Many cooks in the kitchen, without a chef!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good stuff -- that central leader you mentioned early-on, imho, is none other than Jerry Jones! As an owner, he's a super salesman but as a qualified GM, he's far less! The vast majority of Cowboys fans are in agreement on that. He allowed Garrett to linger on for a decade, despite his lame handling as their HC. He allowed Rod Marinelli to keep insisting upon hiring lightweight DTs, despite their inability to contain the run. Once Will McClay entered the picture, things improved in the draft but not so much on gameday. Now it's Mike McCarthy and a new staff to do all they can to renew the glory days for Dallas.

With the oncoming of a new day now, the Cowboys have finally rid themselves of JG's archaic schemes. Enter Mike McCarthy, who had been a castoff of the Packers but one who is generally considered an improvement over the former HC. It may take a while for the new regime to get their "legs under them" but surely, time will tell the tale with them. Most fans, like myself, are hopeful of better days to come. Yet, we've yet to discover how all of this unfolds. ;)

Unlike other HC's MM was allowed to overhaul his entire coaching staff. Do believe the two holdovers, were his decision. This is progress and perhaps this is more of a sign that his son Stephen is now in charge.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Right idea, wrong cliche.

Pure and complete dysfunction from the top down is the actual answer.

Garrett was supposed to be the guy to keep the football part of things in a certain direction, but the fact that he didnt have a clue how to do that coupled with Jerry's undermining made it a disaster.

Throw stubbornness on top and there goes a decade.

We are all hoping beyond hope that MM is the guy to fix this, but I dont at all trust Jerry to not stick his face in.

He cant help himself and still swears that more of him is a good thing.

The only chance we have is if a culture is created where the players see the HC as in charge.

Jerry hasn't a clue that things like speaking to the team before the HC does after game or at the half makes the players completely lose respect for the HC and makes the job that much more difficult.

I'm excited about the team, but I cant help but think Jerry is going to ruin a good thing.

I guess it's all about ego and getting the credit, but the likes of Jerry Jones and Al Davis loved to hire unproven, young coaches. A proven, experienced HC will get a franchise right on track, there will be no growing pains learning on the job.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
i have no problems with having the more respectable offensive minds that's already on my staff in the
kitchen - giving the HC and OC " suggestions " and fresh ideas, designs and input. It is then up to the HC and OC to make evaluations and choice decisions to what suggestions and idea options to input into the game day scheme.

- heck, it was the input of respectable minds on the staff that finally got Prescott going strong in the last 3 games of the season in 2018 -that including getting ball out of throwing hand in pocket, scrambling, not taking sacks, quicker read progressions, etc.

- Not taking in suggestions and fresher ideas, that was supposedly one of the failings of ex-OC Scott Linehan. he was not open to suggestions, until dire situations pushed him to try in a limited capacity.
Who knows - It probably became an ego thing -
He probably could have been so set in his own ways and thinking that made him content to stay in his comfort mode, leading that much more into bland, predictable repeated plays and designs - and we know the final ending to Linehan's demise.

- With Garrett, maybe just me, but i don't and never really regarded him as a well regarded offensive mind.
All he seems to know is 90's Cowboys offense: rhythm time based and smash ground game.
in terms of route scheme-design, making adjusting in game, adapting to new age era of offense, i thought
he was always out of synch, out-dated and depended so greatly upon his OC's to deliver than he himself
making his presence and supposed expertise felt. He clearly banked upon whatever Linehan, Kellen could
come up with.

:confused:

-The offense scheme was certainly outdated, where almost all teams around the league have adopted modern schemes. The same could of been said about Marinelli and his defense.

-It's ok to have ideas about the game plan, but there must be a central figure to be in charge making the decisions. We all believe Moore wasn't given that full responsibility, especially fighting to keep his job.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I guess it's all about ego and getting the credit, but the likes of Jerry Jones and Al Davis loved to hire unproven, young coaches. A proven, experienced HC will get a franchise right on track, there will be no growing pains learning on the job.

Agreed -- at least for McCarthy's part, he knows what's what and the assistant coaches are all experienced. The rookies, as always, will be subject to growing pains, since the pro game is so much faster and more complicated. The veteran players will adjust to a far quicker extent, of course. Hopefully, the rookies might be able to settle in quickly enough, if they're smart enough. I'm a bit concerned about the first few games in the secondary where the most personnel changes are likely to occur.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That should have been an injury default as DT Sheriff Floyd never had the chance to prove whether
or not would have had an impact in the NFL.

Ironic how both draftees Fredrick and Sheriff in consideration for Cowboys in that draft class year, were forced to retire because of injuries and medical issues.

Forget about their careers. Floyd had to be the selection. He was rated as a top 10 prospect and was entering the league at the age of 20.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agreed -- at least for McCarthy's part, he knows what's what. The rookies, as always, will be subject to growing pains, since the pro game is so much faster and more complicated. The veteran players will adjust to a far lesser extent, of course. I'm expecting a period of adjustment for the young rookies. Hopefully, they'll be able to settle in quickly enough, if they're smart enough.

This year it's going to be far more difficult for the rookies in general cause of no on the field ota's. Rookies are expected to have learning curves, especially ones drafted later on. You can't hire a HC to function the same, it's a win now business, if they take time to develop, they won't be successful.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This year it's going to be far more difficult for the rookies in general cause of no on the field ota's. Rookies are expected to have learning curves, especially ones drafted later on. You can't hire a HC to function the same, it's a win now business, if they take time to develop, they won't be successful.

They all take time to develop or they wouldn't be rookies. That's routinely their nature. Normally it takes a few games, even for the smart ones to adjust. Some will be starters and some won't. Ending up on the practice squad certainly isn't unusual for many, until they settle in. CeeDee is one who's almost a lock to start day one. I'm not so sure about the rookies who will be destined for the secondary. We'll see about them in due time. You're right about the rookies and the lack of OTA's being a handicap, without a doubt. I'll be very anxious to see how Trevon Diggs makes out. ;)

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

That's true, unless you happen to be named Jason Garrett. He had a decade of on-the-job training before he got canned. (Jerry loved him.) :rolleyes:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
That should have been an injury default as DT Sheriff Floyd never had the chance to prove whether
or not would have had an impact in the NFL.

Ironic how both draftees Fredrick and Sheriff in consideration for Cowboys in that draft class year, were forced to retire because of injuries and medical issues.
He played 44 games, he wasn't as good as the scouts thought. Certainly not a top pass rusher.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jerry always talked about letting him "learn on the job."

I really dont think things like clock management are that difficult, but ok.

After a few years and blown games. Ice kick and at Balt in 12 come to mind without thinking at all.....Jerry would say thing like.....we went through the pains of him learning as a HC, we may as well stay with him.

Really??? How many FANS are better at clock management? You don't need to LEARN that.

It was always just hope that made us hang on.

Jerry better get this hire right is all I know.

quickccc

Reaction score
-The offense scheme was certainly outdated, where almost all teams around the league have adopted modern schemes. The same could of been said about Marinelli and his defense.

-It's ok to have ideas about the game plan, but there must be a central figure to be in charge making the decisions. We all believe Moore wasn't given that full responsibility, especially fighting to keep his job.

The HC should always be the central head figure, but again it depends upon the quality of that central figure.
Some HC's are just not quality HC's and that ends up bringing up issues that should be well under their control
and ends up bringing on their eventual demise and departure.
While the more quality ones seem to find ways to keep their teams fighting and scraping into post-season play,even if they end up losing asst coaches to new team HC hires. ala Belicheck, Tomlison,Reid, etc.)

- As far as Moore/Garrett- hat could be purely speculation as to Garrett's interference on Kellen ..or was it times where Kellen made obvious rookie novice inexperience mistakes as an OC in just his first year in that role.

- Whatever rookie OC mistakes Kellen could have and did make while under Garretts' wing, could have
been avoided and made better .. if not for Garrett's own flaws as a game manager and inability to make adjustments on the run and in-game. I saw one stat that if Garrett's team is not leading by a certain margin at halftime, they seldom made comeback adjustments to eventually win the game.

- Frankly i hope McCarthy does not give Kellen full control and responsibility of the offense early on, especially
until it becomes clear how and what Kellen understands what MM expects and gains full
and complete confidence.

- It's not like Kellen has been under MM's wing, so the two will have to come to adapting and
adjusting to each other and that could take some time adjustment period.
There could already be some instances where same " terminology" (as the word term as been thrown
around so frequently without explanatory details) - such as both believing in strong pre-snap motion, multiple pre-snap looks and formations, quick huddle to no huddle pace,
as well preferring similar personnel packages such as:
11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE's, 3 WRs) ..
20 personnel (2 RBs, 0 tight ends, 3 WRs )
10 Personnel (1 RB, 0 TEs, 4 WRs)

But it's gonna be some things that one is gonna prefer more than the other, imo.
i.e. Moore may want more more RPO's formations,in shotgun formations.. while MM may prefer QB
more under center.
It's up to that central figure to how much and if he wants to be open to and implement such suggestions-ideals his from his kitchen help,..imo.

quickccc

Reaction score
He played 44 games, he wasn't as good as the scouts thought. Certainly not a top pass rusher.

how many of those games was he still being hampered with the knee injury ?
how many games did he have to leave or be subbed because of the injury?
And how can he develop as best he could have been if he couldn't stay healthy ?
what started out as menicus knee injury ended up being greatly more aggravated at it's worst
was the reported surgery treatment Floyd received from Viking's medical staff
- to the point to where it eventually became a legal civil suit.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/07/m...-180-million-lawsuit-against-dr-james-andrews

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The whole Cowboy Organization has lacked a central leader in many areas within the team:

-We have heard that picking the draft picks was a team effort, where Jerry was the tie-breaker if it came to that point. As we have seen, the front office/coaching staff & the scouts haven't been on the same page. S. Floyd was high on their team board, yet when he fell to them, they refused to take him cause he didn't fit Marinelli's profile as a 3T DT. We are all aware of the whole Watt/Taco debacle. MM stated this year that the organization should empower the scouts and Will McClay as they do all the work on evaluating the players. On paper, the Cowboys has one of their best drafts in several years.

-We have heard that it's a team effort putting the offensive game plan together, the likes of Kellen Moore, Jason Garrett, Nuss, Kitna & even Dak all were involved in the process. So many men, probably so many different opinions. Why hire a OC if they don't trust him to put together his own game plan? We aren't sure of all the logistics how it we all work between MM & Moore, but it is clear, they are in charge.

-Do we even need to discuss the Defense, having two so called DC's not being on the same page was an absolute disaster. What we do know now is Mike Nolan is the team's DC, he will be implementing his own scheme, making his own calls and having the entire unit being on the same page.

So many cooks in the kitchen, without one Chef!!

Me introduction to America was mixing 2 packets of yeast, 2 cups oil, pound of flour, 4 cups water, half cup salt plus cheddar specks to make a pizza crust.

Blokes. Workaday contractors and plumbers and penny stock analysts:

We do not have a way forward. YET.
But, Jerry, arbiter of averageness.
Unify the ranks.
Make the painful solutions.
I say, let Ma cca make the decisions!
Duh!
Cut Dak, put Pollard in beast mode.
Let Dalton toss to CEE DEE, GALLUP, AMARI AND JARWIN!!!
Oh, my.
We can dream, can't we, lethargic followers?
Hip, hip then!
Up we go.

817Gill

Reaction score
Here is your Chef...:thumbup:

20200614-071930.jpg
Actually looks like a football coach and not a sideline reporter.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Scotty Bowman, coach of the Montreal Canadien's dynasty in the '70's once said about leadership.."I know I have a great team when my stars start playing like "foot soldiers" and my foot soldiers start playing like 'stars".. Every player has leadership qualities , it comes from within.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I can't recall another team's staff being like this, but I'm sure if there was, we would have been in the top 3.
The most dysfunctional coaching staff in the history of the NFL has to be the 1993 Houston Oilers. From players having brawl fights in the locker room to Buddy Ryan punching Kevin Gilbride on the sidelines.
:facepalm:The Houston Term-Oilers as they were called back then.

After them I'd place the Commanders in second. Every since Snyder bought the team they've been dysfunctional. First the RGIII debacle with Mike Shanahan not wanting him. Then the two offensive coordinators and two defensive coordinators with Joe Gibbs. Snyder has been a bigger train wreck than Jerry ever could be.

So yeah, I agree with you, we are third on that list.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The whole Cowboy Organization has lacked a central leader in many areas within the team:

-We have heard that picking the draft picks was a team effort, where Jerry was the tie-breaker if it came to that point. As we have seen, the front office/coaching staff & the scouts haven't been on the same page. S. Floyd was high on their team board, yet when he fell to them, they refused to take him cause he didn't fit Marinelli's profile as a 3T DT. We are all aware of the whole Watt/Taco debacle. MM stated this year that the organization should empower the scouts and Will McClay as they do all the work on evaluating the players. On paper, the Cowboys has one of their best drafts in several years.

-We have heard that it's a team effort putting the offensive game plan together, the likes of Kellen Moore, Jason Garrett, Nuss, Kitna & even Dak all were involved in the process. So many men, probably so many different opinions. Why hire a OC if they don't trust him to put together his own game plan? We aren't sure of all the logistics how it we all work between MM & Moore, but it is clear, they are in charge.

-Do we even need to discuss the Defense, having two so called DC's not being on the same page was an absolute disaster. What we do know now is Mike Nolan is the team's DC, he will be implementing his own scheme, making his own calls and having the entire unit being on the same page.

So many cooks in the kitchen, without one Chef!!
Lol! People have know idea how a team works. Don't worry, garret is gone....MM will be fine.