Manziel, If He's There Will Jerry & What Would You Do?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Nobody should be overly convinced but college tape on both speaks for itself. They may turn out to be Tim Tebows but he was given the benefit of the doubt and so should they by going in round 1.

some guy I have been I felt certain about guys like Aikman, Manning and Luck. Will Manziel go rd 1? yes and likely before 16 but that has to do with the QB crop coming out in this draft he is a 1 compared to the other guys but frankly I don't see his skill levels much greater than some QB who will go later in the draft. As for college tape it tells you how a young man plays college ball but being a top college QB means little. Guys like Applewhite, McCoy, Tebow and Young were all outstanding college QB but seeing their weakness jumped out at me and just did not feel they would make it at the next level. I'm not trying to claim myself as some QB guru I'm not but just watching Manziel I see things in his game that leads me to believe he will not succeed.

Zordon

Reaction score
The only thing that would suck about taking Manziel for me is we'd be losing out on of the biggest benefits of having a young QB, which is the cap savings. Romo's contract prevents us from reaping the benefits of having a cheap young QB. Seattle and San Fran are taking advantage of it now. Signing Romo to that deal was a terrible idea.

lwehlers

Reaction score
if the cowboys were a playoff team and was able to let manziel sit and wait for him time to start I would say go for it. as it is now this team needs all of the draft picks it could use so trade down and get a future number one pick.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Yeah, take him.

Just like if I won the lottery I'd take the money.

New problem: How do Tony and Johnny co-exist? It's a good problem to have, but don't expect them to be teammates long-term.

Yeah, could you imagine this place the first time Tony throws a pick if we have Johnny on the bench.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Well this is for sure. Johnny was a fantastic college QB. He got out of certain sacks time & again to make big plays for the Ags. Who knows if he can do it in the pros? Some team will roll those dice. I would not count him out.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Well yes, if we draft him and he signs we can tell him to sit. We could tell him to sit out his entire contract if we want. But why would we do that? Why would he want to do that? We're going to hold a guy hostage that should be playing behind a guy that signed a six year extension that BEGINS this season? This guy won a Heisman trophy, he's not some project. He expects to play and he should be.

Heisman Trophies for QB's seldom translate to the NFL in recent memory.

His expectations have no meaning here. He will learn the game in the way the franchise who drafts him deems.

And he is a HUGE Cowboy fan. Which means nothing really. Just thought I'd toss that in there.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
It's a 3 year contract that for Jones has only 2 possibilities: Romo is starting all 48 games or he is no longer in the NFL. By offering that contract, that's what Jerry threw down. There is no reasonable line of thinking that would lead to drafting a QB this year in the first round. If Romo's back craps out then we will be awful, take our QB in the next draft and then throw him out there. There's nothing special about this QB draft class. Just like no one saw Winston, there are plenty of other great QBs in the pipeline.

In your mind there is no reasonable line of thinking.

But this franchise is not one or two picks away from hitting the home run. So many things MUST go right for this team to be in the tourney.

You don't wait, if the team believe Manzie4l is a difference maker. You do not pass up a franchise QB at this point. Because not all of Romo's contract is guaranteed. So expectations of him playing out his contract is not a done deal.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I don't know how many times I have to say it, that was a weird fluke. There were no QBs drafted between Smith and Rodgers which made the fall possible. The Pack thought Rodgers would be playing right away or possibly at worst after one season. Not only was Favre not guaranteed 55 million, he had been talking about retiring openly after his father died. The Packers never would have drafted Rodgers if they knew he would be a viable football player until 2010.

This weird fluke is why ten years later it's the only example anyone can think of (Rivers also sat behind Brees a year before Rodgers was drafted). It's a stupid thing to do. You don't stash 1st round QBs, you play them.

THat was the norm a even as little as a few years ago and was for almost half a century.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
start another johnny football thread. just can't get enough of 'em.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Let me be clear.

I am not advocating Johnny Football as the lock nuts cinch player if he fell, or wherever he is taken.

I believe I am addressing drafting philosophy right now.

If, and this is a big if, Manziel is what some think he is, a top five, franchise quarterback. And his behavior, being a prick, size, attitude scares off enough teams and he fell to 16, then the dilemma is what to do.

Do you see the future and suspect Romo's retirement? And perhaps earlier than some of you who call him living legends seem to think?

Recall Aikman and how quickly his back deteriorated his game. He went from being a dead ball accurate quarterback to an old man in less than two seasons. Not sure that will happen to Romo. And in this case the bird in the hand is worth two Manziel's in the bush.

However, this could be a frqanchise quarterback that slips. And if he is, and there is a wide consensus that he is - both on your team and others - then do you not take the best player at 16?

I do not think you will find teams hankering to trade up once you get that far down. They will be trying to fleece the trade-meister Jerry Jones with blankets and shiny beads.

So this comes down to three things for me.

1. Is he a franchise quarterback?
2. Will Romo last out this contract health-wise?
3. What is on the table to trade if he does fall?

Answer those questions - especially 1 - and then you will be close to a real answer and not something emotional.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Jerry is an interesting character who's up and down. One minute, he passes on star quality, next minute, he moves up to the 6 position to take a freaking CB. So sometimes he's aggressive, sometimes he's not. He's so unpredictable it's hard to tell. And we all know that JM is the perfect fit for Jerry Jones the fan GM / Diva, yet every now and then he passes on people that makes you scratch your head. (Randy Moss)

I think JM will be a good QB but that means nothing. We just don't know. All we know is what has happened lately. And so what we do know is that Romo hasn't taken us anywhere. That's the only thing we know FOR SURE. Now, if you're going to draft JM if he's there at 16, then prepare to move Romo out soon. Why? Because we all know that JM will not sit on the bench 2 or 3 years. JM will be on that field before the year is up. So if you don't want to start the process of ending the Romo career here, then you won't draft JM, IF he falls to 16.

Personally, I don't care what QB falls to 16 as long as we get one.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
He won't be there. Jerry would take him if he is. I think JM is going to be a bust. He hasn't really done crap in college. All hype. Kids is going to get crushed in the NFL