"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
"March Madness"

"On the Bubble"

"The Big Dance"

"Cinderella Teams"

"Bracketology"

"Sweet 16"

Is there an event of any kind that has more tired cliches attached to it than the NCAA Basketball Championships?

More than perhaps any sport, college basketball is a coach's game. Unfortunately, they're the stars these days. Part of this is because many of the broadcasters are former coaches who hype the current coaches (Dick Vitale worships at the feet of some of these coaches and it's nauseating). The cameras are on the coaches too much. Another reason is because most of the good players only play one year in college, then go on to the NBA.

I don't get into college basketball much anymore. I realize I'm in the minority .... big time. This time of year, I feel like an outsider.

Wake me when it's over.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Having grown up in North Carolina, obviously I always thought it was the event of all events. They had 3 different schools win titles in a 4 year span (and another was great too). But it's not the same anymore...still great competiton, and unlike college football, they do get a true national champ...but it's not like it was in the 80s or even the 90s.

I still love it, but something is missing. Also, now that I've been in Texas for many years, it has lost it's luster a bit more. Nvertheless, it is a truly great event, imo.

Football rules.

Avaj

Peace Be Still
Reaction score
I just get into to pass the time until football season. After college ball then I focus on NBA. That carries me to the summer. I have to entertain my mind with something or I'll go crazy...lol.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's the only time I like any other sport than football.

Not love but like.

It can be exciting watching the under dog teams win as there are always a team or two that does.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
My Heels didn't make it this year (or I should say won't unless they win the ACC Tournament and there is a greater chance of Jessica Alba waking up next to me tomorrow than the Heels winning four in a row in Greensboro) but I will take the days off, sit there with a bag of shelled peanuts and watch a ton of games.

DFWJC

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3300655 said:
My Heels didn't make it this year (or I should say won't unless they win the ACC Tournament and there is a greater chance of Jessica Alba waking up next to me tomorrow than the Heels winning four in a row in Greensboro) but I will take the days off, sit there with a bag of shelled peanuts and watch a ton of games.
I know they lost almost everyone, but it's still shocking how bad they are this year. Maybe this new crop of recruits will unite the forces next year. :confused:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Combination of lost a lot, guys coming in not being as good as advertised, ton of injuries and boom you have 16-15.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I love this time of the year. Thank God for March Madness.

Christiann

Reaction score
The NBA, NCAAB, and MLB keep me occupied until the NFL season starts, I think Syracuse is going to take it all this year.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3300988 said:
As long as it isn't Duke. There is no more annoying athlete than a Duke white guy.
I can think of at least one thing.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
peplaw06;3301046 said:
I can think of at least one thing.

how original but I said annoying athlete

I know you love Duke though for whatever reason.

Duke are the Eagles of basketball, annoying fans, annoying building etc

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3301102 said:
how original but I said annoying athlete

I know you love Duke though for whatever reason.

Duke are the Eagles of basketball, annoying fans, annoying building etc
The problem with your little analogy is that Duke has won championships recently. I could just as easily say the same thing about your Tar Fails.

Good luck making the NIT.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3300402 said:
I disagree I love March and the NCAA tournament.
that's cause the college b-ball team where you live is the only good sports team.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Rampage;3301787 said:
that's cause the college b-ball team where you live is the only good sports team.

I was a college bball fan LONG before we got an NBA team. The Griz are getting better though. If they were in the East they'd be in the playoffs.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3301847 said:
I was a college bball fan LONG before we got an NBA team. The Griz are getting better though. If they were in the East they'd be in the playoffs.

Grizzlies eh, they are better than when they were here but damn they were god awful.

started when they took Big Country Reeves, what a mistake that was.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
peplaw06;3301173 said:
The problem with your little analogy is that Duke has won championships recently. I could just as easily say the same thing about your Tar Fails.

Good luck making the NIT.

You have a point re a championship but the fans are as annoying Eagle fans. Maybe you are more like Saint/Patriot fans

Now correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Heels win two NCAA championships since Duke's last one? I vaguely remember 2005 and 2009 whereas Duke last won in 2001.