Many cooks in the kitchen, without a chef!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He may start in the sub-packages, but the hope is he becomes the starter early in his career, hopefully year 1.

Dallas has some experienced CBs that they've acquired for that specific purpose. I expect Diggs' reps to be limited and gradually increase as his development becomes obvious. The safety help should be improved, so Awuzie shouldn't be left to carry the load in deep coverage, like last year.

johneric8

Reaction score
The whole Cowboy Organization has lacked a central leader in many areas within the team:

-We have heard that picking the draft picks was a team effort, where Jerry was the tie-breaker if it came to that point. As we have seen, the front office/coaching staff & the scouts haven't been on the same page. S. Floyd was high on their team board, yet when he fell to them, they refused to take him cause he didn't fit Marinelli's profile as a 3T DT. We are all aware of the whole Watt/Taco debacle. MM stated this year that the organization should empower the scouts and Will McClay as they do all the work on evaluating the players. On paper, the Cowboys has one of their best drafts in several years.

-We have heard that it's a team effort putting the offensive game plan together, the likes of Kellen Moore, Jason Garrett, Nuss, Kitna & even Dak all were involved in the process. So many men, probably so many different opinions. Why hire a OC if they don't trust him to put together his own game plan? We aren't sure of all the logistics how it we all work between MM & Moore, but it is clear, they are in charge.

-Do we even need to discuss the Defense, having two so called DC's not being on the same page was an absolute disaster. What we do know now is Mike Nolan is the team's DC, he will be implementing his own scheme, making his own calls and having the entire unit being on the same page.

So many cooks in the kitchen, without one Chef!!
You actually took the time to write a post that long to suggest the cowboys lack a chef, or a central power figure? That was true with Garrett I'll give you that but did you somehow slip and hit your head on a rock and forget big Mike is here and in charge!

I know it may be hard to believe but Jerry is letting him do his thing from picking his own staff to implementing his complete vision.

Are you just looking for negatives to be cute?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You actually took the time to write a post that long to suggest the cowboys lack a chef, or a central power figure? That was true with Garrett I'll give you that but did you somehow slip and hit your head on a rock and forget big Mike is here and in charge!

I know it may be hard to believe but Jerry is letting him do his thing from picking his own staff to implementing his complete vision.

Are you just looking for negatives to be cute?

You missed my point, I was talking pre-MM.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
In 2016 we had one of the best drafts in years as well. Getting input from multiple sources on the draft is not a bad thing. The more people are in agreement on a player the better the odds are that player will work out. As for McClay, are you suggesting he wasn't allowed to do his scouting in the past? I'm not sure I understand the notion that he was just this year empowered to do that.

I do, however, buy the idea that Garrett wasn't a strong enough leader, and that hopefully McCarthy will have a stronger grip on what's going on.

As for the scouting department, I don't think the front office empowered McClay enough on draft day. In my opinion, gave too much weight to the staff. Gave two examples of them bypassing the likes of Floyd, Watt based on Marinelli's preferences. The scouts are paid to watch/evaluate the players, McClay is in charge of the scouts. Coaches are paid to coach the players, not to select them.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As for the scouting department, I don't think the front office empowered McClay enough on draft day. In my opinion, gave too much weight to the staff. Gave two examples of them bypassing the likes of Floyd, Watt based on Marinelli's preferences. The scouts are paid to watch/evaluate the players, McClay is in charge of the scouts. Coaches are paid to coach the players, not to select them.
I don't think McClay had a final word on anything this year or in the past. That's not his role. He comes up with evaluations and recommendations, but the front office and coaching staff determine priorities and needs. Maybe the team gave too much weight to Marinelli's thoughts a few times, but that's not the same as saying McClay wasn't empowered to do his scouting. The team made a choice, and it was the wrong one, but we don't know that Jerry or Garrett felt differently than Marinelli did anyway. They certainly didn't have to go with Marinelli's preference if they thought it was wrong. McCarthy won't either. And, of course, there will always be draft picks that don't work out. There is no batting 1.000 with the draft for any team.

quickccc

Reaction score
-MM has a successful track record as a playcaller, but many believe the reason why he lost his job was cause his offense became too predictable. He had a year to self-evaluate, study other offenses around the league and knows he has to adapt to more of a modern scheme. Having a young, talented OC will help his scheme transition to more of a modern one. It will be more of a calloborative effort between the two, however, MM will have the final say and make in game adjustments if needed.

-We do not know for certain, if Garrett forced Moore's hand in regards to calling the plays, but at times the offense sure look entirely different and more like the one Garrett ran.

-I expect MM to bring his wco scheme concepts, where Moore will design modern tweaks to the scheme. He will try to take away the predictability and find ways to disguise what they want to accomplish. Ultimately, they want a offensive scheme that the defense has no idea what they are doing in a given play.

They can believe as much as they like when it comes to MM "being predictable". While i will continue to
believe the rocky relationship of MM and Aaron Rodgers, along with an underwhelming defense
(which MM held on to failing DC Dom Capers waaay too long before finally changing to new DC)
was the clear sign that he was losing the team, and the level of the Rodgers/McCarthy dispute
had to be at a very internal destructive crisis.

And to make matters worse (and personal ?) MM was actually fired at "mid-season" instead of after
the season. What kind of move was that for a HC that won you a SB ?

Yet there is now speculation that began when GB drafted a QB in the 1st round, even with
Rodgers still playing at an elite high. And i highly doubt this Packers regime are gonna wait years sitting down Love for the sake of Rodgers playing out his career. Ala Brett Favre.
IS this a clear sign of it being Rodgers a internal issue vs coaching, than what it was with
MM ?

o_O

fivetwos

Reaction score
Unlike other HC's MM was allowed to overhaul his entire coaching staff. Do believe the two holdovers, were his decision. This is progress and perhaps this is more of a sign that his son Stephen is now in charge.
Yes on the assistants and good point.

What scares me a bit is theres a holdover puppet in the making in Moore.

I'm concerned Jerry is gonna pull his usual crap and run MM out of town once the ship is righted.

He has done it to two HOF coaches. The room isnt big enough for a HC like that. Has to be all Jerry.

Wants to win badly, but not at all at the expense of giving up a drop of "credit."

What he is too ignorant to realize is that everyone has already formed their opinion of Jerry Jones. Him winning a SB isnt going to change anything. No one is ever going to think "football guy" when they hear the name.

But dont tell him about reality. Anything like that would be met with a credit card declined at Love Field story.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They can believe as much as they like when it comes to MM "being predictable". While i will continue to
believe the rocky relationship of MM and Aaron Rodgers, along with an underwhelming defense
(which MM held on to failing DC Dom Capers waaay too long before finally changing to new DC)
was the clear sign that he was losing the team, and the level of the Rodgers/McCarthy dispute
had to be at a very internal destructive crisis.

And to make matters worse (and personal ?) MM was actually fired at "mid-season" instead of after
the season. What kind of move was that for a HC that won you a SB ?

Yet there is now speculation that began when GB drafted a QB in the 1st round, even with
Rodgers still playing at an elite high. And i highly doubt this Packers regime are gonna wait years sitting down Love for the sake of Rodgers playing out his career. Ala Brett Favre.
IS this a clear sign of it being Rodgers a internal issue vs coaching, than what it was with
MM ?

o_O

-Certainly there were issues between MM and Rodgers that lead to his firing. We even heard rumors early last season that Rodgers wasn't happy with the new offense he was running. After the draft, not only did they draft a future QB, but the HC stated he wanted to bring more of a run first type of offense. Rodgers could have issues with coaching, but it looks more like the new regime wants to start building for the future.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yes on the assistants and good point.

What scares me a bit is theres a holdover puppet in the making in Moore.

I'm concerned Jerry is gonna pull his usual crap and run MM out of town once the ship is righted.

He has done it to two HOF coaches. The room isnt big enough for a HC like that. Has to be all Jerry.

Wants to win badly, but not at all at the expense of giving up a drop of "credit."

What he is too ignorant to realize is that everyone has already formed their opinion of Jerry Jones. Him winning a SB isnt going to change anything. No one is ever going to think "football guy" when they hear the name.

But dont tell him about reality. Anything like that would be met with a credit card declined at Love Field story.

I agree, Jerry wants all the credit and doesn't want a high profile coach to receive it. If he truly wants to win again, he is going to have to swallow his ego, empower his HC to run this football team.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don't think McClay had a final word on anything this year or in the past. That's not his role. He comes up with evaluations and recommendations, but the front office and coaching staff determine priorities and needs. Maybe the team gave too much weight to Marinelli's thoughts a few times, but that's not the same as saying McClay wasn't empowered to do his scouting. The team made a choice, and it was the wrong one, but we don't know that Jerry or Garrett felt differently than Marinelli did anyway. They certainly didn't have to go with Marinelli's preference if they thought it was wrong. McCarthy won't either. And, of course, there will always be draft picks that don't work out. There is no batting 1.000 with the draft for any team.

I believe the front office has taken measures to avoid another S. Floyd type of disaster. They create a draft board collectively and must be ready for unexpected players to fall.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe the front office has taken measures to avoid another S. Floyd type of disaster. They create a draft board collectively and must be ready for unexpected players to fall.
Is the S. Floyd we are talking about Sharrif Floyd? If so, I have no idea how passing on him was a disaster, not to mention how there would be a claim that he was passed on because he didn't fit Marinelli's mold.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Is the S. Floyd we are talking about Sharrif Floyd? If so, I have no idea how passing on him was a disaster, not to mention how there would be a claim that he was passed on because he didn't fit Marinelli's mold.

Yes, it was Sharrif Floyd. Reportedly, he was a top 10 prospect on their board, but he Marinelli stated he wasn't a scheme fit for his defense. If he wasn't a scheme fit, why was he even on their draft board? If the scouts, coaches and management work on putting their draft board together, you would think this would of have been discussed prior. Jerry even admitted afterwards, this won't happen again.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, it was Sharrif Floyd. Reportedly, he was a top 10 prospect on their board, but he Marinelli stated he wasn't a scheme fit for his defense. If he wasn't a scheme fit, why was he even on their draft board? If the scouts, coaches and management work on putting their draft board together, you would think this would of have been discussed prior. Jerry even admitted afterwards, this won't happen again.

We took the 1st and 3rd we got for trading back and passing on Floyd, and ended up with Travis Frederick and Terrance Williams. On the other hand, Floyd only played 3 years in the NFL, none of which were particularly notable. In all, the Cowboys came out WAY on top on that deal, so how was that a disaster for the Cowboys?

As for Marinelli saying Floyd wasn't a fit for his scheme, Marinelli wasn't even the D-Coordinator when Sharriff was drafted. He was only the D-Line coach, so he wasn't the one determining the scheme. I'm not sure why Floyd wouldn't have been a scheme fit for Marinelli anyway because Floyd was the kind of quick DT Marinelli typically likes.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The whole Cowboy Organization has lacked a central leader in many areas within the team:

-We have heard that picking the draft picks was a team effort, where Jerry was the tie-breaker if it came to that point. As we have seen, the front office/coaching staff & the scouts haven't been on the same page. S. Floyd was high on their team board, yet when he fell to them, they refused to take him cause he didn't fit Marinelli's profile as a 3T DT. We are all aware of the whole Watt/Taco debacle. MM stated this year that the organization should empower the scouts and Will McClay as they do all the work on evaluating the players. On paper, the Cowboys has one of their best drafts in several years.

-We have heard that it's a team effort putting the offensive game plan together, the likes of Kellen Moore, Jason Garrett, Nuss, Kitna & even Dak all were involved in the process. So many men, probably so many different opinions. Why hire a OC if they don't trust him to put together his own game plan? We aren't sure of all the logistics how it we all work between MM & Moore, but it is clear, they are in charge.

-Do we even need to discuss the Defense, having two so called DC's not being on the same page was an absolute disaster. What we do know now is Mike Nolan is the team's DC, he will be implementing his own scheme, making his own calls and having the entire unit being on the same page.

So many cooks in the kitchen, without one Chef!!
This thread is a non-starter.

All of these issues exist becuz team structure from the top remains corrupted.

Let's see..

The GM reports to the owner.

The owner reports to no one.

The owner has a BODs in which the owner has any tie breaking vote.

It's not a democracy..its iron rule through nepotism.

Sorry.

McCarthy is a decent hire but he is passed his prime.

Having been out a year, he can not over haul his systems completely.

He has hired so many off his former staff, there is plenty of film to study what they will do.

I know everybody Hope's we are working with a clean slate with McCarthy.

But Dak isn't Rodgers and that is a huge difference for us. When McCarthy had Faurve and Rodgers, they were in NFC championship by their 2 and 3rd years.

Dak is approaching his 5th. Keeping little details like that clear will keep us realistic about our chances.

Just saying.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I agree, Jerry wants all the credit and doesn't want a high profile coach to receive it. If he truly wants to win again, he is going to have to swallow his ego, empower his HC to run this football team.
And we are all hoping he has already done that but old habits die hard.

Also, as people like him get older, they generally dont say ehh I'm old, let me step aside...they get worse. Luckily the kid is around to hopefully keep him in line.

Nothing wrong with simply being the owner of a winning team, he has to be the guy who put it all together also, and he considers futility a better option.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We took the 1st and 3rd we got for trading back and passing on Floyd, and ended up with Travis Frederick and Terrance Williams. On the other hand, Floyd only played 3 years in the NFL, none of which were particularly notable. In all, the Cowboys came out WAY on top on that deal, so how was that a disaster for the Cowboys?

As for Marinelli saying Floyd wasn't a fit for his scheme, Marinelli wasn't even the D-Coordinator when Sharriff was drafted. He was only the D-Line coach, so he wasn't the one determining the scheme. I'm not sure why Floyd wouldn't have been a scheme fit for Marinelli anyway because Floyd was the kind of quick DT Marinelli typically likes.

We got very fortunate with the trade back. Floyd suffered a knee injury that ended his career. I do remember, Marinelli stating he saw Floyd more as a NT not a 3T that he coveted. The Cowboys were transitioning from Kiffen to Marinelli at that time.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We got very fortunate with the trade back. Floyd suffered a knee injury that ended his career. I do remember, Marinelli stating he saw Floyd more as a NT not a 3T that he coveted. The Cowboys were transitioning from Kiffen to Marinelli at that time.
As for being fortunate about the trade back, the team didn't just make the deal randomly and got lucky, the team felt it could get better value with the trade back, and as we now know that was a correct evaluation. I can't imagine anyone in Dallas regretted it even before Floyd got injured.

Last edited: