Manziel, If He's There Will Jerry & What Would You Do?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I don't know much about this guy but he is short, kind of light in the rear end, but makes plays. I said yesterday this might be a player that compares to Roger Staubach - calm down, I did not say as good, just might compare with that intangible something going for him.

I know Romo is the long term, but Jerry could really be lusting after this guy.

So what if....

He falls to 16?

Would you?

Keep in mind if he is the real deal, this could change the future when Romo gets to the part of his contract where you can let him go with no cap hit. It would also breath life into the dreaded window of opportunity since we have until Romo can't model his swag any longer. So some players who are here now and have potential to be good to great - possibly Lee and Murray, Dez, TWill, TSmith...these guys have a future without the half decade of shopping Jerry is apt to do.

He could be Todd Marinovich. Or he could be Aaron Rogers. Evidently comparing him to Wilson in Seattle, his height is the same. And regardless of the doubters about Wilson, I think he played pretty heads up and avoided catastrophe.

I know all the reasons not to pick him. Defense needs help. Need a WR. Could use more O line and a LB.

You miss and it's status quo. You also would be investing time with him watching and learning. And he will be costly.

But you guys love to dream and hope. What if this is the second coming of Staubach? Or Montana?

I'm not selling here. Just curious what ya'll'd do.

Yeah or Nay on Johnny Football?

Proximo

Reaction score
Hopefully if he's there at 16 Jerry can trade down and take advantage of some desperate team that's salivating over him. I'd rather get a few quality picks to build depth than spend our highest pick on a question mark QB who's going to sit for AT LEAST 2 years, most likely.

rags747

Reaction score
If he's there at 16 or even close to 16 u take him, let him sit on the bench for 2-3yrs and then u have your next QB. Salary would not be the issue as it would probably be even less than our current backup QB. 1st rnd picks are now 5 years or is it 4? No guarantee that Donald is ther at 16 either. Personally I feel he will be top 5 anyway.

theSHOW

Reaction score
987.gif

theSHOW

Reaction score
I've been on recent record before the combine that none of these college QBs deserve a 1st round selection. I have heard some recent comments that now agree with me about Manziel free falling out of the top 5 picks and maybe landing in the 2nd round. Right now the two bigger QBs Carr ((NFL bloodlines) & Bortles (NFL body)look like guys who could sit a year or two and become nice players in the NFL. I would take Manziel in the 3rd if he happen to be there and let him return punts and see what we got. He might be a decent safety if you want to use his abilities and coach him up.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The biggest need this team has is a QB, so yep, I'd take him. Then design a offense that moves him around, takes advantage of his vision, accuracy, and leadership. However, no way do you run any type of option, or designed running play, other than taking off outside on occasion. Combine that with the same regimen they used to tame Dez, and you'll have a healthy superstar.

JF and Dez could rewrite the history books.

Gaede

Reaction score
Tough call.

I think I take him. I don't think he'll be best in the league, but I think he'll be pretty good. If you have a chance to take a franchise QB midway through the first, when you have a 33 yr old QBw multiple back surgeries.

But he needs a new coach cause Garrett would have no idea what to do with him.

And obviously, if he were there, Jerry would be all over him. The marketing opp would just be too insane not to.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Tough call.

I think I take him. I don't think he'll be best in the league, but I think he'll be pretty good. If you have a chance to take a franchise QB midway through the first, when you have a 33 yr old QBw multiple back surgeries.

But he needs a new coach cause Garrett would have no idea what to do with him.

And obviously, if he were there, Jerry would be all over him. The marketing opp would just be too insane not to.

Exactly.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
No, I like Johnny, I'm excited to see what he can do, but we don't need him here.

Kinda strange that Jerry said something smart, but I agree with him saying that these guys need to play. It makes no sense to tell these guys to sit 2-3 years and hold a clipboard. People let extremely rare occurrences like Romo and Rodgers con them into thinking that it's some kind of way to develop a QB. These guys are ready to go. Let them play... see the energy that Newton and Luck brought to the NFL in their first season. It's bad for the NFL to have Johnny Football or Bridgewater in the NFL for multiple years doing nothing.

Zordon

Reaction score
Take him. Romo is damaged goods at this both, physically and mentally. You're not winning anything with this old core, I can guarantee you that. We've tried with multiple coaches, systems, revolving pieces around them. For God's sakes, its time to move on. The league is passing us by. Russell Wilson is a champion and face of the league now. Meanwhile, here we are still trying desperately to enter the playoff game with our old busted core. They put up great numbers in Dallas but they don't know how to win the big game, that is their legacy. If you want to pretend like drafting one or two linemen is going to fix things for next season, then I suggest you stop chasing dreams. This team is what it is. We are in 2014. We've been doing this same dog and poney show with this core for nearly a decade. Time to move on, bring a fresh face, fresh voice, fresh swagger to the most important position on this team. It will help revitalize the franchise, locker room, and this beaten and battered fanbase.

RS12

Reaction score
Like a moth to a flame, Jerry would draft him. He reminds me of a larger Doug Flutie. I worry about his ability to throw and win from the pocket, which opposing teams would make him do. I would draft him because this team needs to look to thr future and franchise qbs are not always there when you need them.