Manning put up numbers in 2005; some still questioning the position

superpunk

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Sorry you were not saying that yesterday, changing the tune? I said nothing about becoming a great QB in a single season I said he will be much improved and I stand by that and more than willing to see how it plays out this upcoming season.

Actually - I did in fact, say that yesterday.

I also took issue with people having blind faith that Manning's going to take some giant leap, simply because time has passed, when he showed no signs of steady improvement late last season.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Unlike some here who claim to see Boys homerism everywhere, I prefer to be skeptical. If a player has never played at a certain level before, then it is valid to say that they never will. Untill they do, they haven't. I have watched football for a long time, and I frankly just do not thing that Manning will get much more accurate then he is now. QB's virtually NEVER are more accurate in the pros then they are in College- not saying it cannot happen, just that it hardly ever has. Manning did not have a high percentage completion in college, and so far he has not shown it in the pros. I see no reason it will substantially improve. He was always a gunlinger and risk taker in college, I see no signs that it is improving. I think he will get better- but I say here and now he will never be as good as his brother, not even close.

Three things here.

1. Pro QBs do often become more accurate once they enter the Pro's then they do in College. The theory here is that if there good enough to stick around long enough, they improve and accuracy is one of those areas of improvement. Your mechanics get right, you understand the offense and the personel. The speed of the game becomes managable.

2. If you buy into the theory that a player will never become great because they have not shown greatness early on, then you must also apply this to players other then Manning. Would you then say that Ware will not be any better or great because he has not shown the ability to stop the run consistantly or use anything other then one pass rush move? This would not be my conclusion on Ware, just as I could not apply it to Manning for all the same reasons.

3. Eli is not his brother, I agree. Having said that, they may not be such a bad thing. Our organization believes that you can win with decent QB play and strong overall talent. Payton is exceptional. We don't buy into exceptional from a team perspective. Eli can become very good and still win championships. He doesn't have to be Peyton. He just has to be the best Eli he can be and that could easily be good enough if the team is right.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd said:
Unlike some here who claim to see Boys homerism everywhere.

The first step to recovery is just admitting you have a problem. ;)

If you want I'll be your support person-- OK?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
The first step to recovery is just admitting you have a problem. ;)

If you want I'll be your support person-- OK?

Hey Michael,

How you been?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY said:
Hey Michael,

How you been?

Not bad sir!

The child is going off to Iraq in August which isn't good... But business is good which is.

And you?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Not bad sir!

The child is going off to Iraq in August which isn't good... But business is good which is.

And you?

I am sorry to hear that Michael. She's with a good unit. Every reason for optimisum.

Lots of work for me too right now so I agree. It's a good thing. Not posting enough these days but seems like there's never time.

Do me the favor of wishing yours the very best of luck. Ask her to send a note to the board every once and again and we can send our good wishes accordingly.

31smackdown

Reaction score
I think Manning just went through some growing pains last year. Early in the season he had the connection with Burress working, then teams took that away and started to adjust to what he likes to do.

I remember thinking in our second game against the Giants that we had their passing game completely shut down for the first 3 quarters.. Manning just had no where to go with it comfortably.

Tiki really helps him out with his ability to both run and catch the short pass.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
31smackdown said:
I think Manning just went through some growing pains last year. Early in the season he had the connection with Burress working, then teams took that away and started to adjust to what he likes to do.

I remember thinking in our second game against the Giants that we had their passing game completely shut down for the first 3 quarters.. Manning just had no where to go with it comfortably.

Tiki really helps him out with his ability to both run and catch the short pass.

It is a double-edged sword with Eli Manning.

He gets too much credit because he is a Manning.

He gets too much grief because he is a Manning.

If he were any other young QB, no one would really care.

I will say this however, I don't fear him. And he has to mature before I put him anywhere near the elite QBs in this league. It helps when you can complete more than half of your passes on a consistent basis.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Eli's biggest problem is that he throws off his back-foot far too often, causing his balls to sail, can't get good accuracy throwing a limp duck, and esp. when you're trying to force the ball, that leads to INTs and drops

he fixes his mechanics, and he's going to be a force