Martellus Bennett continue to impress

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I hope he takes success graciously. Cause he's going to get a lot better.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
I just had a feeling this kid would work out some kinks and get his mind and body into the game.

Sky is the limit for him and I am glad to have. I admit my mistakes. I made a mistake when I complained about the pick on draft day.

Good job Jerrah/Garrett/Wade on pretty much this entire draft.:bow:

Lifetimeboyzfan

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2448268 said:
As much as we like Bennett now, he will be even better next year.

We have the best 1-2 punch at TE in the league.

I agree. We have the best 1-2 punch at TE in the league right now and it will only get better... That is scary for the folks that done have the star on their helmets.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jobberone;2448278 said:
I hope he takes success graciously. Cause he's going to get a lot better.
His mindset is my only concern and has been since the draft and the Hard Knocks coverage of training camp. He's had superstar potential written on him since day one and he's been proving it on the field in very limited opportunities. Hopefully, he can stay centered and humble, because his success on the field can easily translate to success ventures off the field. Here's hoping that he doesn't get misled along the way.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
DallasEast;2448312 said:
His mindset is my only concern and has been since the draft and the Hard Knocks coverage of training camp. He's had superstar potential written on him since day one and he's been proving it on the field in very limited opportunities. Hopefully, he can stay centered and humble, because his success on the field can easily translate to success ventures off the field. Here's hoping that he doesn't get misled along the way.

Amen.;)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
DallasEast;2448312 said:

I'm worried his demeanor and outlandish remarks will be taken out of context or just beat up. Hopefully he can earn a niche with his colorful remarks and make good on it and his on field success. He's going to get better and make some hay.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
martellus is a beast. its time to go 2 tight all the time.

ddh33

Reaction score
As an athlete alone, he's amazing. I love how he's being used. Big weapon.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I like him, but I still don't think we needed to grab him in the 2nd round, we had more holes than getting another tight end. And we had Fasano (who we had reached on too), and last i checked (which admittedly was a while ago) he was doing decently in miami, considering they don't have much to work with at all.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Galian Beast;2448447 said:
I like him, but I still don't think we needed to grab him in the 2nd round, we had more holes than getting another tight end. And we had Fasano (who we had reached on too), and last i checked (which admittedly was a while ago) he was doing decently in miami, considering they don't have much to work with at all.

Fasano is filling the role of a receiving TE in Miami. We needed a second TE who was going to be more of a force as a blocker to play opposite of Witten. Fasano just wasn't a good fit here.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Teague31;2448367 said:
martellus is a beast. its time to go 2 tight all the time.

We definitely should be using 2 TE sets much more. If teams go big, we can split out Witten and Bennett to create mismatches in the secondary. If they go small, then that should create mismatches in blocking and lead to running opportunites.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Eskimo;2448457 said:
Fasano is filling the role of a receiving TE in Miami. We needed a second TE who was going to be more of a force as a blocker to play opposite of Witten. Fasano just wasn't a good fit here.

A receiving tight end? He hasn't had more than three catches in a game since the opener. And I don't think he's exceeded the 40-yard mark in like a month and a half.

Edit: Fasano has 11 catches for 155 yards and 1 TD in the last six games. Witten nearly had that today alone. Not to pick an argument, but I'm not sure that quantifies as "receiving TE" production.

Eskimo

Reaction score
RainMan;2448601 said:
A receiving tight end? He hasn't had more than three catches in a game since the opener. And I don't think he's exceeded the 40-yard mark in like a month and a half.

I'm not arguing he is great, just that he wouldn't contribute much here as we don't need a 1-dimensional receiver (his blocking here was atrocious) to play opposite Witten in 2-TE sets.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Eskimo;2448609 said:
I'm not arguing he is great, just that he wouldn't contribute much here as we don't need a 1-dimensional receiver (his blocking here was atrocious) to play opposite Witten in 2-TE sets.

Agreed he wasn't a fit here anymore. I rose an eyebrow to taking Martellus on day one of the draft -- talent and all -- but we clearly got a guy that does all kinds of things better. For Bennett's better blocking ability, he's also a heck of a lot better receiving threat for us, too. Just complements Witten so well.

joseephuss

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2448053 said:
I'm loving every play he makes for us cause I was one of those who was quite pleased to have him when we drafted him instead of crying about the fact that we traded Fasano just to draft a new TE.

Well for those who thought that was stupid, this is why they did it, cause this kid is 10x the playmaker Fasano was for us.

I mean how many TD's did Fasano catch in his time here? I don't think he even had the 4 that Bennett already has but if he does it couldn't be many more than that 4.

This kid is a playmaker and it was a great job of trading Anthony and using our second round pick on this kid.

Fasano caught 1 TD during his two seasons in Dallas. He has caught 3 TDs this year for Miami giving him 4 TDs total for his career.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
Yea he's turning out to be someone pretty special. Glad Parcells robbed us of "his guy". He did us a favor for once.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Fasano isnt here because Garrett said he didnt fit the offense. There was talk he couldnt get his assignments or routes down, and we all saw he was never more than average blocker at best.

Bennett is already a far better player than Fasano ever was (or probably will be) and is a hard nosed blocker, something else Fasano will never be either. Bennett also had the handicap of coming out of the Dennis Franchione offensive system at Texas A&M so the learning curve for him was greater, but he is already better. Imagine how good he'll be in another year or two.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
Keeping Fasano would have been good though. Bennett is the ****, Getting better with each game.

Eskimo

Reaction score
joseephuss;2449123 said:
Fasano caught 1 TD during his two seasons in Dallas. He has caught 3 TDs this year for Miami giving him 4 TDs total for his career.

Fasano also dropped a TD in the NFCC game.