Mark Schlereth - Dallas was running wrong D scheme

bark

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s very cool to dump on Richard’s defense like that. Schlereth better keep his head on a swivel.
I see what you did there.
All kidding aside, about as good a breakdown of the x’s and o’s as I’ve seen in the aftermath

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Skip said the Cowboys ran a zone blocking scheme in the 90s. I thought they ran man most of the time?
Skip Bayless is the last guy you want to listen to, I don't think he could tell the two schemes apart. Tony Wise and Hudson Houck both ran predominantly man schemes.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Every commentator I have heard this week agrees that Dallas coaching failed the team and they made no adjustments.

Where there is smoke there is fire.

Hard to make game adjustments you haven't practiced, especially with two young LBers. Even Jaylon Smith complain how misdirections and presnap motions forced them to use their eyes more. It was obvious by end of the first Q they had no clue. Kinda like going to war but once the fighting starts realizing you have to wrong weapons.......oop, too late.

Just me, but I'm 100% confident if we played the Rams again one week later, the defensive stats would be night and day. Better preparation and practice would be huge......

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see what you did there.
All kidding aside, about as good a breakdown of the x’s and o’s as I’ve seen in the aftermath

I like Schlereth. I suppose I ought to watch the video before messing with everybody.

DStar22

Reaction score
more and more it seems like games are rigged somehow, like the winner has already been chosen in the NFL... or are our coaches really that dumb that they can't adjust to a scheme that is being blown up?

DCowboyz

Reaction score
more and more it seems like games are rigged somehow, like the winner has already been chosen in the NFL... or are our coaches really that dumb that they can't adjust to a scheme that is being blown up?

I do find it very odd how we barely let RB's run on us all season, barely hitting the 100 yard mark and the Rams rush over 250+ yards? I mean, I'm confused.

aria

Reaction score
Time for Marinelli to go. Too many stubborn coaches on the team who refuse to adjust. Kris Richards was busy interviewing while McVay was plotting for 2 weeks,
So let me get this straight, are you saying Richard is that good but this is Marinelli’s fault because Kris was literally too busy this week?

In other words, do you think Richard is that great that he deserves all the credit for our defense this year but is absolved from the horrendous performance against the Rams because he was too busy interviewing?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Every commentator I have heard this week agrees that Dallas coaching failed the team and they made no adjustments.

Marinelli got pantsed in 2016 by Rodgers playing hurry up, which he is *known* for.

The "we do what we do" translates into "we don't really prepare for each team we play".

The potential of a good roster being frittered away by an attitude of "good enough" on the coaching staff.

The coaching staff is so much in house "our guy is good enough", and so little "let's go find the best guy". Epitomized by Kellen Moore.

aria

Reaction score
I do find it very odd how we barely let RB's run on us all season, barely hitting the 100 yard mark and the Rams rush over 250+ yards? I mean, I'm confused.
Do you think it’s odd that we were shut out against the Colts? I do. Or perhaps we weren’t as good as some people thought. First time since Quincy friggin Carter that we were shut out yet some people still had hope we would go deep in the playoffs.

Let’s be honest, people can bash JG all they want but Pete Carroll, and specifically Shotenheimmer, lost that game. The play calling for Seattle may have been the worst I’ve ever seen on a pro level and they still almost beat us. Nothing personal against you, I’m just starting to fume all over again about this trash team.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Ok. But he dodged the question about how much of an advantage it was for the OL to know the defensive play calls. He refused to quantify it b/c he it detracted from his talking point. What he's saying makes sense, but it doesn't explain 273 yards. We held The Seahawks to 73 yards and Saints to 65. This was a good run defense.

He explained it 100%

Dallas problem was setting up Wide and trying to run stunts on a zone, which made it easy to pass off from the inside out, and the guard on the stunt side matched up on the DE wide, which left a guard and the center to clear the way right up the middle. Richards and marinelli basically did this religiously during the game and they got ate up right up the middle.

Maybe you just didnt understand what he said.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Schlereth is one of my favorite analysts. I hate that Skip is a Cowboys fan.
Skip is not a Cowboys fan. He plays the part of an obnoxious Cowboy fan. He was a well known Cowboys hater in the 90’s. He only changed to take on a role. Think WWE. Not an ounce of honesty inSkips body, but it sells so its successful.

Wood

Reaction score
They didn’t gain 273 yards right up the keister because “We were in the wrong defense.” It’s called players. Guess this guy didn’t see what the Rams were doing with Anderson the last couple games either. We simply don’t have the beef upfront to shut down a powerful o-line and backs like that. End of story,nothing mysterious to disect about it.

I thought they addressed personnel issue by stating Dallas was missing space eater in middle.