Man, The Time Flies

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
28 years ago today, Roger Staubach announced his retirement. I was a skinny sophomore in HS who still dreamed I was him in my back yard like the song says.

Captain America, you're still the best IMO.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hostile;2020541 said:
28 years ago today, Roger Staubach announced his retirement. I was a skinny sophomore in HS who still dreamed I was him in my back yard like the song says.

Youre old. :D

The Rawhide Kid

Gunslinger
Reaction score
Hostile;2020541 said:

Then quit voting for Montana, Hos.;)

TonyTone

Reaction score
Hostile;2020541 said:

Wow! I am getting old. I was 10 at the time. If I am not mistaken or misremembered that Roger did not cry like Brett Favreeee.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
TonyTone;2020565 said:
Wow! I am getting old. I was 10 at the time. If I am not mistaken or misremembered that Roger did not cry like Brett Favreeee.

I think he did. The great one's cry. Troy cried, which made me cry, ha.

TonyTone

Reaction score
cowboyeric8;2020567 said:
I think he did. The great one's cry. Troy cried, which made me cry, ha.

Lets see the tape! Well maybe I did not see him cry because I did shed a tear or two.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
TonyTone;2020565 said:
He didn't cry like Favreeeee but he did tear up when he talked about the man in the funny hat. Pure class is what Roger has always been.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Hostile;2020541 said:

You AND Brett Favre ;)

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Hostile;2020541 said:

I remember it so well. I couldn't believe he would retire when he still was playing on such a high level. Of course, I was young so I didn't know what it felt like to grow old, like I do now. :)

I wish he could have gone out with a SB win.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Hostile;2020541 said:

Tell us more, grandpa!

:D ;)

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
I still have the newspaper article from that day. I will never forget coming home from school and my mom handing me that article. For a 10 year old boy, that was devastating.

I wonder how many people are Cowboys fans today because of Roger. He set the bar high.

rathalarge

Reaction score
I had just become a Cowboys' fan 2 years earlier, and I remember thinking how strange it was that the Cowboys didn't make it to the Super Bowl earlier that year in January. They lost to the Rams, and the Steelers won their 2nd consecutive title in Super Bowl 14. I think I'm correct. Fellow 'old timers', correct me if I'm wrong.

Reaction score
Hostile;2020541 said:

i was 20, i think.

i was at his last tame vs the Rams. he completed his last pass to guard herb scott for an illegal touching penalty.

the dodger could have played a couple more years at a high level. it was very sad.

yes, he did cry...

Tobal

Reaction score
cowboyeric8;2020560 said:
"Oh it was nineteen somethin"

Ouch that hurts, I remember the frist time I heard "80's music"