1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Mark Schlereth agrees with Larry Fedora's comments and expresses his feelings about football's CTE

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zekeats, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philmonroe

Philmonroe Well-Known Member

5,474 Messages
    3,903 Likes Received
    No offense but and? I never mentioned anything about anybody giving up football lol

2. Nightman

Nightman Capologist

27,121 Messages
    24,038 Likes Received
    I was agreeing with you chachi......try to keep up

They know there are risks but those Southern boys will never give up the sport

Philmonroe likes this.
  3. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Well-Known Member

2,714 Messages
    2,248 Likes Received
    They need to determine who doesn't have CTE and work their way back to football to see where it ends and where it starts.
    It's not just a football problem.

4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

48,235 Messages
    35,316 Likes Received
    Some drink them pretty, some drink them smart
    Salud!

Ranching likes this.
  5. DoctorChicken

DoctorChicken Well-Known Member

3,797 Messages
    7,519 Likes Received
    The rates for football, wrestling and boxing are very high. Of course this is all relatively new information in the medical field, but to say that there’s no “definitive proof” is laughable. It’s not just a football problem either.

The people trying to link football and CTE are not “attacking” football. No one with credibility is calling for the banning of football, but people realize it is a violent sport with more negative consequences on the human body than what was known 20 years ago. That is 100% undeniable. And people want to lessen those negative consequences, especially something as awful as CTE.

Uh, so do I, and our pools have diving boards.

dagreat1_87 and Bullflop like this.
  6. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

33,163 Messages
    9,191 Likes Received
    The NFL lifts poor kids out of the slums

No. Those poor kids work incredibly hard to get there. Their families make tons of sacrifices to help put them in a position to succeed. Don't act like the NFL is some sort of savior. These "poor kids" did all the work to get to the NFL. The league did little if anything to help them

condoin125 and dagreat1_87 like this.
  7. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

6,119 Messages
    5,386 Likes Received
    Agreed. I kind of laughed when he started talking about the brain.

As far as knowing the risks, I believe they always have. Believing football was a dangerous sport is nothing new. There were always parents that didn't let their kids play, and it wasn't for fear of a sprained ankle either.

8. Nightman

Nightman Capologist

27,121 Messages
    24,038 Likes Received
    But would they put in all that work for the game if there was no NFL or similar pro league?

No they wouldn't

9. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

11,535 Messages
    15,650 Likes Received
    Itll be interesting to see how this plays out. I mean, it's only common sense that with guys getting bigger faster hitting each other at full speed, is probably going to have links to CTE.

Nothings going to happen to the game, but youd like to see the NFL be proactive and use all this crazy tech and science innovation to better understand it and design equipment for it. Instead of just kinda sweeping it under the rug. Doing things in good faith is usually the best way to approach situations like this imo.

And yeah, some parents will keep their kids out of football because of it.

Maybe itll lead to us actually having a good US mens soccer team. I get triggered when I see the world cup and think about what itd look like with our best athletes on the field. We would crush.

10. rkell87

rkell87 Benched

8,443 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    @erod

I'm sure colleges will get sued; however, the vast majority of players are legally adults and therefore responsible for themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if it's already standard in scholarships to have CYA language for this reason. I believe both the NFL and NCAA will at some point be held somewhat responsible for CTE and pay a drop in the bucket, but from that point on players won't be able to claim ignorance of consequence and things will be pretty much business as usual. They'll Probably just add an hour long seminar for incoming freshmen and a waiver signing at the end.

Bullflop likes this.
  11. rkell87

rkell87 Benched

8,443 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    Personally I'm glad our best athletes don't waste their time on boring sports and choose exciting and difficult activities.

12. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

33,163 Messages
    9,191 Likes Received
    There wouldn't be a successful league without these players. You'd have another CFL. Players make the league

13. lockster

lockster Well-Known Member

1,472 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    glad somebody understands personal responsibility. This nation No longer subscribed to this in the legal system, hence the destruction of not only football but all kinds of endeavors.

14. lockster

lockster Well-Known Member

1,472 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    glad somebody understands personal responsibility. This nation No longer subscribed to this in the legal system, hence the destruction of not only football but all kinds of endeavors.

Furboy likes this.
  15. TWOK11

TWOK11 Well-Known Member

2,257 Messages
    6,192 Likes Received
    I mean, he's welcome to hold that opinion. He's wrong but it's his right.

The scientific link between CTE and football is so overwhelming that to deny it at this point is no less absurd than claiming vaccines cause autism.

Eanwen and condoin125 like this.
  16. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

5,558 Messages
    5,720 Likes Received
    Gimmee - exactly right. Why, just look at your brain when you talk about Romo - it truly is crazy.

GimmeTheBall! and Tommy like this.
  17. AmericanCowboy

AmericanCowboy Well-Known Member

3,139 Messages
    4,605 Likes Received
    I wish I could dislike this post for many reasons.

There are many examples of times when the scientific community has taken and twisted data to fit a certain narrative. CTE studies all have specifically chosen focus groups and are run by people who have implicit bias.

Obviously hitting your head over and over again isn’t great. No one is disputing that.

The fact is if you give me a set of data, allow me to pick the specific people to study, I can make data say whatever I want it to say.

lockster, Tommy and Nightman like this.
  18. AmericanCowboy

AmericanCowboy Well-Known Member

3,139 Messages
    4,605 Likes Received
    Do the poor kids work incredibly hard to get there, or are they blessed with natural, God given abilities that regular people like you and me can only dream about? Maybe it’s a combination?

Ever seen what goes on in a high school for a star football player? Ever read about the corruption starting in middle school for players who are able to dominate in sports?

I work in a high school that has sent about 7 or 8 players to the NFL over the last 15 years. I have seen it first hand- everything literally handed to them by the time they were 13 years old. Sure they work hard in football, but many frequently neglect everything else, including school work and even school attendance.

This narrative you push about the families making a ton of sacrifices to put them in a position to succeed is mostly not true. Maybe in some cases- overwhelmingly it is not.

Nightman and Hadenough like this.
  19. Hadenough

Hadenough Well-Known Member

5,186 Messages
    5,634 Likes Received
    Exactly! Football is a risky business but so is working on an oil rig or commercial buildings or crab fishing or heck living in the city crossing the street. Nobody had their arm twisted and was told to play football. Getting paid to do something they love is not a bad thing and the player can choose to walk away at anytime!

Nightman and AmericanCowboy like this.
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

25,524 Messages
    8,850 Likes Received
    Huh? Not sure I understand what you mean.

Isn't that like saying find people that don't have AIDS and work your way back to find the source of AIDS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.