Twitter: Marinelli: Trysten Hill is "regressing"

Zordon

Reaction score
All it took was watching a couple of interviews to see Hill was immature. How the hell do you go through the entire draft process and not know that?

Replacing Jerry and Stephen will always be my #1 offseason wish but the next highest priority for me has to be getting Rod Marinelli out of that building.
The character evals have been atrocious. Something is broke there. Maybe we need to hire a new firm to do the background checks. I don't think Marinelli is the sole issue.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The character evals have been atrocious. Something is broke there. Maybe we need to hire a new firm to do the background checks. I don't think Marinelli is the sole issue.

"Sole issue"? No. Nobody is solely responsible for anything that happens around here. But it's undeniable that Marinelli has played a huge role in who has been added, retained, and subtracted from this defensive line. And his results have been abysmal.

Zordon

Reaction score
From my Nebraska insiders...there was a reason why Frost wouldn't allow him to transfer with him to Lincoln. He never directly told him no but implied, in so many words, that his best path to the draft was to stay the course @ UCF. He wanted no part in this dude and, from what I heard, declined to give him a ringing endorsement when said NFL team was on the horn. Frost is no dummy...unlike our boy Rod.
@stasheroo

This is why I believe there is something additional that is broken in the system. Frost won't vouch...how was this not red flagged during the background check? Marinelli shouldn't have even had the opportunity to fall in love with him because Hill should have been removed from the draft board if they were doing their due diligence.

Sydla

Reaction score

I get the Gregory pick. That guy was a legitimate Top 10 talent. I can see taking that risk in the 2nd round.

But Taco and Hill? Neither was that great a raw talent to overcome any character issues.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@stasheroo

This is why I believe there is something additional that is broken in the system. Frost won't vouch...how was this not red flagged during the background check? Marinelli shouldn't have even had the opportunity to fall in love with him because Hill should have been removed from the draft board if they were doing their due diligence.

That doesn't add up to me because from what I've read, Frost talked to Marinelli and helped to seal the deal on drafting Hill.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
When you go to bat for guys like Hill - and Taco - you are and should be held accountable for it. All of the talk about Tampa Bay and Chicago is irrelevant at this point. Ancient history. He should be judged by what he's done here, and that's certainly deserving of being fired.
I don't care one way or another if he's fired. I'm just saying that he'll be this year's scapegoat, as if it's his fault the team didn't have a better year.

And while I don't particularly care if he's gone or not, I do think he's done a solid enough job here for the most part. His entire tenure here he hasn't had nearly the talent that the offense has. Not even close.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't care one way or another if he's fired. I'm just saying that he'll be this year's scapegoat, as if it's his fault the team didn't have a better year.

At least one year too late. He should have followed Linehan out the door. I remember people trying to defend Linehan too. Not so much now...

And when the defensive line is the biggest disappointment, under his charge, shouldn't he be held accountable?

And while I don't particularly care if he's gone or not, I do think he's done a solid enough job here for the most part. His entire tenure here he hasn't had nearly the talent that the offense has. Not even close.

But those he has had a hand in acquiring have been terrible. When quality resources have been put into the defensive line - Marinelli's claim to fame - the results have been poor.

I can go through a litany of names.

Brax

Reaction score
Fire Rod Marinelli.

Taco and Hill were 'his guys' and he should hang for it.

But I can see it already. The gold watch, the unceasing platitudes and praises, and Marinelli 'retiring' after the season, when everyone with a functioning set of eyes knows he was fired. Heck, they couldn't even bring themselves to tell the truth about firing Linehan.
you mean SL was fired!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you mean SL was fired!

Keep that on the down-low. The organization will lie and say it was "mutual". I guess the rest of the league feels "mutually" the same way as nobody will touch that clown.
;)

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Where's the "Give him more time, it's too early to call him a bust!" crowd right now? :popcorn:

Zordon

Reaction score

If the coaches had one more year on their deals, I'd agree with you about them scapegoating Marinelli. But I just can't see it because it would require Jerry giving Garrett and his entire staff new deals. I think Jerry is set on nipping this Garrett experiment in the bud if they don't make noise in the playoffs.

Zordon

Reaction score
That doesn't add up to me because from what I've read, Frost talked to Marinelli and helped to seal the deal on drafting Hill.
Ok if that's true then the Cowboys need to be less gullible. Although, I will say that most serious HC's in CFB tell the truth about their players to maintain good relationships with NFL teams.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I think Jerry is set on nipping this Garrett experiment in the bud if they don't make noise in the playoffs.
I'm not so sure. I think he'll look for any and every excuse to keep Garrett.

But believe me, I hope you're right.

slick325

Reaction score
That is completely made up nonsense.

Frost offered him the transfer. The new UCF HC Heupel denied the transfer.

You're correct @xwalker.

https://www.sportsmediapass.com/2019/01/13/ucf-2018-season-post-mortem/

"Heupel deserves a lot of credit. He was able to limit the amount of disruption while starting to integrate his philosophy into the program. Attrition was surprisingly light. Backup quarterback Noah Vedral left to return to his home state of Nebraska, which didn’t surprise anyone. Other players like Trysten Hill tried to follow, but the school was able to block the transfers. Vedral was willing to drop his scholarship to go to Nebraska. Other players were not. This helped keep the roster largely intact."

Shout out to @waldoputty for posting that on May 2, 2019.

HungryLion

Reaction score

His defenses have also been the primary reason for the lack of playoff success.

they haven’t even been mediocre in the playoffs. They get destroyed in the playoffs. Consistently. All they had to do was be “ok” and we would
Have been in an NFC title game already.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
My question for the scouting community here - is it possible with Hill, that they took him, but ala Williams - knew he would have to spend a year learning and an off-season getting bigger and stronger to actually play ? I know that sounds stupid with him being a 2nd round pick, but could that be the case here all along. It seems to be working for Williams quite nicely - Hill, who the hell knows. So, kinda sounds really head scratching that they would take this guy - if that was the plan. But could we see a bigger, stronger Hill next year - by design ?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
His defenses have also been the primary reason for the lack of playoff success.

they haven’t even been mediocre in the playoffs. They get destroyed in the playoffs. Consistently. All they had to do was be “ok” and we would
Have been in an NFC title game already.
Again, I'm not some huge Marinelli fan. I don't think it would hurt anything to fire him.

But the 2014 team had very little talent on defense, And yes, the 2016 team got down 21-3... but to me, that little number on the right side is just as bad as the 21, especially against an average defense that got run through the next week at Atlanta. Looks to me like the entire team wasn't ready to play, which goes on the Red Genius.

And I thought Richard was basically the DC now anyway?

My main point is that I'm not buying the upcoming scapegoat narrative that Jerry and Co will be selling us.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Again, I'm not some huge Marinelli fan. I don't think it would hurt anything to fire him.

But the 2014 team had very little talent on defense, And yes, the 2016 team got down 21-3... but to me, that little number on the right side is just as bad as the 21, especially against an average defense that got run through the next week at Atlanta. Looks to me like the entire team wasn't ready to play, which goes on the Red Genius.

And I thought Richard was basically the DC now anyway?

My main point is that I'm not buying the upcoming scapegoat narrative that Jerry and Co will be selling us.

don’t get me wrong Choc. I want an entire new coaching staff. Believe you me.