Twitter: Marinelli: Trysten Hill is "regressing"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team still creates "favorites". He's one of them. May be a good locker room guy, practices hard etc, but just has never lived up to that contract.

Still believe to this day they would of gotten a better bang for their buck re-signing Murray over Crawford.

He is and always will be a round peg in a square hole. They drafted him to be a 3-4 defensive end. And that's what he is and always will be. They should have traded him away the second the changed schemes. Instead, they gave him a big contract and then tried to find a place to put him to justify that contract. Following up one mistake by making another. Again and again and again.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
regressed? I mean the signs were there. He was benched on his college team because of his work ethic. The writing was on the wall and we chose not to see it. I hope he can turn it around because we need him to be a player but man. We reached on him and every day the pick is looking worst and worst.

from NFL.COM
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/trysten-hill?id=32194849-4c00-0003-9608-9c2ce3128b7b

Overview
He's the most talented and impactful defensive lineman on the team, but concerns over his football character and maturity have hindered his standing on the team at times. Despite starting just once this season, Hill was a gap bandit who disrupted running games and spent time harassing quarterbacks with consistent effort and hustle. He needs to get stronger and play with better control, but his get-off and athletic hands/feet should make him a rotational one-gapper if the maturity and coachability check out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My comment was not about his performance, which is non existence. Or just bad.
My comment is I do not believe Rod would out right tell this to anyone outside the organization.

Now what @DallasEast posted makes a lot of sense. Even it would not be smart for a player to repeat that. But we do not have the brightest players either.

So it was not about the accuracy that Hill has in fact been regressing, but the idea that Marinelli wouldn't actually tell the truth? Neither sounds good.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Wonder if Trysten replied to Marinelli? "That makes 2 of us"! :lmao:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I'm usually all in on the 3 year rule for all rookies and I am trying my hardest to give Hill the benefit of the doubt, but this has the looks of a terrible draft choice. The fact that Thornhill is starting and looking great makes this pick even worse. At this point, I'm almost tempted to bring in former 1st round pick Robert Nkemdiche and see what he can do, and we already know he's a bust, lol.

Same here. I’ll wait at least another year before making any declarations.-

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So it was not about the accuracy that Hill has in fact been regressing, but the idea that Marinelli wouldn't actually tell the truth? Neither sounds good.

Take it anyway you wish. I don't care.
Been on the road for a week, so have not had time to sort through all the threads and post, even on this one.
So tear my comment down, I stand by what I said. If you want to over analyze it, then so be it.

I have about an hour then hitting the road again.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Take it anyway you wish. I don't care.
Been on the road for a week, so have not had time to sort through all the threads and post, even on this one.
So tear my comment down, I stand by what I said. If you want to over analyze it, then so be it.

I have about an hour then hitting the road again.

You should get some sleep. Clearly you need it.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm usually all in on the 3 year rule for all rookies and I am trying my hardest to give Hill the benefit of the doubt, but this has the looks of a terrible draft choice. The fact that Thornhill is starting and looking great makes this pick even worse. At this point, I'm almost tempted to bring in former 1st round pick Robert Nkemdiche and see what he can do, and we already know he's a bust, lol.

Same here. Because in other cases, you saw some flashes from guys early that made you think he could progress. Lawrence was hurt but when he finally played his rookie year, you could see a few flashes and he actually made a few plays.

Hill has done nothing. And then we get reports like this and it really makes it hard to envision three years from now this guy will be playing at a high level.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had some good sleep.
Obviously you just want to start an argument. Maybe you should take your own advice.

Actually, I wanted to start a conversation, but clearly you're in no mood to do that. So we can end things here.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Shame on Dallas for drafting this guy when they needed help at S.

Hill is a classic workout warrior that can't play football. We'll see if they can fix him but the leash should be short with this one. Taco had a bad attitude but at least he could play.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Hey lets draft a guy in the 2nd round that wasn't even a starter in college because we are smarter than the colleges coaches :banghead:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I’ve never seen such an early draft pick struggle so badly to even be active for a game, better yet get on the field. Plenty of opportunities to get him on the field, especially in garbage time if they wanted.
there has been quite a few, including first rounders.... but yes, quite disappoingting. I think he is a bit soft mentally and Marinelli is a hard tough coach with a get in your face attitude and he is not responding to that...he is a millennial that needs a little bit of cuddling....kind of like Taco (soft Taco).

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
From my Nebraska insiders...there was a reason why Frost wouldn't allow him to transfer with him to Lincoln. He never directly told him no but implied, in so many words, that his best path to the draft was to stay the course @ UCF. He wanted no part in this dude and, from what I heard, declined to give him a ringing endorsement when said NFL team was on the horn. Frost is no dummy...unlike our boy Rod.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Too much piling on Marinelli for me. Rod may have liked him, but he doesn't run the draft room. Someone had to listen to him.

Rod is being set up perfectly to be this season's scapegoat. Everyone will be back except him and he'll be blamed all summer. You can see it coming from a mile away.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ve never seen such an early draft pick struggle so badly to even be active for a game, better yet get on the field. Plenty of opportunities to get him on the field, especially in garbage time if they wanted.

Cowboys DL and Hill
  • He has been active for 4 games.
  • On DL they carry 8 active for game days and they depend on all of them.
  • It's not like many positions where the backup is only needed if there is an injury to a starter.
  • Hill didn't regress when we've seen him in games. He didn't improve per se, but he didn't regress from the preseason.
  • It seemed evident before this unverified tweet that Hill was unlikely to play much this season.
  • The real issue is that they're changing the DL scheme/assignments during the season.
  • What they were doing during the losing streak and in the Rams game was not working.
  • They have enough issues getting that corrected without dealing with a rookie DT.
  • The trade for Bennett, IMO, was another sign that Kris Richard has taken complete control over the defense starting with the Eagles game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From my Nebraska insiders...there was a reason why Frost wouldn't allow him to transfer with him to Lincoln. He never directly told him no but implied, in so many words, that his best path to the draft was to stay the course @ UCF. He wanted no part in this dude and, from what I heard, declined to give him a ringing endorsement when said NFL team was on the horn. Frost is no dummy...unlike our boy Rod.

That is completely made up nonsense.

Frost offered him the transfer. The new UCF HC Heupel denied the transfer.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too much piling on Marinelli for me. Rod may have liked him, but he doesn't run the draft room. Someone had to listen to him.

Rod is being set up perfectly to be this season's scapegoat. Everyone will be back except him and he'll be blamed all summer. You can see it coming from a mile away.

When you go to bat for guys like Hill - and Taco - you are and should be held accountable for it. All of the talk about Tampa Bay and Chicago is irrelevant at this point. Ancient history. He should be judged by what he's done here, and that's certainly deserving of being fired.