Twitter: Marinelli: Expects Spencer to play; Crawford moving to DT this week

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nick Eatman ‏@nickeatman 54s
Rod Marinelli says he expects Anthony spencer to play Sunday night vs New Orleans

Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 1m
Tyrone Crawford is working at DT with Henry Melton and Terrell McClain injured. Rod Marinelli says he's "excited" about Crawford inside.
Rod Marinelli says "no guarantee," but he's planning on Anthony Spencer playing vs. Saints.

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 1m
Rod Marinelli on Cowboys not getting enough sacks: "No question, it's a concern. It's been well addressed."
Anthony Spencer playing Sunday? Rod Marinelli: "As far as I know, yeah."

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spencer, please be healthy enough to put real pressure on the quarterback.
Spencer, please be healthy enough to put real pressure on the quarterback...

elcowboi

Reaction score
The Boys need all the help they can get on the d line. They need to pressure Brees the whole game.

tm1119

Reaction score
I wouldn't have too high of hopes for Spencer in his 1st NFL game in a long time. If he can get out there for 15 snaps without set backs I'll be happy. He'll have to be eased into the lineup, and even then you don't know what kind of explosiveness he will have.

poost

Reaction score
So Melton and TMcClain will both be out or limited? Any news on RoMc?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So how does this work with Crawford? Does he lose his nickname? Does he get a new one? What?

Rod Marinelli.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's nice that Spencer is going to play. I have no expectations even if he does. Hopefully the advancement of medicine allows him a chance to be productive again.

jday

Reaction score
Spencer, please be healthy enough to put real pressure on the quarterback...

The key point here is Crawford at 3 tech. Crawford is ideal for this role. Matched up 1 on 1 with a guard, he should be able to disrupt the pocket and force Brees to make plays on the move. This will be the key to shutting down the Saints offense.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I wouldn't have too high of hopes for Spencer in his 1st NFL game in a long time. If he can get out there for 15 snaps without set backs I'll be happy. He'll have to be eased into the lineup, and even then you don't know what kind of explosiveness he will have.

Exactly!

slick325

Reaction score

Agreed. I'm glad to know he is progressing well and that he is back. However, he hasn't played in over a year so there will be some rust that needs to come off. Getting him back as early as Game 4 is a good thing, barring any setbacks or new injuries, Spencer could be very helpful in the home stretch. Add whatever Demarcus Lawrence brings and the later part of the season could be decent for the pass rush.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. I'm glad to know he is progressing well and that he is back. However, he hasn't played in over a year so there will be some rust that needs to come off. Getting him back as early as Game 4 is a good thing, barring any setbacks or new injuries, Spencer could be very helpful in the home stretch. Add whatever Demarcus Lawrence brings and the later part of the season could be decent for the pass rush.

That's Spencer's career sack line when he's been healthy. People around here assume he's the 11 sack guy and boy just wait until he comes back. If he can be healthy, look out. But more evidence points to a 5 or 6 sacks guy which makes him a very marginal pressure player on a defense and a terrible first option pressure player.

Then you add in the injury.

Honestly, I don't even care that he's back. That's how little I expect.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's Spencer's career sack line when he's been healthy. People around here assume he's the 11 sack guy and boy just wait until he comes back. If he can be healthy, look out. But more evidence points to a 5 or 6 sacks guy which makes him a very marginal pressure player on a defense and a terrible first option pressure player.

Then you add in the injury.

Honestly, I don't even care that he's back. That's how little I expect.
Nobody's expecting him to be Ware-lite, but outside of Melton, he's the most established guy they have on the DL. Currently, the DL as a group has a .5 sack. If he can provide anything that will get them a whole sack, then I say his return is a success.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Nobody's expecting him to be Ware-lite, but outside of Melton, he's the most established guy they have on the DL. Currently, the DL as a group has a .5 sack. If he can provide anything that will get them a whole sack, then I say his return is a success.

True and lets not forget in the 3-4 he was being asked to drop into coverage on many snaps as a DE in the 4-3 he will not be dropping into coverage

dbonham

Reaction score
Anything we get out of Spencer is obviously gravy, he could easily suck all year or get hurt after a series. If he's out there playing decently for limited snaps that lets the other guys take a breather which is important for any DL.