Marinelli and ST Coach are the biggest issue with this team

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think JJ is loathe to fire any coach, because that is akin to admitting that he made a mistake in hiring them in the first place...

Jerry needs to realize we all make them but the good leaders correct them asap. Goes for players and coaches.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there might be a disconnect between what the DL is doing and what Richard is doing on the back end, but IMO it's suspect to blame Marinelli for the secondary's issues. Further, Richard didn't blitz much when he was calling plays in Seattle.

He's very overrated by people here.

I don't blame Marinelli for the secondary's obvious issues. But what I rightly blame him for are the clear issues his 'Rushmen' schemes create. It all starts upfront, and when your defensive line is bad against the run, and doesn't get sufficient pass rush? That hurts the entire rest of the defense. Marinelli and his antiquated schemes are finished in this league, and would have already been gone in any organization that prioritized accountability over feelings.

But I'm not campaigning to keep anyone on the defensive staff. But I am, have been, and continue to call for. Marinelli to be gone.

Aven8

Reaction score
I don't blame Marinelli for the secondary's obvious issues. But what I rightly blame him for are the clear issues his 'Rushmen' schemes create. It all starts upfront, and when your defensive line is bad against the run, and doesn't get sufficient pass rush? That hurts the entire rest of the defense. Marinelli and his antiquated schemes are finished in this league, and would have already been gone in any organization that prioritized accountability over feelings.

But I'm not campaigning to keep anyone on the defensive staff. But I am, have been, and continue to call for. Marinelli to be gone.

The stunts are killing the interior and McVay exposed it last year in the playoffs. Let the Cowboys run themselves out of the play, and either step up in pocket, or gash them on the draw.

Sydla

Reaction score

I blame Marinelli for the the rush men schemes, which are largely aimed to get after the QB. I blame Richard for the fact the defensive back 7 plays soft, very vanilla pass defense. That's his responsibility. He's done a crappy job at it. As Aikman said, we play a lot of single high safety and teams know it and exploit it........... that's on Richard.

He's as culpable for this defense as Marinelli. I don't see any value in trying to give him less of the blame.

quickccc

Reaction score
The Bear defense with Peanut and Urlacher led the league in TO’s for like 3 years straight.

- those Bear teams had ball hawks, people that could create turnovers - how long have we've been trying to do so ?

- But despite what some prefer to think of Marinelli's title or supposed control over the entire defense which includes the back seven, he has no control over DBs
that cannot turn their heads to make plays on the ball, or DBs that cannot make forced fumbles or INTs. turnovers, his real responsibilities and tasks are reduced down
to handling the front four, run defense gap scheme and the pass rush....and how have those areas worked out lately for Marinelli ?

- and not only does he flat out effects how we play defense, how limited and vulnerable we are playing defense, and he flat effects how we draft and try to acquire DL talent.

quickccc

Reaction score
The stunts are killing the interior and McVay exposed it last year in the playoffs. Let the Cowboys run themselves out of the play, and either step up in pocket, or gash them on the draw.

it actually was already being exposed before the Rams game, but like a volcano it boiled, built up and finally erupted at it's absolute Dante Peak in the Rams game.
and Cowboys answer to bring back the same starting DT duo status quo,.. get yet another cheap bargain based vet JAG in Covington and draft a raw rookie 2nd round pick
who has been game inactive most of the year and only allowed to play per injury.
We put ourselves back in a position to fail all over again - because we insisted on the basically the same coach, same players all over again.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Marinelli and Quinn are Garrett’s staff.

what are we gonna do? Fire all assistant coaches but Garrett? We already tried that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And nothing's changed. In fact, teams are now exploiting it with their mobile quarterbacks every time we face them. Anyone fail to notice how often Allen and Trubisky were breaking outside contain against this undisciplined scheme? How did our $20 million man look against Trubisky and a backup right tackle?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I blame Marinelli for the the rush men schemes, which are largely aimed to get after the QB. I blame Richard for the fact the defensive back 7 plays soft, very vanilla pass defense. That's his responsibility. He's done a crappy job at it. As Aikman said, we play a lot of single high safety and teams know it and exploit it........... that's on Richard.

He's as culpable for this defense as Marinelli. I don't see any value in trying to give him less of the blame.

The only 'less blame' I give him is for the blame on playcalls. He's still calling plays out of the Marinelli playbook. That and the obvious fact that defensive issues start up front and go from there.

But Richard can follow Marinelli out the door as far as I'm concerned, as long as Old Man River is leading the way.

ondaedg

Reaction score
You guys can bash Garrett all you want, but Marinelli and the special teams coach are the single biggest problems this team has now as constructed.

While we are at it, Richard is probably next in line for blame, but it’s hard to tell for sure with the crazy organization structure.

Garrett is actually going to get scapegoated here this year because of his assistants. Like Alannis Morissette once said, “It’s a little bit ironic”....

Jason Garrett: “We are not a team that plays a zillion different coverages, a zillion different fronts, a zillion different pressures. A lot of teams approach it that way. We believe in being more fundamentally sound by doing a handful of things in our coverages, in our fronts, in our pressures.”

“We believe it’s hard to execute at a high level when you have too much stuff on defense, but we do believe we have a variety of things to complement each other. Once the ball is snapped, we are going to rely on executing at a high level.”

Welp there goes your theory that Garrett is some innocent victim being setup to fail by Marinelli and he has no control over the play of his defense.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The entire coaching structure needs to be rebooted. It starts with a strong head coach who has a vision of what success looks like. The "process" has been about Garret trying to figure out how to win in this league and its clearly not going to happen. Some men just aren't capable of it.

Aven8

Reaction score
it actually was already being exposed before the Rams game, but like a volcano it boiled, built up and finally erupted at it's absolute Dante Peak in the Rams game.
and Cowboys answer to bring back the same starting DT duo status quo,.. get yet another cheap bargain based vet JAG in Covington and draft a raw rookie 2nd round pick
who has been game inactive most of the year and only allowed to play per injury.
We put ourselves back in a position to fail all over again - because we insisted on the basically the same coach, same players all over again.

That’s why I would be intrigued with Rivera at DC. He loves him some stout DT’s.

quickccc

Reaction score

- Aikman seems to be on target right about how we play and present defense to the opponents. that question was brought to Garrett and he responded with " how we want to keep it simple and
avoid mental mistakes, have less confusion, maintain discipline "
" We want to place the biggest emphasis there and between the 20's hashes, the hope is come up with a big play sack or turnover or 3rd down stop in between that time. "

- that's philosophy of the bend don't break defense, although Richard will blitz more than what typical Marinelli past defenses here prefer to do, but problem is his blitz- designs and packages just
don't successfully hit home to the QBs. Another part that I thought would lead to bigger exploits was Richard's preference for bigger CBs and a more press-jam coverage scheme,
But mosy of our CBs seem over their heads and the lack of ball hawk skills still leads to lapses in coverage and big plays for opponent in a couple points of a game.

- And this is a downhill defense that depends on being more fresher, depends more on movement - quickness vs bigger physical brawn and playing to the lead of the offense, which includes playing with
an lead ahead score and run-ball control . It's been like that for too long, imo.
We want to play straight up without a lot of disguised coverages, on the line fronting, confusing pre-snap looks, and it's not working and I do believe as well that teams can easily
get better clues and leads on what we are doing- especially among up front seven, imo

- and as a result , we get worn down, our overall tackling gets that much more sloppy, we were already easy to fool and misdirect with a questionable discipline, as the game goes on,
we give up more and more plays, cannot get teams off field, get more untimely flags, continue some bizarre substitutions at the wrong time and area of a game, and more and more
we are losing flat losing confidence, getting frustrated and discouraged, and I hate to say, we seem to be giving up - that's the ultimate losing mentality.

and once your players begin giving up on you and stop fighting, clawing and competiting, you're flat done as coaches.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jason Garrett: “We are not a team that plays a zillion different coverages, a zillion different fronts, a zillion different pressures. A lot of teams approach it that way. We believe in being more fundamentally sound by doing a handful of things in our coverages, in our fronts, in our pressures.”

“We believe it’s hard to execute at a high level when you have too much stuff on defense, but we do believe we have a variety of things to complement each other. Once the ball is snapped, we are going to rely on executing at a high level.”

Welp there goes your theory that Garrett is some innocent victim being setup to fail by Marinelli and he has no control over the play of his defense.

As a followup question, I'd like to ask Garrett, "does your defense look 'fundamentally sound' to you?"
:huh:

quickccc

Reaction score
That’s why I would be intrigued with Rivera at DC. He loves him some stout DT’s.

I'm also looking for that coach that can stress and heavily emphasize gang-swarming and stripping, punching the ball out of ball carrier or receivers hands/arms.
whether its an upper cut (peanut -punch) fumble strip or over hand slap ball away (which Pats D" have tremendous knack with that) Richard has tried to reach these players
with this, but they have not responded to him.

and while I agree with getting more bigger, stout interior DT's, Rivera or whomever will need a new influx of players who are better ball hawks than this current group.
He wont get it in Jaylon in coverage, but the Awuzie, Anthony brown, Heath, Jones are going to have to be gradually replace over the next two years. 3 of these I expect to be gone per FA.
So both FA and draft is gonna be vital to replacing them.

ondaedg

Reaction score
As a followup question, I'd like to ask Garrett, "does your defense look 'fundamentally sound' to you?"
:huh:

And Garrett pushing for simplicity on offense and defense is why week after week he is outschemed over and over. Never seen a guy defend bringing a knife to a gunfight like Garrett does.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And Garrett pushing for simplicity on offense and defense is why week after week he is outschemed over and over. Never seen a guy defend bringing a knife to a gunfight like Garrett does.

As I like to call him, the 'anti-Belichick'.

Let's do the exact opposite of what the most successful coach in NFL history does and see how that works it?

CWR

Reaction score
You guys can bash Garrett all you want, but Marinelli and the special teams coach are the single biggest problems this team has now as constructed.

While we are at it, Richard is probably next in line for blame, but it’s hard to tell for sure with the crazy organization structure.

Garrett is actually going to get scapegoated here this year because of his assistants. Like Alannis Morissette once said, “It’s a little bit ironic”....

I agree they are our biggest problems, but cant get with JG being scapegoated. He's had a decade to implement his process. It didn't work.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Here is where I do blame Garrett. If Marinelli and the special teams coach were to blame (and I am not saying that they are not). Why does Garrett not talk to Jerry seeing as to how he had the old man's ear on this? He is the HC isn't he? We can claim that he is a puppet but am I to understand that he couldn't even tell Jerry that, hey your defense is getting run over like an infant in a riot. Sure he could have held off from saying anything when Indy did that. What happened when the Rams did it last year? Or Any of the times it's happened this year? Nothing? How many years has the Special Teams been terrible and this man has said nothing?