Manziel, If He's There Will Jerry & What Would You Do?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
No thanks.

Trade down.

If Manziel lasts until 16, who is going to trade up for him? Very few teams below us needs a QB that badly that they would be willing to give up selections in a deep draft for him.

Cleveland would be about the only team that would be willing to do it and even then why not just wait out the seven picks and take him then?

Otherwise you are looking at a trade down all the way into the top of the second. That should not even be an option.

There is a good strong possibility Dallas cannot and should not move down at all, no matter how much the wildcatter might want to.

KB1122

Reaction score
If he is still there at 16, I think that's an easy choice.

If the Cowboys really believe he is the guy, then they should do what it takes to go get him.

Maybe RGIII works out, maybe he doesn't. But being aggressive was a lot better decision than sitting there waiting for someone to fall or playing the veteran free agent market again. Which is where we will be soon if we're not smart.

KB1122

Reaction score
Kinda strange that Jerry said something smart, but I agree with him saying that these guys need to play. It makes no sense to tell these guys to sit 2-3 years and hold a clipboard. People let extremely rare occurrences like Romo and Rodgers con them into thinking that it's some kind of way to develop a QB. These guys are ready to go. Let them play... see the energy that Newton and Luck brought to the NFL in their first season. It's bad for the NFL to have Johnny Football or Bridgewater in the NFL for multiple years doing nothing.

Why do you assume he'll be doing nothing? If he's a special quarterback, he'll be the starter sooner by the end of his second year.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Since this topic has been beat to death, why the heck would you start another thread about it?

I was curious. I don't believe I have seen another one like it.

Do you always answer a question with a question?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Why do you assume he'll be doing nothing? If he's a special quarterback, he'll be the starter sooner by the end of his second year.

LOL, not here. He'll be the starter on day one in Cleveland or Houston where he belongs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That ship sailed when we gave Romo his gigantic contract.

I would love to have him though but he is not a guy who you can sit for a few years and it would just be bad for Romo as well because anytime he had a bad game the pressure would be so high to start Manziel.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would not move up to get Manziel if by chance he lasted until 16 I would still be leery of the selection but could live with the pick. only reason I say this is because I know what is was like after Aikman left and Dallas went through and I don't want to see that happen again. I'm not as sold on Manziel as others but could not say it was a bad pick.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
That ship sailed when we gave Romo his gigantic contract.

I would love to have him though but he is not a guy who you can sit for a few years and it would just be bad for Romo as well because anytime he had a bad game the pressure would be so high to start Manziel.

Why?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry will select Manziel if Romo's back condition is worse than publicly announced. I would pick Manziel for the exact same reason. The draft cannot get here fast enough for me to settle this uncertainty. Unless Romo's back dictates otherwise, there are far more pressing non-quarterback needs which shall be addressed in the first three rounds of this draft. JMO.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
For Johnny, NFL will mean "not for long".

The speed and strength of defenses is much more prominent now than when Tarkenton played; he'd get crushed in today's league also.

visionary

Reaction score
Trade down
Not a fan of manziel
Someone shod give you a kings ransom for that pick
IMO the 3 best QBs in this draft will be bridgewater, bortles and garoppolo

In this scenario with a lot of extra picks I would take garoppolo at the top of rd 2 as my future QB

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Trade down
Not a fan of manziel
Someone shod give you a kings ransom for that pick
IMO the 3 best QBs in this draft will be bridgewater, bortles and garoppolo

In this scenario with a lot of extra picks I would take garoppolo at the top of rd 2 as my future QB

As Alex said, not many behind 16 need a QB.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Manziel lasts until 16, who is going to trade up for him? Very few teams below us needs a QB that badly that they would be willing to give up selections in a deep draft for him.

Cleveland would be about the only team that would be willing to do it and even then why not just wait out the seven picks and take him then?

Otherwise you are looking at a trade down all the way into the top of the second. That should not even be an option.

There is a good strong possibility Dallas cannot and should not move down at all, no matter how much the wildcatter might want to.

Ok...No Thanks...Take someone else.

Or You still trade down and get a first rounder next year while still getting a second and change this year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully if he's there at 16 Jerry can trade down and take advantage of some desperate team that's salivating over him. I'd rather get a few quality picks to build depth than spend our highest pick on a question mark QB who's going to sit for AT LEAST 2 years, most likely.

Yes yes yes!!!

Section446

Reaction score
I'm all about drafting Romo's replacement ASAP, but I don't think that he's the right guy. I think that you'd have to seriously consider it if he fell, but I'd ultimately pass.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
A thousand times, yes!

If he is there at 16 it would be a great investment for the future. No trade down, just take the dang player.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I agree. Rodgers sat behind Farve for what 3 years before he took over.

There's a reason why that's the only example you can come up with, and even the Packers did not plan for things to break that way. It's a stupid thing to do that worked out one time so people act like it's some blueprint to follow. Even with it "working", they were a contending team for 3 years that got to an NFC championship game who had a first round pick sitting there doing nothing for THREE years. You think they couldn't have used a first round talent somewhere else to maybe put them over the top? It's a stupid thing to do, which is why no one does it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not a fan. However, if the scouting department disagrees and they've given Manziel a franchise QB grade, they'd be idiots to not draft him. You don't take a franchise QB when it's convenient. You take one when you can get one.

The fixated on need crowd who want to *******ize the NFL Draft into some quick fix for the franchise will disagree. Those who respect the process for what it is, an investment for the future, will always keep an open mind to it.