Marinelli May deserve an apology from some here

Portnoy1

Reaction score
ok and? Quinn wasn't a good run stopper to begin with, Stephen Jones failed to land McCoy last season according to McCoy himself instead went out and signed a bunch of fillers on 1 year deals.
Now Quinn I definitely agree is a one trick pony and I think the staff did what they could and lived with results of him only looking to rush. Outside if that I think Marinellis scheme is to prevent big plays and sacrifice TOs

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
ok and? Quinn wasn't a good run stopper to begin with, Stephen Jones failed to land McCoy last season according to McCoy himself instead went out and signed a bunch of fillers on 1 year deals.

He should have recognized that and made adjustments to the defense. But he was another "We do what we do" guy just like Garrett.

Dre11

Reaction score
He should have recognized that and made adjustments to the defense. But he was another "We do what we do" guy just like Garrett.

what adjustment? smart one. Quinn is who he is, they had no replacement for him. everybody screams adjustments, you have to have players that can help you adjust.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
what adjustment? smart one. Quinn is who he is, they had no replacement for him. everybody screams adjustments, you have to have players that can help you adjust.
There are different ways to adjust. He's done it before but not to often. I remember against the chiefs he made an adjustment and started slanting the line man to stop there runs up the middle and it worked. However I don't see that to often and I don't see too many "creative " blitzes. If you're going to blitz don't send a 5th just to send him. Mike Zimmer (aka football Jesus) uses several blitzes but specifically double A gap blitz to get the center to think. I don't see stuff like that from Marinelli.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score

quickccc

Reaction score
because it speaks to sacks isn't all you think they are. thats been explained a milluon times

it means we led the league in "Almost Anthony's " .. and only got a couple feet close to the QB while he was throwing it downfield
.or after he's already thrown the ball.

And imagine what that sack total would be if we didn't have Quinn as a pass rusher and his 11 sacks in 14 games. ?

Dre11

Reaction score
There are different ways to adjust. He's done it before but not to often. I remember against the chiefs he made an adjustment and started slanting the line man to stop there runs up the middle and it worked. However I don't see that to often and I don't see too many "creative " blitzes. If you're going to blitz don't send a 5th just to send him. Mike Zimmer (aka football Jesus) uses several blitzes but specifically double A gap blitz to get the center to think. I don't see stuff like that from Marinelli.

with our secondary play, you're not blitzing . Zimmer's secondary allows him to blitz aggressively, you have to know your team, not all teams have the personnel to handle blitzing. what you saw in 2019 is Zimmer stopped blitzing as much once Xavier Rhodes and secondary started to struggle. they ranked 27th at 22.05% and we were 29th at 21.01% San Fran at 30th.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sorry Rod, that you couldn't adjust and be any less predictable.

DetailedAdvancedCutworm-size_restricted.gif

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I never hated Rod, I don't think his defense were bad but it did not produce the turnovers nor was it great in getting sacks.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
I'll bite. His defense didn't really get TOs but it did limit bigger plays (to a degree). Since you seem to feel he is not an issue do you blame the players or Richard's play calling/input for what happened? Not trying to start a fight like some dudes, I just disagree and I want to understand a little more if your viewpoint especially since it's not a common one.

Dre11

Reaction score
in any scheme especially defense, when a player is out of position it more than likely cause the entire defense to breakdown, so yes I blame the players. the same defense in 2018 played very good football with the same coaches, with a few changes and injuries the following year it fell off.

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
I'll bite. His defense didn't really get TOs but it did limit bigger plays (to a degree). Since you seem to feel he is not an issue do you blame the players or Richard's play calling/input for what happened? Not trying to start a fight like some dudes, I just disagree and I want to understand a little more if your viewpoint especially since it's not a common one.

You also talk about his defense not getting turnovers, he led a defense in Chicago that had a league best 44 takeaways in a season, it's not like he doesn't know how to get them. but once again it has to be the mindset of the players and you must have players that has the skills to take the ball away.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
You also talk about his defense not getting turnovers, he led a defense in Chicago that had a league best 44 takeaways in a season, it's not like he doesn't know how to get them. but once again it has to be the mindset of the players and you must have players that has the skills to take the ball away.

Okays that cool, I still disagree , but I follow what you're saying about the players. So that's cool!