the one that ended the season. That's just reality. And that was an 8-8 team that while having questionable coaching had some talent issues in terms of holes as well.

They simply can't think they can shop for cheap FAs now and then use the draft to plug talent holes and think they will be improved. Well, take that back, they can think that and probably will but we have evidence to suggest their cheapness in FA usually doesn't pay off.

I mean look at last year. They went cheap at DT when they knew they needed to upgrade DT. That forced them into a situation where they basically took a flier on a DT with their best pick in the draft, and not surprisingly, a reach pick on a rookie DT didn't pan out.

SSoup

Reaction score
This reads like a Jones wet fantasy.

Here is the reality. After the movement thus far, this team is worse than the one that ended the season. That's just reality. And that was an 8-8 team that while having questionable coaching had some talent issues in terms of holes as well.

They simply can't think they can shop for cheap FAs now and then use the draft to plug talent holes and think they will be improved. Well, take that back, they can think that and probably will but we have evidence to suggest their cheapness in FA usually doesn't pay off.

I mean look at last year. They went cheap at DT when they knew they needed to upgrade DT. That forced them into a situation where they basically took a flier on a DT with their best pick in the draft, and not surprisingly, a reach pick on a rookie DT didn't pan out.
If you have a plan to Donald Sterling the Joneses so they're forced to sell the team to competent owners who will hire a G.M., I'm all ears.

Because as long as we have a front office who, when they do venture out into major big-ticket free agency, it's to throw stupid money around trying to sign the Sammy Watkinses of the world, I'm arguing that being more cautious in free agency is the least bad option. I'm so much happier that we drafted Gallup that spring instead of signing Watkins and thinking we were set when it turned out he was gonna go on to be a worse producer for $16M per year.

There's a reason people are upset about us losing good players we drafted. Because it's within the realm of possibility that we can draft good players worth missing in the first place. That reality is what makes me think our best hope is to draft and develop.

So, as long as that's the case, I'm fine with us hoping to luck into some lucky bargains and having a good draft. It's literally our only path forward. Until you figure out how to bump off the Joneses.

stiletto

Reaction score
I need to write a personal thank you letter to the Raiders.

Heath, Collins, Witten?

See ya!!!!

LOL, been all over saying the same thing today. It's the best quarantined St. Patty's day ever. hahah

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
LOL, been all over saying the same thing today. It's the best quarantined St. Patty's day ever. hahah

Garrett and Heath gone on one offseason? This is like a dream for me.

Pretty much the ONLY move the Cowboys made that I wouldn't have lately is the resigning of Zeke two years early.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean, losing Witten is addition by subtraction since his backup last year was better and Witten did so little with the 83 targets we gave him. Witten's presence hurt us 2019. Upgrading from him to someone who isn't an empty husk of a player anymore actually partially helps pick up the slack for the loss of Cobb, meaning that we have more cushion in what the replacement #3 needs to do.

Quinn's 10.5 sacks is the only stat we lose that is hard to replace.

The last time Randy Gregory played something approaching a full season, he gave us 6 sacks. So, if that's the level of player who replaces him, it means we need to make up 4.5 sacks somewhere else. It's important to make up that gap in production, so I'm not downplaying it. I'm just saying it's not the impossible task we sometimes make it out to be. Last year, Quinn and Lawrence combined for 15.5 sacks. If Lawrence rebounds and goes back to being a 10-sack guy, we're already over halfway there.

Calling Collins the #1 DT is cute, but that label doesn't change that losing his 4 sacks and his heft does not constitute an un-climbable mountain.

Byron's good in coverage but even he didn't have a knack for producing stats that can't be matched. And, no, I'm not talking about interceptions. In 2019, Byron allowed a passer rating of 87.7. Awuzie allowed a passer rating of 89.1, which is in the same ballpark. Jourdan Lewis allowed a passer rating of 86.8, so passers did worse for themselves throwing at him than they did throwing at Byron. Lewis matched Byron's 6 passes defended on the same number of targets. Awuzie had a ton more passes defended but he also got thrown at way more, so that's expected. Byron gave up 3 touchdowns in 2019. Lewis gave up fewer. Awuzie, despite being targeted way more, gave up the same number as Byron.

Does this mean Awuzie or Lewis steps up and becomes an equal replacement as the #1 guy? No, but we have no idea. We also have no idea how Byron would've looked in a new defense, bearing in mind his rise at CB coincided with Kris Richard. It's entirely possible the coaching staff shakeup would've reduced Byron back to being a guy who didn't look like a starting corner, in which case even if we brought back Byron, we weren't gonna be bringing back the 2018 version of him that was him at the peak of what he could potentially be.

Honestly, if Demarcus Lawrence rebounds like he ought to (surely he's better than the 5-sack season he gave us last year) and if the special teams gets competent, those two factors alone make us a better team than we were in 2019. If we have a good draft, all the better. If we get lucky and sniff out a bargain or two like we did with Cobb and Quinn, great.

I don't think the season is doomed based on any of the losses or decisions so far.

And if I'm being honest, I'm more worried about the coaching transition than the roster transitions at this point. If we're looking at an offseason where our new staff can't really install their systems in the spring because they don't end up getting to get their hands on the players until late in the summer? That's a rough set of circumstances for a team with a brand new staff. I'm much more worried about that than losing the Wittens and the Malieks of the world.

Great even-handed analysis.

stiletto

Reaction score
Garrett and Heath gone on one offseason? This is like a dream for me.

Pretty much the ONLY move the Cowboys made that I wouldn't have lately is the resigning of Zeke two years early.

Yeah, blowing money on a RB in today's NFL is like buying a two-seat sports car when you have a family of 6....makes little sense unless you just have extra money to blow for no reason. Rich people problem. With the salary cap, that's just impossible.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah, blowing money on a RB in today's NFL is like buying a two-seat sports car when you have a family of 6....makes little sense unless you just have extra money to blow for no reason. Rich people problem. With the salary cap, that's just impossible.

I mean...…...we could probably afford it, but would you rather have Zeke or Clowney on the other side of Lawrence?

blueblood70

Reaction score
In reality, Jerry thinks we're good. Guarantee it.

Armstrong, Lawrence, Crawford, Jackson, Jelks, Woods
he has MM and Nolan that will remind him we are not set.. trust me they have input..this could be them letting these guys walk and have a plan for replacements..this isnt Garett and RM making choices or influencing picks now..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So when we play the raiders we can just run it straight ahead for 220 yards and use a grandma to cover their TE

The problem will be that Zeke wont be able to juke even the horrid Heath if he is the last line of defense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
he has MM and Nolan that will remind him we are not set.. trust me they have input..this could be them letting these guys walk and have a plan for replacements..this isnt Garett and RM making choices or influencing picks now..

Its amazing how quickly these new coaches pick out who sucks and who doesn't. LOL

Garrett? We like our guys!!!! Loser

Sydla

Reaction score
Plenty of FA along the DL. I'm not worried yet.

Really? List for us the really good DEs in free agency outside of Clowney, who we won't touch. What about DT? A few of the better ones are already off the board.

Every year after the good players are snapped up people claim there are still good names out there when, in fact, there really aren't.

stiletto

Reaction score
Really? List for us the really good DEs in free agency outside of Clowney, who we won't touch. What about DT? A few of the better ones are already off the board.

Every year after the good players are snapped up people claim there are still good names out there when, in fact, there really aren't.

ANOTHER TP hoarder.... it's early. Let's see who they bring in..

Sydla

Reaction score

My excitement for MM and a new defensive staff will be knee capped if they actually think we are fine at DE, for example.

Sydla

Reaction score
ANOTHER TP hoarder.... it's early. Let's see who they bring in..

I remember this same post from last year when talking DT.

And what we got was Covington, who was ehhh, and we reached for a DT who may never really amount to anything.

Some of us learn. Some of us don't, I guess.