Marinelli's Legacy of Misevaluation

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Been listening to some of the team's podcasts (Draft Show and the Break) over the past few months and couple of things have popped out to me....Rod Marinelli has been directly been involved with at least two (more likely 3) significant prospect evaluations flubs:

1. Nick Eatman talked about how during the 2019 Draft the Cowboys the debate in the war room was whether to take DT Trysten Hill at #58 or one of the safeties still on the board (Adderley, Rapp, or Thornhill). Eatman said that Marinelli went to bat for "his guy" Hill and the team rolled the dice thinking they could grab one of the safeties with their next pick at pick #90.
  2. On the Feb. 9, Draft Show Broadduss was once again rehashing the 2016 Draft debate between Jalen Ramsey and Zeke. You'll remember this was when the team had almost identical grades ("tags were touching") between the two players. The interesting bit to me was not that Marinelli (and McClay) advocated for taking Zeke, but rather that they had misevaluated Ramsey as a safety and not a corner.
*#3 I don't have insider info to 100% validate it, but I think we all suspect in the 2017 Draft that Marinelli was a primary voice in the room that misevaluated TJ Watt as a 3-4 OLB, which was ultimately a factor in passing on him in favor of Taco Charlton.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, McClay was the one the one who advocated for Taco over Watt

I heard Babe Laufenberg speak on this as well. Basically was saying Maranelli got scapegoated for the Taco pick......but he wasn't the only voice and wasn't the loudest either. He didn't go into who actually was though. I figured it was either Jerry or someone else.

Brax

Reaction score
Been listening to some of the team's podcasts (Draft Show and the Break) over the past few months and couple of things have popped out to me....Rod Marinelli has been directly been involved with at least two (more likely 3) significant prospect evaluations flubs:

1. Nick Eatman talked about how during the 2019 Draft the Cowboys the debate in the war room was whether to take DT Trysten Hill at #58 or one of the safeties still on the board (Adderley, Rapp, or Thornhill). Eatman said that Marinelli went to bat for "his guy" Hill and the team rolled the dice thinking they could grab one of the safeties with their next pick at pick #90.
  2. On the Feb. 9, Draft Show Broadduss was once again rehashing the 2016 Draft debate between Jalen Ramsey and Zeke. You'll remember this was when the team had almost identical grades ("tags were touching") between the two players. The interesting bit to me was not that Marinelli (and McClay) advocated for taking Zeke, but rather that they had misevaluated Ramsey as a safety and not a corner.
*#3 I don't have insider info to 100% validate it, but I think we all suspect Marinelli was a primary voice in the room that misevaluated TJ Watt as a 3-4 OLB in the 2017 Draft, which was ultimately a factor in passing on him in favor of Taco Charlton.
This is classic blame game, McClay is the talent evaluator and Jerry has final say so WM the talent guru is to blame for the poor draft picks, as for Zeke I would of preferred Ramsey but how soon folks forget that Zeke carried the team for 3 seasons and why he got the big$$$$ contract that most do not like. So it is WM and JJ’s fault and no one else’s for the poor drafting.

Carson

Reaction score
Every insider in Dallas will tell you that Marinelli had entirely too much juice in that draft room.

I can absolutely understand the thought process with the Taco and Zeke picks, but the Trysten Hill one still befuddles me.

The sad part is, Broaddus tweeted immediately after round one, he would be our pick on day 2. Didn’t matter who was available

Plankton

Reaction score
ezgif-3-faec7d183860.gif

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I heard Babe Laufenberg speak on this as well. Basically was saying Maranelli got scapegoated for the Taco pick......but he wasn't the only voice and wasn't the loudest either. He didn't go into who actually was though. I figured it was either Jerry or someone else.
I want a war daddy! Waitress brings back a soft taco.

Dre11

Reaction score
I believe he said it was a group decision. Either way, I don’t think for a second McClay would get on the podcast and say “Taco? That wuzn’t me man. Go talk to Rod.”

Well if you went by the draft analysis on both players, Taco was rated higher and projected to go higher.

https://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/scoutingreport2017tcharlton.php

https://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/scoutingreport2017tjwatt.php#:~:text=Similar to his older brother,batted and two forced fumbles.

Last edited: