Marinelli May deserve an apology from some here

Big_D

Reaction score
His D was crap. A group with no balls or confidence who will no doubt give up whatever it is the opposing offense needed in a clutch situation. 4th and 24? here's 25. lol Can't buy a turnover and an absolute embarrassing run defense. Sure most of it was Jerry's fault. His handling of the D has been a joke. But Marinelli and his philosophy combined with Garrett were pure garbage. He was a dumazz hire in the first place. Clutch D, maybe we'll actually see it someday? I know it wasn't happening as long as he was here.

Last edited:

JayFord

Reaction score
I never look at stats i look at the eye test and that pass rush wasnt great last year it wasn’t horrendous but it was average and that run defense was pathetic

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
There are two issues. One, the corners played a lot of off coverage. So even if the d line wins, the ball can come out quickly if the corners aren't playing close to the receivers. The second issue is Marinelli coaching the players to "stop the run on the way to the qb." This prioritizes getting upfield as quickly as possible, which would result in a better pass rush win rate, at the expense of the dt's often getting washed out of plays in the run game.

Dre11

Reaction score
If you had any credibility, I might feel inclined to respond more. But you don't...………………….AND you basically got your stones handed to you by the rest of the board already on this thread.

but you did respond...lol again, to think he was the only one who picked the players on defense is asinine, but then again it is you.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marinelli had to work with peanuts for a cap on the defense and still had us top 10 pretty much years in year out.
Another long line of whipping boys to excuse our ineptness on offense!
Kellen be ready as you're the next excuse, whipping boy coach!

The thing is....we invested in defense on draft day. It's a fallacy that we never invested in our defense. We did......maybe we reached...or did projects. I can't speak for the way our team decided on drafts....I was not in on those conversations. Just being duds....doesn't tell the whole story. We drafted some very talented kids...who decided to not invest back in us/

kumizi

Reaction score
I hate him for Taco and Trysten.

I dont think he was a terrible coach. People always want to run coaches out of town and hype up the new coaches. Rinse repeat.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
To act like he wasn't part of the ongoing problem with the team is laughable. He deserves no apology what so ever.

Lets remember that you are talking to the poster that thought Garrett was a great Coach and hailed him for 10 years.

Dre11 is one of the, if not the least qualified poster to comment on coaching on this forum.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
and that's on the player not finishing, the scheme got him there, they have to finish.
I kinda disagree somewhat about that. When you say the scheme got them there and they didn't finish is partially true. DLAW, QUINN , BENNETT, have high level talent. So it makes sense on talent and technique alone they would get pressure, its not necessarily scheme doing that. Scheming involves trying to get your best player in 1 on 1 matchups or getting someone free. But when you have the 3 I mentioned above on the field at the same time rushing the passer then one of those guys (specifically Quinn or Dlaw) is going to get 1 on 1 and then do there thing regardless of scheme because they are that talented. Now say Jeff Heath is always getting a free run at the QB when he blitzes or TY Crawford manages to get 7-8 sacks that would tell me that the scheme is working because his talent level isn't 7-8 sacks, he's just a jag. Schemes maximize the potential of the players in them ( or they should). So saying the scheme got players there and they didn't finish isn't necessarily all true. Just my opinion, we can agree to disagree.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Lets remember that you are talking to the poster that thought Garrett was a great Coach and hailed him for 10 years.

Dre11 is one of the, if not the least qualified poster to comment on coaching on this forum.
I believe @Dre11 is a coach. Like a paid and real football coach.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember this being made public.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I believe @Dre11 is a coach. Like a paid and real football coach.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember this being made public.

LOL...……………....for an 0-12 team? Never seen anyone so bad an football analysis.

Merinelli needs an apology and Garrett is a great coach? Maybe he has a soft spot in his heart for coaches and that clouds his ability to figure things out.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
LOL...……………....for an 0-12 team? Never seen anyone so bad an football analysis.

Merinelli needs an apology and Garrett is a great coach? Maybe he has a soft spot in his heart for coaches and that clouds his ability to figure things out.
Maybe.
I'm only talking from my, admittedly, sketchy memory of previous posts.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Just heard on 105 3 the fan RJ choppy quote a stat that said the Cowboys pass rush win rate what's 53% which ranked number one in the league. For those who adore Analytics and stats, by this Marinelli may be owed an apology.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...s-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

That stat is only win rate and nothing else and is just a small part of analyzing a defense overall. Marinelli’s defense is old and predictable and thank goodness it’s in another city now.

Valkyr

Reaction score
My apology to Rod:

get

Fredbeard

Reaction score
Tell you what op, I apologize to rod if you can finally admit that Garrett was a failure as a head coach during his tenure here.

Fredbeard

Reaction score
Honestly , I dont understand the point of this thread. ROD IS NO LONGER WITH THE COWBOYS. THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!. He was a mediocre defensive coordinator whose defense often failed against the better offenses in the league. The overwhelming majority of the fan base incessantly hyped and apologized for Rod during his tenure with the cowboys.the only thing I will offer marinelli is well wishes during his time with the Raiders . I have no animosity towards marinelli but I'm sure glad he is gone