Markquese Bell fast becoming a star on the Cowboys defense

CCBoy

Reaction score
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2023/10/20/cowboys-markquese-bell-2023-breakout-campaign/

Bell, a former four-star recruit, had a somewhat odd college career. He was suspended indefinitely from Maryland before even playing a single snap. He rebooted in junior college for a year before resurfacing at Florida A&M who didn’t even play in 2020 for COVID-19 concerns.

At 6-foot-2, 212 pounds, Bell impressed in the areas of speed, stature and athleticism. The Cowboys looked past his winding path to the NFL, or any possible red flags along the way, and envisioned what he could be in Dallas.

Dan Quinn, the Cowboys defensive coordinator, saw a player who fit the mold. Quinn values large and long box safeties on his defense. In Quinn’s scheme, the lines were often blurred between safety and linebacker so having a safety stout enough to hold up to the demands of the position was critical.

blueblood70

Reaction score
i agree this year so far he's played better than Dono and starting to think the donovan wilson signing was premature... However that does give us some trade pieces...trade deadlines coming and we have an overflow at some positions and shortage at others maybe one of these safety's can be bait..

even Tomas is starting to show out a bit.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He's looked good, but I'd put away the anointing oil just yet in terms of being a star.
He looks every bit as good or better than Donovan Wilson right now... You notice in the game against Arizona when they took bell out and put Donovan Wilson in how much different the defense look. Sometimes you can just tell. you know like early on it was obvious with Bland get him more snaps and he would shine. same thing now with bell its quite obvious.

plymkr

Reaction score
I didn’t know he was suspended indefinitely for whatever. He’s been a beast here and not a peep from him off the field. Great find and great player.

CCBoy

Reaction score
He's looked good, but I'd put away the anointing oil just yet in terms of being a star.
He is already contributing and he is doing a very noticeable role. You afraid of success?

StarLord

Reaction score
He looks every bit as good or better than Donovan Wilson right now... You notice in the game against Arizona when they took bell out and put Donovan Wilson in how much different the defense look..
I definitely want him in that as much as is possible.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys media so quick to want to name a player a star. Love his play, but let it be consistent before we start anointing.
Bet...step on up. Now tell us exactly what has his play been from when he was put into a game to now....Yea, please tell us where he stands exactly. Waiting for more than a stereotype to cheapen what he has done. Does he have to kick Parsons out of the way to receive a compliment from YOU? :popcorn:

Mr_437

Reaction score
Bell is getting valuable experience at LB, but I look forward to him moving back to S. Kearse is in his last season as a Cowboy imho, but I don't know if Thomas or Bell would be better at JK's position.

Dono has to be around for this year and the next, but he's been out played since coming back. Moral of the story more Bell n Thomas some kind of way.

Zordon

Reaction score
I was surprised how well he navigated traffic at middle backer considering he's around 220 lbs.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm excited to see Bell finding success, just as we all should be. He'll only get better with added experience. There's no cause not to support him. ;)

Ken

Reaction score
Bell and Thomas seem like they could be our starting safeties in the not too distant future.

I realize Bell has shined at LB but he was also a thumper as a SS. Thomas has been equally as impactful when they put him on the field...these guys seem like they could be diamonds if you put them out there together.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Bell and Thomas seem like they could be our starting safeties in the not too distant future.

I realize Bell has shined at LB but he was also a thumper as a SS. Thomas has been equally as impactful when they put him on the field...these guys seem like they could be diamonds if you put them out there together.
In the current scheme, both traits are interchangeable. A young linebacker was put on IR, he will return. For his season, the group is still fully functional.

Gambit

Reaction score
This board is so funny
People demand players play like all pros from first ota, then when someone plays well they demand you slow yer roll when people give them any kind of props.

Bell has been a great surprise and am estastic he has shown so much this early,makes losing Overshown hurt a little less.

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
Bet...step on up. Now tell us exactly what has his play been from when he was put into a game to now....Yea, please tell us where he stands exactly. Waiting for more than a stereotype to cheapen what he has done. Does he have to kick Parsons out of the way to receive a compliment from YOU? :popcorn:
Let’s try this again. I’m just sick of the Dallas media crowning players for production. I can name 5 players right now on the current roster who were the next “star”. Only to fizzle down the stretch. Like I said, I’m thrilled we have a play maker in Bell. Let him prove it first.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Let’s try this again. I’m just sick of the Dallas media crowning players for production. I can name 5 players right now on the current roster who were the next “star”. Only to fizzle down the stretch. Like I said, I’m thrilled we have a play maker in Bell. Let him prove it first.
You gave a non-insultive response. That is the start of a real discussion...next, which 'five' are you referencing

Rayman70

Reaction score
and he is, but what we really need are guys willing to be nameless mudders. We have enuff 'stars." Thats been the issue. Give me the quiet steady mudders any day.