March Madness

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
peplaw06;3334978 said:
[youtube]22KiN_2oMrU[/youtube]

You're right that Baylor was up two though. But it doesn't change the fact that they exchanged leads a couple of times after that.
That was the correct call, BTW.

There was a charge called against Butler tonight that I would've called a block. The Duke player's feet weren't set enough for me to call it a charge.

Bizwah;3335006 said:
I hate to butt in.....

But I have a problem in general with the way charges are called.

It's the one opportunity most officials have to be real demonstrative in their call.

I think it's called too many times in college basketball. Leave the flops to the Europeans.

Don't get me wrong...I think charges have their place....but I've always thought that most of the ones that are called are actually blocks.
The reason officials get more demonstrative about making the calls is because they're usually controversial. Officials are trained to sell the call even if they have some doubt.

That official may feel in the back of their mind that they screwed up, but because it's such a tough call to make and officials are the enemy to everybody but the other officials, they've got to sell it. They don't train them to go all ridiculous with it, but that's TV for you. It makes fools out of everybody.

Overall, I thought it was a decently called game. The calls made were consistent in both halves which is what most coaches look for.

BigWillie

Reaction score
peplaw06;3334981 said:

Brah, there is no reason to deny most of what is said, because it won't change the fact your squad won the tourney.

However, it would be silly to not laugh at the fact Zoubek is a constant moving screen machine and his elbows are like heat seeking missiles for someones head.

The no call between Zoubek-Howard at the end was downright comical. That is undeniable.

If you do deny it though, I FULLY expect, 'yeah but Butler go away with this too!' style response. :D

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
BigWillie;3335057 said:
Brah, there is no reason to deny most of what is said, because it won't change the fact your squad won the tourney.

However, it would be silly to not laugh at the fact Zoubek is a constant moving screen machine and his elbows are like heat seeking missiles for someones head.

The no call between Zoubek-Howard at the end was downright comical. That is undeniable.

If you do deny it though, I FULLY expect, 'yeah but Butler go away with this too!' style response. :D
As long as you admit that it goes both ways, I have no problem. Where I get pissed off is when all the haters chalk this entire tournament to Duke getting the benefit of the whistle. It's complete bull****. That's always the excuse.

I don't think I came in here last year and cried about North Carolina getting all the calls.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
peplaw06;3335231 said:
As long as you admit that it goes both ways, I have no problem. Where I get pissed off is when all the haters chalk this entire tournament to Duke getting the benefit of the whistle. It's complete bull****. That's always the excuse.

I don't think I came in here last year and cried about North Carolina getting all the calls.

What does North Carolina have to do with Butler and Duke?

It was a great game. I've never seen anyone so angry to have their team win the championship.

DFWJC

Reaction score
TheCount;3335248 said:

It was a great game. I've never seen anyone so angry to have their team win the championship.
Those Dookies....always taking jabs at the Tar Heels. :cool:

Congrats to the Devils. You now have almost caught up with us in Championships. :D

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
TheCount;3335248 said:
The point is you never hear as much consistent complaining about the refs after any other team's games as you do after a Duke win. It's like every time Duke wins, you know the first thing you're gonna hear is about the biased refs. It gets old. Half the country never wants to give them any credit, it's as if the title was given to them.

Nevermind the fact that they have one of the greatest coaches of all time, or any of that.

It was a great game. And I'm not angry that they won. I'm angry that the refs are again brought up.

Of course, a little of that probably has to do with the fact I'm a Cowboys fan. We always bring up the refs after a Steelers championship. I despise the Steelers. I don't think one 50-50 charge/block called here or there rises to the level of the dubious calls the Steelers have benefited from.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Congratulations Pep. You know that I am a bitter rival where Duke is concerned but I am happy that the Dukies were able to represent the ACC well and bring it on home. Enjoy........ Hopefully, we'll have a few more players next year on the Carolina Bench.

:)

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3335523 said:
Congratulations Pep. You know that I am a bitter rival where Duke is concerned but I am happy that the Dukies were able to represent the ACC well and bring it on home. Enjoy........ Hopefully, we'll have a few more players next year on the Carolina Bench.

:)
Thanks ABQ!! I know it was a tough year... and while I did have some fun ribbing all my Tar Heel friends, it was pretty disappointing for the rivalry to take that step down this year. Here's to both teams being great next year. Though, I hope we're greater... :D

If Singler and Smith stay in school, I think them the Plumlees, Dawkins and Seth Curry will be a force next year. Sure hope so, cause Harrison Barnes looks like the real deal, and that's not to mention the rest of your incoming frosh.

Eldorado

Reaction score
BigWillie;3335057 said:

If you've ever played a lick of basketball in your entire life, which I'm going to go ahead and assume you haven't, you really shouldn't talk. First off, his "heat seeking missles" are called "knowing how to use your body". Howard was getting away with over-the-back calls all game long, don't make any mistake about that. A legal play is, simply, when you get a rebound and don't want to have someone crash on you hard, lift your elbows up. If Howard chooses to continue to play over-aggressively, he'll get a swift elbow to the rib cage, neck, face, whatever.

You keep bringing up calls but then expect us to not refute with a bad call pro-Butler? The amount of no-calls in the beginning compared with the absurd amount of touch-fould late were terrible. Overall, I hated the way the refs took care of the game. Duke got some calls, but to say that without acknowledging that Butler got as many, if not more, is just proving your ridiculous anti-Duke bias.

Eldorado

Reaction score
peplaw06;3335600 said:
Thanks ABQ!! I know it was a tough year... and while I did have some fun ribbing all my Tar Heel friends, it was pretty disappointing for the rivalry to take that step down this year. Here's to both teams being great next year. Though, I hope we're greater... :D

If Singler and Smith stay in school, I think them the Plumlees, Dawkins and Seth Curry will be a force next year. Sure hope so, cause Harrison Barnes looks like the real deal, and that's not to mention the rest of your incoming frosh.
Don't forget about Kyrie Irving. I expect this kid to have a major impact on our squad next year. And the forgotten man is Ryan Kelly... he didn't have a spot on this team because frankly he was the 5th best big man on the team (behind Z, Lance, and the Plumlees)... but when this kid bulks up and matures, watch out. He was a 5-star recuit.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
How is it though that Zoubek can get 3 or 4 fouls in the space of 10 minutes but none the other 30?

I thought they changed the rule this year so you cannot take a charge under the basket the way Zoubek and Scheyer did in the Baylor/Butler games respectively. They were huge plays for sure.

Dook had an easy road to the Final, a nice draw but they won when it counted. After UNC dominated the ACC for the last five years and NCAA with two championhips, it was Dook's turn

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I watched just about every game in the tournament, and I can say with confidence that the officiating was absolutely horrendous in every single game.

I think basketball officiating gets it wrong overwhelmingly more than football or baseball.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Anyone that cries that Duke got more calls should be lashed Butler shot way more free throws oh and how did Howard get 4 quick fouls then go like 10 minute with out another one

Both teams had guys in foul trouble

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3337078 said:
How is it though that Zoubek can get 3 or 4 fouls in the space of 10 minutes but none the other 30?
Probably the same way Matt Howard gets 4 fouls in 10 minutes and none the other.

I thought they changed the rule this year so you cannot take a charge under the basket the way Zoubek and Scheyer did in the Baylor/Butler games respectively. They were huge plays for sure.
Apparently, you thought wrong. Those plays were no bigger than the bad calls the other way.

Dook had an easy road to the Final, a nice draw but they won when it counted. After UNC dominated the ACC for the last five years and NCAA with two championhips, it was Dook's turn
ummmm... how was it easy? Because they won it all?? Unless I am mistaken they beat the teams who beat Syracuse and Kentucky, and they beat the team who beat the team who beat the team that beat Kansas.

Or are you just pissy because UNC choked in the NIT? Talk about an easy draw... William & Mary, Mississippi State, UAB and Dayton... and they couldn't get it done.

Cry me a river.

Eldorado

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3337078 said:

You epitomize the moronic Duke haters. Not only does your post make you look silly, you put a pretty little bow on your ignore-list-add with the last paragraph.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Even the CBS announcers back on Selection Sunday said Dook had the easiest bracket. Kansas was the top overall seed and they had a brutal bracket. It was a benefit to Dook. Only a Dookie would not agree with that statement.

To say well they beat the teams that beat this or that school etc is silly because that is like saying well No Iowa >>> Kansas because they beat them. Everyone would prefer to play No Iowa than Kansas. Just like it is obvious Kentucky would have been a tougher match up for Dook than West Virginia whose point guard was injured.

Dook won when it counted and beat who they faced.

As for Howard not getting fouls the other 30, he was on the bench most of the game. Zoubek wasn't.

Heels won two of the previous five. They had a down year, it happens. Dook is losing three starters and possibly a fourth if Singler is smart and goes pro. After the tournament he had, he should leave early, his stock will not go up (and yes I thought Hansbrough should have gone after his junior year too). Smith is staying and you still will have the Plumlee boys, along with Dawkins and Curry the transfer plus some others coming in. Still though Dook will lose a lot this year, not as much as the Heels the year before, but quite a bit.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
peplaw06;3337409 said:

Apparently, you thought wrong. Those plays were no bigger than the bad calls the other way.

Of course they were bigger than others. The bad charge call took a possible three off the board from Butler, which was the difference in the game.

The Baylor charge would have put Zoubek out of the game and given Baylor a bigger lead, and been going to the foul line.

You do not have to defend the Dookies to the death you know. You can admit those calls were two that could have gone either way but both of which went the Dookie way. Hell even CBS announcers which were pro Dook said those were bad calls.

Anyway, 2 championships and 3 FF since beginning of 2004-2005 season >>> 1 FF and 1 championship since 2004-2005

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3337655 said:
Even the CBS announcers back on Selection Sunday said Dook had the easiest bracket. Kansas was the top overall seed and they had a brutal bracket. It was a benefit to Dook. Only a Dookie would not agree with that statement.
Kansas may have had a brutal draw, but they didn't get to the brutal part. Duke played much tougher foes than Kansas lost to.

To say well they beat the teams that beat this or that school etc is silly because that is like saying well No Iowa >>> Kansas because they beat them. Everyone would prefer to play No Iowa than Kansas. Just like it is obvious Kentucky would have been a tougher match up for Dook than West Virginia whose point guard was injured.
It's not silly. Aside from the 16 seeds, the other one seeds played the following teams: Northern Iowa, Gonzaga, Butler, Wake Forest, Cornell and West Virginia. Not exactly a murderer's row. It is not Duke's fault Villanova couldn't beat St. Mary's. And, as a one seed, Duke played the highest possible seed in each round except for Baylor (3), West Virgina (2) and Butler (5). I'm pretty confident in saying Baylor was the best 3 seed out there.

Kentucky may have been a tougher match up, maybe not. But Kentucky couldn't take care of their business. Duke blew out the team they couldn't beat.

As for Howard not getting fouls the other 30, he was on the bench most of the game. Zoubek wasn't.
Yet he played the last 10 minutes or so without a foul. And that includes the bail out call by the refs when they called Singler for a walk when Howard blocked him.

Heels won two of the previous five. They had a down year, it happens.
NIT's don't "happen." Not at Duke anyway.

Dook is losing three starters and possibly a fourth if Singler is smart and goes pro. After the tournament he had, he should leave early, his stock will not go up (and yes I thought Hansbrough should have gone after his junior year too). Smith is staying and you still will have the Plumlee boys, along with Dawkins and Curry the transfer plus some others coming in. Still though Dook will lose a lot this year, not as much as the Heels the year before, but quite a bit.
I don't know what Singler will do, but I have a feeling he'll go. I do think his stock stand to go up with another big year. As of now he's probably a late first to second rounder.

CanadianCowboysFan;3337663 said:
Of course they were bigger than others. The bad charge call took a possible three off the board from Butler, which was the difference in the game.
It's only bigger because you hate Duke, and you wanted them to lose. I thought the calls in favor of Butler were bigger. It's a matter of bias, not "of course."

The Baylor charge would have put Zoubek out of the game and given Baylor a bigger lead, and been going to the foul line.
We've been over and over this. Zoubek left the game 2 minutes later and got one rebound in the meantime. And Baylor lost their lead and regained it another time after that call. That call was not a "turning point," unless you're a Duke hater. And it certainly was not an egregious call.

You do not have to defend the Dookies to the death you know. You can admit those calls were two that could have gone either way but both of which went the Dookie way. Hell even CBS announcers which were pro Dook said those were bad calls.
And you don't have to whine about every call you think was in Duke's favor. I've admitted the calls could have gone either way... as it seems you are saying. If they could go either way, that doesn't sound like a "bad call." I think Clark Kellogg was in agreement with the Zoubek charge against Baylor and not on Scheyer's v. Butler.

Anyway, 2 championships and 3 FF since beginning of 2004-2005 season >>> 1 FF and 1 championship since 2004-2005
Sure, you pick your arbitrary starting point, and I'll pick mine. Past 20 years, we have 4 titles, you have 3.

Our current coach has 4, yours has 2.

Eldorado

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3337655 said:

Dook won when it counted and beat who they faced.

Heels won two of the previous five. They had a down year, it happens. Dook is losing three starters and possibly a fourth if Singler is smart and goes pro. After the tournament he had, he should leave early, his stock will not go up (and yes I thought Hansbrough should have gone after his junior year too). Smith is staying and you still will have the Plumlee boys, along with Dawkins and Curry the transfer plus some others coming in. Still though Dook will lose a lot this year, not as much as the Heels the year before, but quite a bit.
You're so ridiculous I doubt a post this ridiculous even warrants a response, but here it goes.

Neil Paine at the relatively new College Basketball at Sports-Reference site takes a statistical look at Duke's path to the title. It is pretty long and uses some real "dork poll analysis", but I think as long as you have the info that (SRS) stands for Standard Rating System and is a basic metric that uses point differential and schedule strength to rank teams you should be set.

He looks at the last 30 national champs and compares things in a couple of different ways, but the take home message is that Duke 2010's path was neither easy nor hard but just about in the middle of the pack (roughly 13th). An interesting side note is that no matter which of the three ways that he looks at it 2009 UNC's path was easier than 2010 Duke.
smile.gif

I know that rational things like "math" don't combat most of the irrational Duke hate out there, but I like numbers and found a quantitative look at Duke's path to the 2010 title quite interesting.

DFWJC

Reaction score
peplaw06;3337829 said:
Past 20 years, we have 4 titles, you have 3.

Our current coach has 4, yours has 2.
bastids

Really, no matter where the starting point is, the company is pretty strong--we are talking two of the top 5 or 6 all-time best programs.
In no particular order
Kentucky, UCLA, UNC ,Duke, Kansas, Syracuse, Indiana....

Some of the other programs can say they've had more than one coach win a title and that the program transcends the coach. But no objective person can deny Coach K's greatness....imo.