March Madness

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
trickblue;3334815 said:
Another terrible call in favor of Duke...

We're watching the same game right?

If this game had been called down the middle the entire time, Duke would be up double digits.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
numnuts23;3334838 said:
We're watching the same game right?

If this game had been called down the middle the entire time, Duke would be up double digits.

I was talking about the charge call at crunch time... awful call...

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
trickblue;3334843 said:

Agreed on that charge - they missed it.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
Amazing game. I like how the refs are letting them play.

Eldorado

Reaction score
People saying duke benefitted from the refs are so terribly blind. What an amazing game.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
trickblue;3334814 said:
I was specifically talking about the charge foul on Lomers when he came back in...

Late in the game... Gave Baylor a 4 point lead I believe then two points erased as a result... and Lomas fouled out on the call...

Even the analysts questioned the call... it was a big turning point...
It wasn't Lomers, it was Quincy Acy. And Baylor was down two at that point IIRC. The bucket would have tied it. After it was erased, Baylor went on to take the lead at a later point, so that was not much of a turning point if one at all. Zoubek only went on to get one more rebound before eventually fouling out.

It was a 50-50 call. Just cause so many people dislike Duke, it's the worst call ever. Don't even get me started on the officiating tonight. All I care is that Duke won!!!

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
trickblue;3334843 said:
I'm assuming you forgot the block call on Zoubek where he was set a few possessions before that one. :rolleyes:

Or maybe you missed the non-call on Singler's drive down the lane that should have been an And 1, or maybe you missed Butler pushing Duke players in the back to get defensive rebounds.

trickblue

Reaction score
peplaw06;3334930 said:
It wasn't Lomers, it was Quincy Acy. And Baylor was down two at that point IIRC. The bucket would have tied it. After it was erased, Baylor went on to take the lead at a later point, so that was not much of a turning point if one at all. Zoubek only went on to get one more rebound before eventually fouling out.

It was a 50-50 call. Just cause so many people dislike Duke, it's the worst call ever. Don't even get me started on the officiating tonight. All I care is that Duke won!!!

It was Lomers...

trickblue

Reaction score
peplaw06;3334932 said:
I'm assuming you forgot the block call on Zoubek where he was set a few possessions before that one. :rolleyes:

Or maybe you missed the non-call on Singler's drive down the lane that should have been an And 1, or maybe you missed Butler pushing Duke players in the back to get defensive rebounds.

I look for game changing calls at crucial times...

It was a good game... but I have ALWAYS hated calls missed on the inside...

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
trickblue;3334950 said:
I look for game changing calls at crucial times...

It was a good game... but I have ALWAYS hated calls missed on the inside...
So it's only game changing if it goes against the team you're rooting for? The other calls I mentioned were on the inside as well.

BigWillie

Reaction score
Zoubek's elbow was voted as MOP of the Final Four. His elbows ability to plant itself in someones face without fouling made this honor well deserved.

Congrats!

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
trickblue;3334948 said:
It was Lomers...
[youtube]22KiN_2oMrU[/youtube]

You're right that Baylor was up two though. But it doesn't change the fact that they exchanged leads a couple of times after that.

Bizwah

Reaction score
It was a fairly well-officiated game.

But it seems there's always one weak charge call for Duke that smells funny.

Hayward had a nice drive to the lane, nice basket....but a charge? Just seems a little inconsistent with the way the rest of the game was called.

Probably I only noticed because I really wanted the Cinderella ending.

Great game!!

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
BigWillie;3334971 said:
Zoubek's elbow was voted as MOP of the Final Four. His elbows ability to plant itself in someones face without fouling made this honor well deserved.

Congrats!
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

trickblue

Reaction score
peplaw06;3334970 said:
So it's only game changing if it goes against the team you're rooting for? The other calls I mentioned were on the inside as well.

Actually... I could care less about either team... they mean nothing to me...

Wasn't rooting for any one of them per se... just called it as I saw it...

Both are irrelevant to me... but evidently when I cross fan lines... I am biased all of the sudden...

Perhaps YOU should review YOUR criteria?

trickblue

Reaction score
peplaw06;3334978 said:
[youtube]22KiN_2oMrU[/youtube]

You're right that Baylor was up two though. But it doesn't change the fact that they exchanged leads a couple of times after that.

Wrong clip...

But I still love ya... ;)

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
trickblue;3334982 said:
Actually... I could care less about either team... they mean nothing to me...

Wasn't rooting for any one of them per se... just called it as I saw it...

Both are irrelevant to me... but evidently when I cross fan lines... I am biased all of the sudden...

Perhaps YOU should review your criteria?
Sorry... you pointed out a call that was for a team whose coach you've already stated that you can't stand. You're biased because you've stated as much. I point out that there are plenty of calls that can go either way and/or noncalls.

I'm not complaining about the officiating, you (and others) are. All I'm saying is if you want to play that game, it can be played both ways.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
trickblue;3334987 said:
Wrong clip...

But I still love ya... ;)

That clip was much more discussed after that game than Lomers fouling out. I believe Lomers was out well before the 5 minute mark. So if it was such a big turning point, then how did Baylor overcome that to take the lead?

The turning point of that game was the back to back threes by Smith and Scheyer when the game was tied at 61.

Bizwah

Reaction score
peplaw06;3334998 said:
Sorry... you pointed out a call that was for a team whose coach you've already stated that you can't stand. You're biased because you've stated as much. I point out that there are plenty of calls that can go either way and/or noncalls.

I'm not complaining about the officiating, you (and others) are. All I'm saying is if you want to play that game, it can be played both ways.

I hate to butt in.....

But I have a problem in general with the way charges are called.

It's the one opportunity most officials have to be real demonstrative in their call.

I think it's called too many times in college basketball. Leave the flops to the Europeans.

Don't get me wrong...I think charges have their place....but I've always thought that most of the ones that are called are actually blocks.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Bizwah;3335006 said:
I hate to butt in.....

But I have a problem in general with the way charges are called.

It's the one opportunity most officials have to be real demonstrative in their call.

I think it's called too many times in college basketball. Leave the flops to the Europeans.

Don't get me wrong...I think charges have their place....but I've always thought that most of the ones that are called are actually blocks.
Like I've said, when it's a 50-50 call, it's a crapshoot. For every one you can complain about, I can do the same. It goes both ways.

A signature of a Coach K led team is taking charges. They get called for a lot of blocks, but they also take charges.

How many times did you see a Butler player give up his body for a charge? I only remember one, and Howard probably should have fouled out on that, but they bailed him out with a traveling call on Singler.