RELEASED Martavis Bryant and three others released from PS

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I assume that he had a good workout and they were intrigued enough to take a longer look. Obviously, they didn't see enough in practice with him on the scout team to believe they absolutely had to keep him.
In 4 NFL seasons he had under 2200 yards receiving and 17 TDs. The guy hadn’t played in the NFL in 5 years. The signing made little sense in my opinion when you have 2 young receivers making progress that need opportunities.

rambo2

Reaction score
In 4 NFL seasons he had under 2200 yards receiving and 17 TDs. The guy hadn’t played in the NFL in 5 years. The signing made little sense in my opinion when you have 2 young receivers making progress that need opportunities.
All practice squad signings are for depth.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
All practice squad signings are for depth.
They didn’t need him with the young developing WRs we have. They simply wanted to take a look but many fans were itching for him to play as if he was Dez Bryant in his prime.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Uhhh in English you call that praise, in your sarcasm they just said "he's the worst player ever!"
No, that's what people that deal in drama on websites call it.

I call it an indication of potential. Saying a car is worth taking for a test drive isn't praising that car, it's just saying the car has some features you want to look at more closely.

The Cowboys never even suggested Bryant was likely to make the active roster.

And I wasn't being sarcastic or suggesting anything remotely like "he's the worst player ever". I had no problem with them giving him a "test drive" on the practice squad. I was just stating the facts about what the Cowboys said when they signed him.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm more of a look under every stone type. We had an available spot on the PS at the time.

Head coach Mike McCarthy said that the evaluation to bring Bryant in for a workout came from Will McClay in evaluating Bryant's 2023 season in the XFL.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Just heard about it on Mark Holmes' channel. We will rue the day lol. In all seriousness, glad the team is churning the roster. I'd like to see another back (I know we just signed one yesterday) or olineman (I know we just brought back Collins) added for good measure.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
To those wondering the official site has Collins wearing 72 (guess Chuma Edoga keeps 71). McMath wears 80, Thompson 36, and Wilson is not listed yet.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I think the signing made sense in that his presence did not take away from either of those 2 young receivers getting their reps in practice and a few opportunities in games. Most reasonable people didn't think Bryant would have a huge impact with the team if any influence at all. Just a bottom of the roster churn. They got a nice look at him with little risk and have moved on.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm more of a look under every stone type. We had an available spot on the PS at the time.

Head coach Mike McCarthy said that the evaluation to bring Bryant in for a workout came from Will McClay in evaluating Bryant's 2023 season in the XFL.
That’s what they did, they kicked the tires and didn’t see enough to hang on to him. It was silly for some to think the Cowboys were getting him ready for the playoffs, when he hadn’t taken an NFL snap in 5 years.

joseephuss

Reaction score
To those wondering the official site has Collins wearing 72 (guess Chuma Edoga keeps 71). McMath wears 80, Thompson 36, and Wilson is not listed yet.
I don't think active players can switch numbers once the season starts. I could be wrong on this rule.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That’s what they did, they kicked the tires and didn’t see enough to hang on to him. It was silly for some to think the Cowboys were getting him ready for the playoffs, when he hadn’t taken an NFL snap in 5 years.
I always saw it as a futures signing since he'd been out of the game so long. Take him to camp and see if he can come back. Could still do it but someone else might pick him up and try.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think the signing made sense in that his presence did not take away from either of those 2 young receivers getting their reps in practice and a few opportunities in games. Most reasonable people didn't think Bryant would have a huge impact with the team if any influence at all. Just a bottom of the roster churn. They got a nice look at him with little risk and have moved on.
The signing was basically to see what he has left and security in the event of a key injury at WR. You don’t have a lot of reasonable people here which is why some were excited about the signing, thinking he was being prepared for the playoffs. :rolleyes: The Cowboys weren’t about to put him in a playoff game when he hadn’t taken a meaningful snap with the team.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Guess Bryant was just brought in for practice.
Like I said when he was signed, I believe Martavis Bryant was a Jerry Jones' move. Old Jerry was trying to see if he could outsmart everyone bringing in a player fresh off suspension that hasn't played in years. It was obvious when they asked McCarthy about Bryant being signed and he sounded less than enthusiastic. If Jimmy were still the coach he would have run Bryant until he got sick and quit. McCarthy seems to handle Jerry's meddling better than Jimmy or Parcells did. Of course this is just my best guess.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
you must be too young to remember billy white shoes johnson. But never the less hopefully those blue sude shoes didnt get stepped on
I am closing in on 60. I remember Billy White Shoes Johnson and Bum Phillips and Dan Pastorini. Good times. Even remember the song ‘We’re the Houston Oilers’ and Bum saying they were going to kick the door down the following year.

starfan1

Reaction score
I am closing in on 60. I remember Billy White Shoes Johnson and Bum Phillips and Dan Pastorini. Good times. Even remember the song ‘We’re the Houston Oilers’ and Bum saying they were going to kick the door down the following year.
I hated the steelers so much.still do!
when i wasnt rooting for the cowboys the oilers were my jam. Loved earl campbell and bum and pastorini etc. Billy white shoes was fun to watch