Marooned! The Movie Version

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, I know the staff likes removing my !'s but they are necessary for this thread to build excitement and a sense of urgency in the players. If I just tell them they're marooned they'll just go "so what" but put six !'s behind that and it is lump in the throat time.

Here's the situation. You are going to be marooned for an undetermined amount of time (less for those of you that have been giving me Likes) and are only allowed to take certain items along. There will be a big screen, Blu Ray player and surround sound already there for you because this is Geek Island. But no puter, pad, phone and no streaming, you will be limited to the selections you take with you.

You will be allowed to take five movies with you, one in each of the genres allowed. You can select one from Action/Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Horror and Western. That's one each, not a trilogy like The Godfather.

Pick carefully and no changing because another poster puts up one you forgot. Maybe you'll be close enough to that poster's island to swim over for an exchange but did I mention the sharks? Sharks that make Jaws look like Nemo.

OK, what are your five selections?

Well, that didn't take long, threads is up < a minute and whammo!, five !'s gone just like that.
  • Action/Adventure - Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Comedy - Coming To America
  • Drama - Erin Brockovich
  • Horror - William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist
  • Western - Big Jake
I hate you put Action and Adventure together. Those are two separate categories :mad: but I found myself edging CA:TWS (action) over my all-time favorite adventure movie, Raiders Of The Lost Ark. :p

Not sure how others put their lists together but they are hard for me. :laugh: And I know I keep changing my 'number one' depending on a thread's OP--except The Exorcist. No other (so-called) horror movie has ever changed my opinion for that particular genre.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
  • Western - Big Jake
I hate you put Action and Adventure together. Those are two separate categories :mad: but I found myself edging CA:TWS (action) over my all-time favorite adventure movie, Raiders Of The Lost Ark. :p

Not sure how others put their lists together but they are hard for me. :laugh: And I know I keep changing my 'number one' depending on a thread's OP--except The Exorcist. No other (so-called) horror movie has ever changed my opinion for that particular genre.
If you think of horror movies as supernatural, then I agree, The Exorcist is the best ever, but I think of any movie that's designed to scare you as horror, and I found Aliens much scarier.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you think of horror movies as supernatural, then I agree, The Exorcist is the best ever, but I think of any movie that's designed to scare you as horror, and I found Aliens much scarier.
Aliens is in my all-time top 10 horror list and top five depending on the conversation. For me, and maybe just me, Aliens is an edge-of-your-seat visual and audible suspenseful horror movie with wicked satire interwoven into much of the movie.

Some people have argued with me that Aliens best fits the suspense (or thriller genre) than horror. I argue the film contains enough psychological intrigue to keep it in the horror category. I mean, seriously. The aliens are not gotcha gimmicks. The audience is left wondering, "What exactly are they? What are they thinking? What are their plans? What makes them so single-minded?" Etc. You are not only thinking when they will pop up next.

It is the psychological element that separates and elevates The Exorcist above all others in my opinion. Even in its debut, the movie does not depend on special effects to entrap your attention. The greatness of the movie (imo) is the calculated introduction of both myth and fact from the first act, with a bit more of both added each following scene, continually building to a climax that does not stop you from wondering, "IS THIS REAL???" Every single character, in fact the entire movie, is so laid back, so urban Americana, that they and it makes you feel like the event could happen to you, your family, your friends, and anyone looking in from the fringes of your world.

I have seen many self-proclaimed horror movies but there are only two that shut me up--no mumbling under my breath, no laughing (haha you're going to get a pitchfork through the head if you open that door haha), no nothing from the time the movie starts to the closing credits. One is John Carpenter's The Thing. The other is the original Exorcist.

<expletive> Glenda Jackson. Ellen Burstyn SHOULD HAVE WON best actress. That woman was literally living in hell trying to help her child. And do not get me started on the rest of the cast. :muttley:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Aliens is in my all-time top 10 horror list and top five depending on the conversation. For me, and maybe just me, Aliens is an edge-of-your-seat visual and audible suspenseful horror movie with wicked satire interwoven into much of the movie.

Some people have argued with me that Aliens best fits the suspense (or thriller genre) than horror. I argue the film contains enough psychological intrigue to keep it in the horror category. I mean, seriously. The aliens are not gotcha gimmicks. The audience is left wondering, "What exactly are they? What are they thinking? What are their plans? What makes them so single-minded?" Etc. You are not only thinking when they will pop up next.

It is the psychological element that separates and elevates The Exorcist above all others in my opinion. Even in its debut, the movie does not depend on special effects to entrap your attention. The greatness of the movie (imo) is the calculated introduction of both myth and fact from the first act, with a bit more of both added each following scene, continually building to a climax that does not stop you from wondering, "IS THIS REAL???" Every single character, in fact the entire movie, is so laid back, so urban Americana, that they and it makes you fill like the event could happen to you, your family, your friends, and anyone looking in from the fringes of your world.

I have seen many self-proclaimed horror movies but there are only two that shut me up--no mumbling under my breath, no laughing (haha you're going to get a pitchfork through the head if you open that door haha), no nothing from the time the movie starts to the closing credits. One is John Carpenter's The Thing. The other is the original Exorcist.

<expletive> Glenda Jackson. Ellen Burstyn SHOULD HAVE WON best actress. That woman was literally living in hell trying to help her child. And do not get me started on the rest of the cast. :muttley:
For me, the face huggers were the most disturbing part of Aliens. The monsters seem almost invincible, and even if you kill one, you probably get acid splashed on you. They're smart, fast, strong, relentless, creepy, foreign, and mysterious. (The lack of eyes was brilliant on Giger's part.) But the thought of a spider like, slimy creature wrapping itself around your head, smothering you, while it lays eggs down your throat that hatch inside you and eventually rip through your chest is just about the most horrifying thing I can think of.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me, the face huggers were the most disturbing part of Aliens. The monsters seem almost invincible, and even if you kill one, you probably get acid splashed on you. They're smart, fast, strong, relentless, creepy, foreign, and mysterious. (The lack of eyes was brilliant on Giger's part.) But the thought of a spider like, slimy creature wrapping itself around your head, smothering you, while it lays eggs down your throat that hatch inside you and eventually rip through your chest is just about the most horrifying thing I can think of.
I hear you and agree mostly but you can protect yourself to a certain point if you have Ripley's brains and common sense. There is an element of control until stupidity takes hold (umm Burke? Running away from your fellow humans fighting the aliens may not be too smart..) How can you defend yourself and everyone you hold dear from a demon or Lucifer? Get inside you and twist your head around 360 degrees? :p

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I hear you and agree mostly but you can protect yourself to a certain point if you have Ripley's brains and common sense. There is an element of control until stupidity takes hold (umm Burke? Running away from your fellow humans fighting the aliens may not be too smart..) How can you defend yourself and everyone you hold dear from a demon or Lucifer? Get inside you and twist your head around 360 degrees? :p
The alien monsters can take out a human settlement within hours. Satan takes days or more to take out one little girl. :p

cowboyec

Reaction score
jimmy stewart edition
western-broken arrow
horror-vertigo
drama-mr smith goes to washington
comedy-harvey
action/adventure-the fbi story
sports-the stratton story
war-mountain road
animal-its a wonderful life(the crow steals the movie).

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Action/Adventure: Mad Max:Fury Road
Comedy: Back to the future, Funny Farm
Horror: The Shining
Drama: Dances With Wolves
Western: 3:10 to Yuma
War: Brave Heart

cowboyec

Reaction score
paranormal edition
drama:close encounters of the third kind
comedy:men in black
action/adventure:earth vs the flying saucers
western:high plains drifter
horror:the thing from another world
war:war of the worlds
animal:the legend of boggey creek
sports:field of dreams
tv:the x-files movie-fight the future

catiii

Reaction score
You will be allowed to take five movies with you, one in each of the genres allowed. You can select one from Action/Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Horror and Western. That's one each, not a trilogy like The Godfather.

TWISTER, TOP GUN, TOMBSTONE, GROUNDHOG DAY, THE QUIET.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • Western - Big Jake

Ya know, DE, looking back what I should of done was start a thread "Hey y'all, thinking about this marooned with movies thread, got any suggestions? But, there have been some good suggestion, such as yours. You and several others have much more entertaining islands than I do.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
paranormal edition
drama:close encounters of the third kind
comedy:men in black
action/adventure:earth vs the flying saucers
western:high plains drifter
horror:the thing from another world
war:war of the worlds
animal:the legend of boggey creek
sports:field of dreams
tv:the x-files movie-fight the future
eric, how about just a list of movies you don't want to take?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aliens is awesome, liked it better than the first, original movie :thumbup:
But it was different. The first was really more horror/suspense and the sequel was more action/adventure and one of the best 1-2 punches of all time. I cannot watch one without watching the other.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alien was much scarier to me because that's the first time we see it unfold out of the mind of someone who had too many nightmares. I read the novelette by Dan O'Bannon, which was actually the screenplay since he wrote it, and the images I was conjuring up about this creature had me a little apprehensive to go see the movie. Geiger did as magnificent job of bringing that monstrosity to life and Scott muddying the audio to get the audience more attentive and leaning in was a stroke of genius.

That is the only movie I have ever been in that at least 30 people got up, after the little guy burst forth, and exited stage left at almost a run and did not return. My arm had nail puncture wounds from my wife grabbing it as a reaction. There wasn't a humor break in that entire film but after that thing scurrying out of the room, the theater was filled with nervous laughter as a release.

Alien is the perfect horror movie with the perfect score to match. I did not pick that one because if I am going to be alone on the island, I would prefer to be with Kong, I can see him and hear him coming.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Alien was much scarier to me because that's the first time we see it unfold out of the mind of someone who had too many nightmares. I read the novelette by Dan O'Bannon, which was actually the screenplay since he wrote it, and the images I was conjuring up about this creature had me a little apprehensive to go see the movie. Geiger did as magnificent job of bringing that monstrosity to life and Scott muddying the audio to get the audience more attentive and leaning in was a stroke of genius.

That is the only movie I have ever been in that at least 30 people got up, after the little guy burst forth, and exited stage left at almost a run and did not return. My arm had nail puncture wounds from my wife grabbing it as a reaction. There wasn't a humor break in that entire film but after that thing scurrying out of the room, the theater was filled with nervous laughter as a release.

Alien is the perfect horror movie with the perfect score to match. I did not pick that one because if I am going to be alone on the island, I would prefer to be with Kong, I can see him and hear him coming.
All these supernatural horror movies (especially modern ones) do nothing to scare me, because I just find them silly and contrived, and I just never get absorbed.

Even though I'll never be on a ship in space, the fear of being hunted by a ferocious creature is innate and natural.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All these supernatural horror movies (especially modern ones) do nothing to scare me, because I just find them silly and contrived, and I just never get absorbed.

Even though I'll never be on a ship in space, the fear of being hunted by a ferocious creature is innate and natural.
I will never be on a ship in space for that very reason.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Imagine my disappointment when I opened this thread thinking we were talking about this classic. The acting and visuals in this classic were oscar worthy. Or not. Adn I remember the excitement when it came out.