Manziel, If He's There Will Jerry & What Would You Do?

manster4ever

Reaction score
I don't know much about this guy but he is short, kind of light in the rear end, but makes plays. I said yesterday this might be a player that compares to Roger Staubach - calm down, I did not say as good, just might compare with that intangible something going for him.

I know Romo is the long term, but Jerry could really be lusting after this guy.

So what if....

He falls to 16?

Would you?

Keep in mind if he is the real deal, this could change the future when Romo gets to the part of his contract where you can let him go with no cap hit. It would also breath life into the dreaded window of opportunity since we have until Romo can't model his swag any longer. So some players who are here now and have potential to be good to great - possibly Lee and Murray, Dez, TWill, TSmith...these guys have a future without the half decade of shopping Jerry is apt to do.

He could be Todd Marinovich. Or he could be Aaron Rogers. Evidently comparing him to Wilson in Seattle, his height is the same. And regardless of the doubters about Wilson, I think he played pretty heads up and avoided catastrophe.

I know all the reasons not to pick him. Defense needs help. Need a WR. Could use more O line and a LB.

You miss and it's status quo. You also would be investing time with him watching and learning. And he will be costly.

But you guys love to dream and hope. What if this is the second coming of Staubach? Or Montana?

I'm not selling here. Just curious what ya'll'd do.

Yeah or Nay on Johnny Football?

HELL no I wouldn't take him. I have to assume this is a rhetorical question. However, the part about JJ taking him isn't altogether crazy because Jones is obviously enamored with him. Scary.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I don't know much about this guy but he is short, kind of light in the rear end, but makes plays. I said yesterday this might be a player that compares to Roger Staubach - calm down, I did not say as good, just might compare with that intangible something going for him.

I know Romo is the long term, but Jerry could really be lusting after this guy.

So what if....

He falls to 16?

Would you?

Keep in mind if he is the real deal, this could change the future when Romo gets to the part of his contract where you can let him go with no cap hit. It would also breath life into the dreaded window of opportunity since we have until Romo can't model his swag any longer. So some players who are here now and have potential to be good to great - possibly Lee and Murray, Dez, TWill, TSmith...these guys have a future without the half decade of shopping Jerry is apt to do.

He could be Todd Marinovich. Or he could be Aaron Rogers. Evidently comparing him to Wilson in Seattle, his height is the same. And regardless of the doubters about Wilson, I think he played pretty heads up and avoided catastrophe.

I know all the reasons not to pick him. Defense needs help. Need a WR. Could use more O line and a LB.

You miss and it's status quo. You also would be investing time with him watching and learning. And he will be costly.

But you guys love to dream and hope. What if this is the second coming of Staubach? Or Montana?

I'm not selling here. Just curious what ya'll'd do.

Yeah or Nay on Johnny Football?

With one of the baddest contracts in franchise history we commited ourselfs to Romo. There is no way we draft a QB that high this year. But with those wizz kids like Stehen Jones you never know.
Personaly i'd say no to manziell even if we had a QB need.

Last but not least this franchise lacks the skills to develop QBs. If there is something that the FO should think about (instead of drafting a QB) it's the question "how do i develope a good QB".

Silverstar

Reaction score
Yep, I'd take him and would use him right away too.

Manziel with 30 rushing TD's is a legit dual threat and can be used on certain running plays, wildcat formation, reverses, the half back option pass etc, etc.

Sit him on the bench for a year or two my arse!

coogrfan

Reaction score
Yep, I'd take him and would use him right away too.

Manziel with 30 rushing TD's is a legit dual threat and can be used on certain running plays, wildcat formation, reverses, the half back option pass etc, etc.

Sit him on the bench for a year or two my arse!

Dude proved last year that he couldn't hold up for an entire college season playing that way. What reason is there to think he would be able to do so in the NFL?

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
My all-time favorite Cowboys QB is Roger. 'Jolly Roger' made the defensive pursuit look silly while at Naval Academy and was as much a threat to run as to pass. Dangerous enough to win the Heisman trophy. He was very late into the NFL after serving as a Navy supply officer in the Vietnam conflict. Though Manziel and Staubach may seem dissimilar from a 'character' standpoint, their commonality is their ability to rally their teams to victory - their ability to generate unfettered confidence to overcome all circumstances. For Roger, that ability transferred over to the big leagues.

In college, Johnny Manziel simply made great plays - and often from nothing. If through some bizarre twist of fate, he lasts until the Cowboys' draft position at 16TH - and the Cowboys do not choose him... I will be more than slightly stunned and angered.

The QB position is THE most relevant position to team success. And our starter Tony Romo may only have a couple years left in the tank even if all goes smoothly. But the odds say that they will not go as such.

Dallas likely won't even sniff Johnny Football in this draft. But, if they do, they better pull the trigger with a quickness.