RELEASED Martavis Bryant and three others released from PS

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By the way we praise players etc you'd think they'd be something special!!
I don't recall the Cowboys praising him other than to say he had the desirable physical traits that made him worth looking at.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I don't recall the Cowboys praising him other than to say he had the desirable physical traits that made him worth looking at.
Uhhh in English you call that praise, in your sarcasm they just said "he's the worst player ever!"

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Looks around the room, Cooks??? lol jk
I would assume if we signed Cook to the practice squad, we would have the same vet signee problem and have to release another one to have just six of them. Of course, I'd be fine with pitching Malik Jefferson or Carl Davis. I don't think we can call either up anymore this year. (I don't know if the postseason restarts eligibility, though.)

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most (not all) late roster additions like the 4 we signed this week are more about the 2024 roster than now. It’s extremely rare that a ps player or even veteran FA who is available is going to swoop in and be some kind of big boost to the team.

It‘s good to see the Cowboys FO always churning the roster to get better. We often forget that 30-40% of the 53 man roster members that are on the team now won’t be next year. That’s just the nature of NFL roster management.

Very few NFL draft picks are plug and play. Player development is a huge part of any organization’s short term and long term success. Thank goodness fans aren’t in charge of our roster because there is zero patience to develop anyone, lol!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Nate Newton and Jesse Holley really trashing the ‘depth signings’ on their podcast. As Nate puts it, just another way of saying you can’t say anything positive about the guy. They seem to like the Damien Wilson signing, but think LC is a lost cause that fans are overrating and will only touch the field in worse case scenario. Nate said he had no hips left, and one knee already gone when he left the team and the only good thing about the signing was we can get back some of that dead money were still paying to him. (Joking.). Both said this franchise loves to hold on to guys forever and not release rookies so when you release LC with $10 million in dead cap, you know he’s done, and just perpetuates more of the bad habits this FO has on keeping guys too long. Said if you know you have a depth problem already, and you believe LC is capable of playing again, why are you waiting until the very end of the season, why didn’t you move on this earlier in the year or someone else on the trade deadline? I agree.
WE LIKE OUR GUYS !!!!!
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Most (not all) late roster additions like the 4 we signed this week are more about the 2024 roster than now. It’s extremely rare that a ps player or even veteran FA who is available is going to swoop in and be some kind of big boost to the team.

It‘s good to see the Cowboys FO always churning the roster to get better. We often forget that 30-40% of the 53 man roster members that are on the team now won’t be next year. That’s just the nature of NFL roster management.

Very few NFL draft picks are plug and play. Player development is a huge part of any organization’s short term and long term success. Thank goodness fans aren’t in charge of our roster because there is zero patience to develop anyone, lol!
Excellent post.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So much for those who were excited about Bryant. Never thought he would play a snap for the team. I really don’t know why they even bothered signing him. Jalen Brooks needs more opportunities. He had a good training camp and has potential.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Based on the tweet, it seems like he was released due to taking up a veteran slot which are limited.

My guess is the team likely had no plans to play Bryant this season and were simply evaulating him while a veteran slot was availble so they could consider re-signing him in the off-season.
Guess we could call it very conservative move.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Nate Newton and Jesse Holley really trashing the ‘depth signings’ on their podcast. As Nate puts it, just another way of saying you can’t say anything positive about the guy. They seem to like the Damien Wilson signing, but think LC is a lost cause that fans are overrating and will only touch the field in worse case scenario. Nate said he had no hips left, and one knee already gone when he left the team and the only good thing about the signing was we can get back some of that dead money were still paying to him. (Joking.). Both said this franchise loves to hold on to guys forever and not release rookies so when you release LC with $10 million in dead cap, you know he’s done, and just perpetuates more of the bad habits this FO has on keeping guys too long. Said if you know you have a depth problem already, and you believe LC is capable of playing again, why are you waiting until the very end of the season, why didn’t you move on this earlier in the year or someone else on the trade deadline? I agree.
It's very possible on Collins, which is why he was available to be signed to a PS. However, he has been fighting through injuries since before we released him so we'll see if the time off just to work on his body and get healthy has done him any good. The team seemed pleased with what they saw before giving him another chance. Now, if he has to see any action, his body may just finish breaking down, but you just never know.

gimmesix

Reaction score
So much for those who were excited about Bryant. Never thought he would play a snap for the team. I really don’t know why they even bothered signing him. Jalen Brooks needs more opportunities. He had a good training camp and has potential.
I assume that he had a good workout and they were intrigued enough to take a longer look. Obviously, they didn't see enough in practice with him on the scout team to believe they absolutely had to keep him.